Leggett Logistics (freightways)

herbington:
i see a few changes have happened at duck lees lane of late ! first this

POINTBID LOGISTICS SYSTEMS LTD
Director(s): METROPOLITAN HOUSE, STATION ROAD, CHEADLE HULME CHEADLE SK8 7AZ
Removed operating centre: 102 EAST DUCK LEES LANE, PONDERS END , ENFIELD EN3 7SS
New operating centre: CHINGFORD ISLAND, HARBERT ROAD , LONDON E4 8ST (0 vehicle(s), 0 trailer(s))
New authorisation at this operating centre will be: 45 vehicle(s), 45 trailer(s)
and it seems they have sold it and renamed themselves
beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/02231266
makes for some interesting reading

If you look up Harbert Rd E4, you come up with this, just of the A406 Nth Circular Rd

Enfield’s postcode EN3 7SS now brings up a plan for some fancy commercial units. Could be a redevelopment of the original ones.

do a search for Segro (Lee Park Distribution) Limited) brings up all sorts of info
here is a little example
beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/comp … 6/officers

scroll down the list you may recognise a few

new in June 1994 ended up as the shunter in swindon till the end in 2007 presume it went to either enfield or Birmingham would love to know how it got there seeing it had no tax or mot

herbington:
would love to know how it got there seeing it had no tax or mot

I would guess that John just asked for it to be driven up on a night trunk :wink:

herbington:
i see a few changes have happened at duck lees lane of late ! first this

POINTBID LOGISTICS SYSTEMS LTD
Director(s): METROPOLITAN HOUSE, STATION ROAD, CHEADLE HULME CHEADLE SK8 7AZ
Removed operating centre: 102 EAST DUCK LEES LANE, PONDERS END , ENFIELD EN3 7SS
New operating centre: CHINGFORD ISLAND, HARBERT ROAD , LONDON E4 8ST (0 vehicle(s), 0 trailer(s))
New authorisation at this operating centre will be: 45 vehicle(s), 45 trailer(s)
and it seems they have sold it and renamed themselves
beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/02231266
makes for some interesting reading

Hi All,

Just stumbled across this site. I still work for Pointbid Logistics and have now been here for 26 years!!! You get less for life…lol. I was the office manager at the Bredbury office and now Cheadle Hulme, although there is only myself (Lee Madden), Edward Rodriguez and Alan Cook here now. Enfield was sold after Theo Paphitis bought out Robert Dyas and decided to run the operation, along with his other company Ryman, out of a new warehouse in Hemel Hempstead. Pointbid had that contract for 15+ years and run it faultlessly, but the depot itself was so old (although it sold for a tidy sum being in London) it obviously wasn’t to Theo’s high standards. Segro bought the depot along with Pointbid PLC who owned it, hence the name change, so we just operate under the Pointbid Logistics Systems name now. The Chingford site is not really a depot, more a piece of land to park vehicles on, they are not even ours, someone is renting the land from us to park on. We have a big depot in Aston, Birmingham which we operate from plus the accounts office here in Cheadle Hulme. As someone stated above Keith France did pass away a few months ago, I went to the funeral as I was quite close to Liz and Keith, quite a shock! Did get to see some familiar faces though, Barry Dudley, Eddie Tipton and some other drivers I’ve forgot the names of, Gary Healey from Reddish Warehouse was also in attendance.

Anyway I’ll stop rambling on now, it was good to see all the old pictures on here. One thing about Leggett’s though, everyone who has left and I’m still in contact with always say, it was the best time of their life working at Leggett’s, great people and even though the pay wasn’t always the best, they wish they were still here.

what became of Roy Cook and Paul kirk are they still around or have they moved on for the last I heard of PK was that he was being made up to a director

herbington:
what became of Roy Cook and Paul kirk are they still around or have they moved on for the last I heard of PK was that he was being made up to a director

Roy Cook is still a director and Paul Kirk is also a director now, he runs the operation out of the Birmingham site. Colin and Graham Linney are still going, Colin lives in Switzerland and Graham lives in Portugal. They still have involvement in the business, they come over for board meetings every now and again!.

bredbury01:

herbington:

Roy Cook is still a director and Paul Kirk is also a director now, he runs the operation out of the Birmingham site. Colin and Graham Linney are still going, Colin lives in Switzerland and Graham lives in Portugal. They still have involvement in the business, they come over for board meetings every now and again!.

Bredbury01, Do you know if Harry is still with us? I had a lot of time for Harry, he taught a number one rule in business that was how to add two plus two and always come to the answer five, very cute man, I had thirteen years with them out of Chingford on the European side finished in 1990, and knew Roy Cook from his days as a director on for Howe European, also heard the sad news of the death of Terry Carr, I’m still in touch with some of the old London and Bredbury European drivers, had some good times on for Leggetts never regretted a minute of it, happy days.

Ossie

Terry Carr was one of the greats remember him well while I was doing security over at the old depot in Shrivenham next to the rail line He had these two guard dogs that he kept there in an old rail waggon vicious as hell they were except when terry was around then they were as soft as a brush You never argued with terry although a couple of people did and lost He liked swindon a lot
The last I saw of him was in 2007 just before the depot closed at that time he was residing overseas somewhere

not my pic ,this lorry was origionaly a 2 axle demonstrator and has a 6lyt

that motor C425 ANC was a beast it was used to pull the tyre loads from reddish to Scotland it was a sed ak 401 but with a higher rated engine in it It paid a visit to Swindon a couple of times you could hear the thing for miles if you wanted to shift a mountain then that was the motor to use

here are a couple of old pics of some of the staff The first is one of the security staff Les Turner A very nice chap quiet and reserved but with a great sense of humour he was an ex RMC
The other pic is just some of the day crew the woman standing goes by the name of Marina for the life of me I cannot remember her surname

A couple more from the archives all taken in 2004 the first being the ex transport coordinator Andy Milne
The next up is a shot of a couple of those raised double decked trailers we ended up with four of them all used for the makro deliveries which worked out very well At the start we had to load them at the side of the loading bay as there were no electrics on the loading dock to power the decks for lifting So we had to keep the shunter coupled up and plugged in which was time consuming And lastly is just a random shot of the rear of the warehouse the crane is off loading some equipment for the premises next door which in turn delayed the container as seen on the right waiting to be tipped in to the second warehouse the trailers on the left are the overnight deliveries from reddish enfield and Birmingham

its ten years to the day 15/12/2007 since Leggett (Swindon) shut its doors for good

Time certainly flies! Twelve years in February for Peterlee.

Hi Everyone,

I’m new here. I’m not technically a truck driver - but come appealing for information :slight_smile:

My partners dad Rick (Richard) Taylor was quite high up in Leggets, I want to say director/manager at the Bredbury/Stockport Depot?
He sadly passed away about 15 years ago, and my partner, Matt was left with nothing to remember his dad by. He tells me his Dad loved working for Leggets and had a light in his eye whenever he mentioned it.
He had little models of the Leggett trucks which he used to play with - I’m trying to find some to pass on to him. I think it would mean the world if I could track some down, which he could show our sons and talk about his dad.

Does anyone know where I can start tracking these down?

IF you have any recollection of Ricky, or comments, they would be deeply appreciated. I’m going to compile all info together to give to him…

Thanks so much!

Imogen

I remember Rick Taylor, he was in charge of the Euro operations out of Bredbury depot. I worked at the Reddish depot and met with him a couple of times with regards to Irish traffic and sub contracting. Thoroughly nice bloke with a sharp sense of humour. I don’t recall any Leggett models, could have been from before my time though.

Thank you for your lovely comment. Matt definitely inherited that sharp whit! I’m so glad you remember him, thank you for letting me know about the models and sharing your memories of Rick.