Legal or not? URGENT

Hi guys

I’ve been working from 7am this morning and done roughly 2 hours drive time. If I stopped at 9am, have 9 off and start at 7:30 tonight, can I then legally drive a 10 hour shift?

I’ve been working from 7am this morning and done roughly 2 hours drive time. If I stopped at 9am, have 9 off and start at 7:30 tonight, can I then legally drive a 10 hour shift?

Assuming things like weekly rests etc are in place, then the short answer is YES.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Yes, could start at 6 if you wanted.

Sam Millar:

Yes you can :wink:

edited because I screwed up the first reply :blush:

Pretty sure I will be enlightened shortly but…
I know Sam will have had a 9hr rest but doesn’t his 24hr period start at this morning at 7.00 am so therefore he will have driven for 12 hrs :question:

Foxstein:
Pretty sure I will be enlightened shortly but…
I know Sam will have had a 9hr rest but doesn’t his 24hr period start at this morning at 7.00 am so therefore he will have driven for 12 hrs :question:

No the 24 hour period starts at the end of a daily rest period or reduced daily rest period, the 9 to 11 hours rest is a reduced daily rest period.

Yes, but stay the hell away from me if you’ve been awake for that length of time.

Stupid in my book.

Where did he say he’s staying awake?

Sam Millar:
Hi guys

Providing you have access to a bed/bunk then yes that is legal BUT IS IT SAFE??

Assuming you have a good nights kip before starting at 7am then you are likely to be getting tired before midnight and I doubt you will be able to sleep in those 9 hours off so starting a new shift at 730 pm is likely to become unsafe

This has been a big safety issue in the PCV world

Hope your trunk run goes ok Sam. Take it easy out there.

You can drive a 10 hour shift, have 9 hours rest and drive a further 10 hour shift.

If you are going to do fridge or food work, you better get used to it.

Why would it be unsafe, you are getting 9 hours rest, no one gets that at home

tachograph:

Sam Millar:

Yes you can :wink:

edited because I screwed up the first reply :blush:

That’s a first for you regarding driving hours. Just shows your human.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I had sleep in between the shifts obviously and also take the opportunity to have a nap on bay as the warehouse chap comes out and knocks on ya door when he’s done anyway. Shift went great, was glad they asked me again. Was very proud with my reverse onto the bay, it’s a pitch black yard and even with hazards and all on you can barely see the lines for the bay as they’re all faded. Will post a small diary later on. Off to sleep now! zZzZzz

Good times indeed Mr Sam. Here’s a Luke’s Top Tip! Because I often have to do things like this, ie short shift then back to bed to start again at night, I use Sleepaid from Tesco. Knock you out. Down one of them with a glass of milk and I can sleep well anytime. Need to get it from the pharmacy counter. Not for use every night of course but ideal for situations like this and when on the ferry and sharing the cabin with a snoring elephant.

This site recommends using magnets, false instruments and sedatives for drivers.

Sam is 19, by the time he reaches maturity, he will be having regular visits to a shrink :stuck_out_tongue:

Warnings: On outer carton:WARNINGS THESE TABLETS MAY CAUSE DROWSINESS WHICH CAN PERSIST INTO THE FOLLOWING DAY; IF AFFECTED DO NOT DRIVE OR OPERATE MACHINERY. AVOID ALCOHOLIC DRINK. Keep out of the reach and sight of children. If you are pregnant, seek your doctor’s advice before taking this product. Do not use if blister is broken. Do not use these tablets after the expiry date shown on the pack.

Tesco Sleep Aid; Hops, Valerian, Passion Flower

Anti histamine sedatives

Fine dont take them then. It is after all much safer to drive after no sleep at all. They work for me and I feel great after a sleep on them

Im not sure why you asked the question Sam? , do tell me im wrong but didnt you drive a night shift( with the artic) after doing a days work last week ?

switchlogic:
Fine dont take them then. It is after all much safer to drive after no sleep at all. They work for me and I feel great after a sleep on them

Luke.

You know better than anyone how the media love stuff like this, within a week it will be every Tesco driver on the UK roads will be accused of taking drugs to meet a shops deadline. Look how Stobart have everyone portrayed as missing deadlines by 5 minutes.

Maybe I am strange, but as a lorry driver I have never even touched a pro plus or a can of red bull to stay awake. If you are tired you will sleep, if your not tired, it is doubtful that you will clean a family of six up.

Sam asked what the law was, he was told and he made his choice from there. What he did was totally safe and comments like “if he has only had 9 hours off, I don’t want to be near him” are stupid, although I realise it wasn’t you

I proffer Own Account Driver’s Tip Top - which is a milk based, rather than over the counter pharmacological, solution to insomnia.

Waitrose do, or certainly used to do, a special bedtime milk to help you go to sleep. I bought it once for 10p when I used to always go in just before closing and buy reduced stuff. Drank it in the cab (word of warning unlike other supermarkets Waitrose car parks aren’t even 7.5t friendly let alone artic) and about 20 mins later could hardly keep my eyes open.

I sometimes wonder if VOSA thinks drivers just turn off like a battery-powered robot when the tacho mode is changed to rest.

Wheel Nut:

switchlogic:

Luke.

You know better than anyone how the media love stuff like this, within a week it will be every Tesco driver on the UK roads will be accused of taking drugs to meet a shops deadline. Look how Stobart have everyone portrayed as missing deadlines by 5 minutes.

Maybe I am strange, but as a lorry driver I have never even touched a pro plus or a can of red bull to stay awake. If you are tired you will sleep, if your not tired, it is doubtful that you will clean a family of six up.

Sam asked what the law was, he was told and he made his choice from there. What he did was totally safe and comments like “if he has only had 9 hours off, I don’t want to be near him” are stupid, although I realise it wasn’t you

No I didn’t make those comments. BUT, in the context they were made you cam sort of see what they are saying. If he started that morning and worked for a couple of hours, then had 9 off followed by a 10 hour drive with no sleep in that 9 he would be heading for 24 hours awake by the end of the second shift. Hence my suggestion because not doubt you can but I can’t work for a couple hours and go back to bed tired. Two hours work doesn’t tire me