legal length

Pretty interesting day today delivering plastic pipe to a construction site . Well not really but what they intend to do with the pipe when its welded together and the length of it are - and it got me thinking -
the pipes are 13.5m / 45 foot long each so thats a lot of joints and at the lengths they are going to thats an awful lot of joints .
Are the pipes made to fit standard trailer sizes here in the UK/Ireland ?
I assume they could be made to any size the customer required ?
If so then the limiting factor becomes trailer length.
So how long can an extendable trailer be extended to , and still be within the law ? ie how long could an extendable trailer be and not require special types / movement permits etc and still operate at 44 ton ? Do steering axles have any bearing on length or do they just help on the roundabouts / road junctions etc ?

I know its a lot of questions for a Friday night but Dozys steak is burnt/ or somebody else is eating it and the unions are sorting out Brexit and pay . lol

You can go up to a 2m over hang on the back. So that takes you to 15.5m

Im pretty sure its 18m on an extender.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

El Deano:

Yes quite correct 18m rigid length before notification is required.

nyk473l:

El Deano:

Thanks people .
Onwards

nyk473l:

El Deano:

Other EU countries say no overhang over sides or rear, so most loads are to EU standards. No big company will design machinery or stuff for just one market.
Hence few pipes longer than 13.5m. 15m may make sense in the UK/Eire but it’s a smaller market.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

El Deano:

Sorry if iam misunderstanding but you can overhang up to 3050 ? Well I do anyway :laughing:

My disappointment at not discovering what Dipper has been up to whilst being awol and the accompanying film review is palpable…

I worked for one of the manufacturers - 18m on extenders is common, (plus coils up to 180mm diameter).
Common sizes are sold from stock hence standard lengths of 6 & 12m, anything else is made to order length dictated by delivery site access.

So if 18 meters is a legal length at 44 ton for indivisible loads thats roughly 33% longer and therefore a third less joints needed in the pipe . Less chance of leaks and a stronger pipe when welded together.

Crossroads:
I worked for one of the manufacturers - 18m on extenders is common, (plus coils up to 180mm diameter).
Common sizes are sold from stock hence standard lengths of 6 & 12m, anything else is made to order length dictated by delivery site access.

Trailer manufacturer or pipe manufacturer ?

Punchy Dan:

El Deano:

Sorry if iam misunderstanding but you can overhang up to 3050 ? Well I do anyway [emoji38]

3m at the front.
2m to the rear.
Up to 18m on extender. (18.65m according to CMPG)
Up to 3.5m wide without ■■■■■■.
Over 3.5m with ■■■■■■.

Over 2.9m must be marked and lit at night.

I know that the standard lengths of oil well drill pipe were set to allow them to fit on standard US railway goods wagons.

beefy4605:

Crossroads:

Pipe

Crossroads:

beefy4605:

Crossroads:

Pipe

I’ll send you a pm with more details.

Pic of the load .

20180914_124257.jpg

But remember momentum is a ■■■■■

facebook.com/portalbrd24/vi … 680983778/

Maximum rear overhang (without police notification) is 3.05m providing a marker board is used. Maximum oveeall length (without police notification) is 18.75m

I don’t know what drivers get so twitchy about ,yrs ago I used to 12 meter lengths on a sprinter .

TheNewBoy:
But remember momentum is a ■■■■■

facebook.com/portalbrd24/vi … 680983778/

only 1 pipe on the top (4th) row and its not above the headboard . Thats a good strong headboard 4 big steel uprights and a good 4 or 5 mm metal sheet covering it #paddyspec lol

They do those plastic pipes in 18mt lengths as well, we used to take them up to Invergordon regularly