Legal help needed

Looking for recommendations really for good solicitors/lawyers.

Finally after what has been a 3 year battle with the DVLA/DMG they have given me back my LGV licence. For a long time I thought it wouldn’t happen but things changed after the PHSO report came out last year highlighting the huge failings at the DVLA, especially the DMG.

It still took them another year though, and things only really started happening when the Independent Complaints Assessor contacted me explaining they wanted to take on my case.

The ICA were fantastic and I feel it is their involvement that at kong last got the DVLA to finally, (probably through gritted teeth) make the right decision, all be it some 2 and a half years too late.

I have received a lack lustre apology from Swansea and they have sent me the forms to claim compensation to what I think I am owed. Now i’m Under no false illusion that my opinion and the DVLA’s will differ hugely here, hence the reason I think good legal advice is needed.

Has anyone been in a similar situation, or does anyone have recommendations for a good legal company?

TIA

Was you in work at the time and then lost employment due to lack of license. Is so then just add up your lower wages then fling in some pain and suffering. Make sure you find a lawyer that’s not going to take a good chunk of your money.

Your car or home insurance may include legal representation, which doesn’t necessarily need to be about an accident. Check your policies.

What was your licence revoked for, if you dont mind me asking?

Reason I ask, is because my best mate of 30 years, had his car licence revoked by the DVLA in 2016 because he is a diabetic, and is currently in the process of taking the DVLA to court to get it back. They, (The DVLA.) have put him out of work, and onto the scrapheap. Being a proud man, and a tax payer since he left school, he hates it. He has had all of the subsequent tests, and passed them all with flying colours, but still they are playing ping pong with him.

Ken.

I was indeed at work at the time. The loss of earnings will be the easy bit, it’s trying to put a monetary figure on the stress and depression issues their rulings caused.

I will look into the insurance thing.

Quinny, I had a fall and suffered a couple of fractures on my skull and some internal bleeding around the brain. Luckily I was only in hospital for a week and then four months later was given the all clear by my neuro consultant.

2 weeks later the DMG, (inept idiots that they are) decided they disagreed with the neuro consultant and overruled his decision. In their ‘expert’ (a contradiction in terms) opinion I was a seizure risk, this is when the real battle began. Worth noting, I still to this day have never had a seizure in my life!!!

Just so your mate knows what he could be up against when dealing with the antiquated faceless idiots that are the DMG here are a few things I have learned.

The DMG meet twice annually and are mainly made up of retired and semi retired experts in various medical fields. During my battle in those 3 years, not 1 of these experts specific fields was in neurology.

Also once the meeting is finished they will not make any final decisions on what has been discussed, instead they make guidelines that they then pass to the medical doctors at the DMG/DVLA to make the final rulings. Worth noting that these doctors are at GP level, not specific in any relevant medical field.

Your friend will never be able to talk directly to any of these so called experts, only a medical professional representing your friend can.
The DMG also refuse to communicate via phone and email, you have to correspond with them via letter and the postal service. On average they take 4 weeks to reply. May sound like i’m exaggerating here, but there are a fair few on trucknet that have had similar issues.

Sadly i’m Only just scratching the surface here, the DMG/DVLA are a disgrace, luckily this has been proven and is now in black and white in the PHSO report. It’s s long report, but I would highly recommend your friend had a tead.

I honestly understand his pain and frustration, I was also a proud man, who had paid all of his taxes, but when I had my accident it counted for nothing. I only ever got SSP, the government and benefits agency said I wasn’t entitled to a penny. Bit by bit, the DVLA/DMG slowly destroyed me, both financially and emotionally the strain it can put you through is unreal. I sold anything decent I once owned just to get by and you lose your self worth, at times I even questioned why I was here and carrying on, that’s how dark it can get.

Still to this day I have a deep inside hatred of those responsible, especially those at the DMG. Oliver Morley the lemon in charge of the DVLA, the Minister of Transport and the DMG will all tell you that they have taken note of the PHSO report and are working at addressing the issues raised. I very much have my doubts.

If you locked me in a room with them to discuss their failings, i’d only be leaving that room in handcuffs.

Tell your mate to keep records of everything, dates times, names, etc, etc.
I luckily did and it has been very handy for both myself and the guy st the I C A.

All I want now is what i’m owed back.

Can’t help you directly as I’ve never been in your situation but I would assume the two starting points would be the Law Society, who will provide you with a list of all suitable solicitors who practice in that area, and Citizens Advice who will provide you with a more local list but also the legal procedure before you select a solicitor.

May or may not be of any help, but have you spoken to your MP?

Two and a half years wages minus any benefits (if any) and £10K a year compensation so £25K would be a fair figure. (imho)

Are you in a union? Free legal cover…?

It’s a bit late now but for the benefit of others (to whom this type of thing will never happen), United Road Transport Union (URTU) would have sorted this for you on a one to one basis and free of charge, long ago. You can’t stand alone against government and/or employers. You need professional cover from the day you start driving.

dont have any faith with union solicitors Low level

simcant:
dont have any faith with union solicitors Low level

My experience is just the opposite. URTU solicitors won me £1,700. I wasn’t in hosp. o/night and had only 2 days off sick but their solicitors proved that the Co. was negligent. URTU were willing to take it to court but the big ones decided to settle because they had no defence. URTU solicitors are high level and they have proved it.

Piston Broke, because of your signature I’ll now have to think of another. :unamused: I don’t know who was first but I’ll change mine as I’ve had it a while :wink:

AndrewG:
Two and a half years wages minus any benefits (if any) and £10K a year compensation so £25K would be a fair figure. (imho)

Are you for real ? 25K for 2.5 years …

Pain and suffering alone is worth 25k …

Average wage plus overtime etc … for 2.5 years at 25k a year is 62,500. Total 87.5k

Minus government help if any … 25k 100 a week for unemployment, plus 125 fro HB and council tax …

Want to claim minimum 62k … plus Legal costs … they have accepted liability.

dri-diddly-iver:
Piston Broke, because of your signature I’ll now have to think of another. :unamused: I don’t know who was first but I’ll change mine as I’ve had it a while :wink:

:smiley: Yeah, so have I :smiley:

You keep it if you want to - I don’t come on here too much now, for various reasons, so I’ll bin it… :smiley:

Just for clarity, I think I had it first and you copied me… it’s like a one man fan club :grimacing: :grimacing:

:laughing: :laughing: I’ve changed it. Was going to use Mrs Puggy Wuggy had a square cut punt…but I think the mods might have a word :wink:

dri-diddly-iver:
:lol: :laughing: I’ve changed it. Was going to use Mrs Puggy Wuggy had a square cut punt…but I think the mods might have a word :wink:

:laughing: :laughing:

Makes mine a little pointless again now…thanks for that! :smiley: :smiley:

Chilli, really hope you get a result out of those swines after what they put you through, worth an email to Andrew here.

counsel.direct/cases/

iguana:
Chilli, really hope you get a result out of those swines after what they put you through, worth an email to Andrew here.

counsel.direct/cases/

Cheers mate, will do. Have you used him?

Thanks to all for input :slight_smile:

Hope you get what you deserve, has anyone gone the magistrate route to get the DVLA’s or TC’s decision overruled?