Legal fuel alternative

Was on a site today and another driver was telling us that his guvnor runs his trucks on a legal type of fuel that costs about £1 a litre here in the UK. It wasn’t red diesel which I know is illegal for road use . In short is he talking b%%%%cks or is he right.

might be using bio-diesel made from used cooking oil. i used to make my own but the small scale costs made about the same as pump price diesel.

mucker85:
might be using bio-diesel made from used cooking oil. i used to make my own but the small scale costs made about the same as pump price diesel.

Have you noticed that cooking oil now sort of tracks the pump price of diesel? It used to be less than a third of the price of diesel but as people got wise to using it for fuel it suddenly increased in price. :unamused:

Maybe it was that . Is it legal and is it avaliable commercially or do you have to do it yourself.

Roller265:
Is it legal and is it avaliable commercially

biodieselfillingstations.co.uk/

I tried running a VW Passat on bio fuel a few years ago. According to the handbook it would run on bio fuel without any mods. It ran fine, just wouldn’t start when the engine was warm so I went back to diesel.

I run my 97 discovery on it with no probs when I can get hold of it. I was paying £1.05 a litre in about 6 months ago. Mcdonalds are running there trucks on it so it says on the sides of the trailers.

There is a guy round Gateshead / Newcastle selling bio, first ad I saw a few years ago it was £1 a litre. I thought great, cheap enough to have a big engine jobbie, so I started to think about changing my car and fancied a 4x4 Pajero.

That was until he then put the price up to £1.10 a litre shortly after.

Guess bio is going the same way as LPG, cheap as when it first comes out, then up it creeps.

Remember the government bleating on about LPG, ‘cleaner, greener, blah blah blah’

Everyone converts, then they yank the price up close enough to petrol and diesel to not make it worth it and you’re stuck! (Mainly LPG people I think anyway).

Goldfinger, I don’t know where you get LPG that is almost the price of petrol.I pay 69.9p per litre for LPG, and £1.38 for petrol.
I do agree though, that it has gone up a lot recently. 15 years ago I paid 22p.

convert2green.co.uk

this company makes bio diesel out of cooking oil, they also run old tankers, an erf 8 wheeler tanker a sed akti 4 wheeler tanker and a 6 wheeler ex milk tanker daf 85.along with a rancid selection of 7.5t and some luton vans.always jobs going here due to the nature of the work.

Goldfinger:
There is a guy round Gateshead / Newcastle selling bio, first ad I saw a few years ago it was £1 a litre. I thought great, cheap enough to have a big engine jobbie, so I started to think about changing my car and fancied a 4x4 Pajero.

That was until he then put the price up to £1.10 a litre shortly after.

Guess bio is going the same way as LPG, cheap as when it first comes out, then up it creeps.

Remember the government bleating on about LPG, ‘cleaner, greener, blah blah blah’

Everyone converts, then they yank the price up close enough to petrol and diesel to not make it worth it and you’re stuck! (Mainly LPG people I think anyway).

Same thing happened when unleaded first came out.
regards dave