legal advice!

i was pulled by her majestys finest,yesterday,sumons for no insurance on the company lorry!!,anyone had experiance of this asked company for help,but not sure if i can trust em! :cry:

You have nothing to worry about you cannot legally be held responsible for the insurance status of your employers vehicle. Have you been charged then?

Did the police give you a 7 day producer?

You can only ask the company if the vehicle is insured, unless you travel abroad it is unlikely the insurance certificate is carried on the vehicle. If the company tell you it is insured, there isn’t much else you can do

How long have the company had the truck? If it is a recent acquisition then it might not have been added to the fleet insurance and show up on the MID. The company may also have recently changed insurer with the same effect.

Doesn’t really matter though as it isn’t your problem.

Road Traffic Act 1988 section 143

(3) A person charged with using a motor vehicle in contravention of this section shall not be convicted if he proves–
(a) that the vehicle did not belong to him and was not in his possession under a contract of hiring or of loan,
(b) that he was using the vehicle in the course of his employment, and
© that he neither knew nor had reason to believe that there was not in force in relation to the vehicle such a policy of insurance or security as is mentioned in subsection (1) above.

If you really have got a summons for you personally, then you need to show that the vehicle wasn’t yours (the Police National Computer check will show that) and that you were driving in the course of your work (a pay slip for the week in question might be an idea). I’d be very surprised if you do end up before the beak to have to prove this, but if I was asked to appear I’d send the above to the clerk of the court first, along with an explanatory letter.

the police puuled me up in a company van and took me to court for no insurance ,no seatbelt, rear bulb not working
the judge throw out the no insurance and defective bulbb and i got fined £30 with £30 costs for the no seatbelt
the copper was in court as i went not guilty and the look on his face when he heard what i got was priceless as he thought id get a ban or points atleast :laughing:

Hi,thanks for the replys,i did get 7 day producer,i filled the back in,they have took a copy of licence,now awaiting court dates,i have printed copys of that road traffic act off,and taken legal advice on my own even though company say they will pay,but will keep people informed,still very angry about it tbh!

duffus:
Hi,thanks for the replys,i did get 7 day producer,i filled the back in,they have took a copy of licence,now awaiting court dates,i have printed copys of that road traffic act off,and taken legal advice on my own even though company say they will pay,but will keep people informed,still very angry about it tbh!

I’d just reply to the summons with a copy of your licence as requested and a letter stating that you aren’t the vehicle owner including details of the company who you work for and whose vehicle it is. Also say in the letter that you have forwarded the summons to the company for their attention and that no further correspondence will be entered in to regarding the matter.

Were you given a fixed penalty notice for this? Have you given a statement? Have you been cautioned? You’re not making this very clear.