Left Tacho Card in Truck Overnight

Did the classic. Opened my truck wallet this morning to see no card. It was in the truck. Did I set Rest as the last action? To quote Ozzy Man, “Yeah,Nah”. Great! So CPC taught me what to do. Print out to check the damage. Talked to TM. He said print off another for us fill out the back.
Here is where we get to the point of my post. I set off and the truck started flagging up “Take Rest Period Immediately!” I ignored it as I thought it was ■■■■■■■■ about no rest over night. After the third prompt I called up the driving hours page. Because I had not rested overnight the driving hours were carried over. So after 10 mins on the road the card was showing 4H01M driving hours and the 15M break from yesterday. I didn’t need the full 45M so driving hours were not cleared.
What I did was pull over took a 30 min break clearing the driving hours so could continue with the short day.

Lessons.
1). I must develop a leaving cab routine.
2). I will not put Other Work, Rest to show DVLA what I think they want to see. Trying to put 2 mins of Other Work got me into this mess.
At my Yard the end of shift is handing Banksman keys and telling them truck is empty. 40 seconds and I am walking to car.
3). The Tacho and card have their own logic. I had not had the full 45M break so even though I came back to the truck 16H later driving hours had not reset.

Good luck out there.

Falcon JSDF:
What I did was pull over took a 30 min break clearing the driving hours so could continue with the short day.

That’s it, get back on track for that new day with print outs to explain the mistake.

We’ve all done it at least once. I vaguely recall I managed to do it twice. This is one reason why I got into the habit of setting it to rest once I’d parked up, (yes I know I’m risking starting off the old debate that there’s no requirement to do that :unamused: )

Good idea, at least would get me in the habit of looking up at the tacho every time I stop.

Falcon JSDF:
2). I will not put Other Work, Rest to show DVLA what I think they want to see. Trying to put 2 mins of Other Work got me into this mess.
At my Yard the end of shift is handing Banksman keys and telling them truck is empty. 40 seconds and I am walking to car.

Good luck out there.

So you are going to falsify your records instead, which is far more serious than leaving your card in by mistake! Giving the keys to the banksman is other work and should be recorded as such, what about when you arrive at work in the morning, do you go and find the banksman to get the keys?..Also other work.

Good catch, I phrased that wrong. The truck defaults to Other Work when it comes to a halt. So it will be in Other work when I hand the keys through the window.

shullbit:
So you are going to falsify your records instead, which is far more serious than leaving your card in by mistake! Giving the keys to the banksman is other work and should be recorded as such, what about when you arrive at work in the morning, do you go and find the banksman to get the keys?..Also other work.

Given that handing over a set of keys is the “work” of seconds, I would not consider that as sufficient time that needs to be accounted for. Leaving off less than one minute of “other work” is not going to be classed as “falsifying records” by anyone. More practically, it would be impossible for anyone to monitor.

Even big name companies who are sticklers for the rules wouldn’t expect this: I did a stint for DHL 2018 to 2019, and even the likes of those people were only interested in 15 minute increments. For example, if you needed to do an ME to account for collecting your paperwork at 6:06 am would tell you to start the ME from 06:00.

My tacho defaults to rest when I switch ignition off. So much better.

Falcon JSDF:
Did the classic. Opened my truck wallet this morning to see no card. It was in the truck. Did I set Rest as the last action? To quote Ozzy Man, “Yeah,Nah”. Great! So CPC taught me what to do. Print out to check the damage. Talked to TM. He said print off another for us fill out the back.
Here is where we get to the point of my post. I set off and the truck started flagging up “Take Rest Period Immediately!” I ignored it as I thought it was ■■■■■■■■ about no rest over night. After the third prompt I called up the driving hours page. Because I had not rested overnight the driving hours were carried over. So after 10 mins on the road the card was showing 4H01M driving hours and the 15M break from yesterday. I didn’t need the full 45M so driving hours were not cleared.

Lessons.
1). I must develop a leaving cab routine.
3). The Tacho and card have their own logic. I had not had the full 45M break so even though I came back to the truck 16H later driving hours had not reset.

Good luck out there.

At the end of a hard day or week, things can get a bit foggy. There is a reason why most workers only work 8-9 hours!

If you have a routine such as putting your finish time in your diary, sweeping out the driver footwell etc, even having a walk-round to check the fuel cap is on and you remembered the numberplate, then this will last at least a couple of minutes, then ejecting is the last thing. Sometimes I instinctively look in my wallet to check I have my card maybe on the walk to the car or something. No extra keys in your pocket that you have forgotten to hand over too.