Left-Hand Drive B-series ERFs

ERF-NGC-European:
Just found this on the internet.

Phil Horridge as above

robthedog:

ERF-NGC-European:
Just found this on the internet.

Phil Horridge as above

Yes indeed. You’ll find several other pictures of Phil Horridge’s B-series on this thread. You’ll also find pictures of its predecessor on the ERF Eureopean 1975 thread, along with quotes from drivers who drove them.
:wink:

That Swiss unit has popped up again.

9d2aa16653ef507a9708517b538cdfb6--orient-express-trucks.jpg

Trans Arabia 123 with Jerry Cooke in front. Pic kindly posted on TA thread this week by Ken Broster.

382D7116-1C1A-44B2-81FC-35EBFDD20627.jpeg

It was drawn to my attention this morning that Ian Tyler has popped a load of pics of LHD B-series in the service of C.A.M.E.L (Cunard) in Jeddah on FB. I’ve met Ian Tyler and he’s a good lad! Pretty well all the pics are known to this thread as I posted them on here with his permission years ago but here are a couple that slipped through the net:

Click on twice.

erf b show2.jpg

DEANB:
Click on twice.

Not seen that cutting Dean. Also, I’d forgotten that there were ‘M’-series 6-legger tippers.

ERF-NGC-European:

DEANB:
Click on twice.

Not seen that cutting Dean. Also, I’d forgotten that there were ‘M’-series 6-legger tippers.

Do you remember the green cab? I do not remember it having all those futuristic add-ons inside. I wonder if there are any photos of it, anywhere? I have had a quick look, without finding anything.

[zb]
anorak:

ERF-NGC-European:

DEANB:
Click on twice.

Do you remember the green cab? I do not remember it having all those futuristic add-ons inside. I wonder if there are any photos of it, anywhere? I have had a quick look, without finding anything.

I’ve had a look too. There was the blue cab, which I think came later. There was the brown cab. Trouble is, some pics show what could be a green or a brown cab but remains ambiguous because of the light / old photo.

That one is an early brown one. IIRC, the first day cabs were all black inside (a mate had one, and showed me round it. People on here will remember better than me), then the sleeper versions had the above brown/tan interior. Much later, they all went blue, to provide a calming effect on the driver. The green one, as the ultimate extension of that idea, was ERF’s concept vehicle for the Motor Show, whichever year it was. I went to that show, and saw it. I think it was just a cab, on a plinth. The CM article (again, subject to my recollection), had an interview with the ERF salesman, who said that, if the green provoked a favourable reaction, they would offer it as an option in the future. I don’t remember seeing the extra gear inside it. I think a trip down the CM archives is on the schedule for later. The show issues were in colour, weren’t they? :slight_smile:

[zb]
anorak:
That one is an early brown one. IIRC, the first day cabs were all black inside (a mate had one, and showed me round it. People on here will remember better than me), then the sleeper versions had the above brown/tan interior. Much later, they all went blue, to provide a calming effect on the driver. The green one, as the ultimate extension of that idea, was ERF’s concept vehicle for the Motor Show, whichever year it was. I went to that show, and saw it. I think it was just a cab, on a plinth. The CM article (again, subject to my recollection), had an interview with the ERF salesman, who said that, if the green provoked a favourable reaction, they would offer it as an option in the future. I don’t remember seeing the extra gear inside it. I think a trip down the CM archives is on the schedule for later. The show issues were in colour, weren’t they? :slight_smile:

Much of the show issues was in black & white, with only the prestige pics and adverts in colour IIRC

Some excellent footage of B-series LHD sleeper units being prepared for export to Abu Dhabi at 12:44 on this film:

youtube.com/watch?v=QHgRkdKApK8

ERF-NGC-European:
DEANB posted this cutting on another ERF thread back in April. In the light of this letter from Peter Foden himself to TRUCK magazine in 1977, it would seem erroneous and pointless to continue referring to the earlier flat-top B-series sleeper cabs as ‘Jennings conversions’. Robert

JENNINGS conversions

In the above post I wondered why people persisted in calling the B-series early sleeper cabs ‘Jennings conversions’ when JH Jennings & Sons were bought out by ERF in the very early sixties.

It appears that it was the premises that were bought out, as they were adjacent to the ERF factory in Sandbach, so that ERF could bring its cab production in-house.

Meanwhile, Jennings Coachworks, as it then became, established itself in Crewe where it continued to meet some of ERF’s needs by converting B-series cabs into sleepers.

Voila! Mystery solved.

This looks to be a an ex-Euroroute LHD B-series - perhaps an O/D on TIR work. I can just make out some of the reg plate and it appears to be the same one as the Euroroute pic I’ve posted below it.

283649967_149541207592398_4353619439558580134_n.jpg

Nothing much here new to this thread, but a nice bit of history all the same:

trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto … 35&t=54190

For me a new picture of the three B-series running at A. Prooi in Barendrecht.

Apparently some kind of jubilee is celebrated according tot the many flowers
and plants in front of the line-up

Prooi-B-series.jpg

ERF-Continental:
For me a new picture of the three B-series running at A. Prooi in Barendrecht.

Apparently some kind of jubilee is celebrated according tot the many flowers
and plants in front of the line-up

Interesting picture. None of them is running in Prooi livery. Were they dressed in the livery of one of the freight forwarding companies of their ‘day’, as was common practice in Holland in the 1970s?