Leeds Inland Port

Can I charge my barge. There will be no diesel engines left.

Looking at the size on the photo, it looks to be too small to handle much container traffic and can barges carry containers? Could understand maybe a railway container hub if there was a suitable railway nearby.

Still not sure how it’ll remove 1/2 million tonnes of freight from the city centre? Is this near the motorways? Are most Leeds freight hubs in the city centre currently?

Like the bit about it being a significant amount, then later says there’s 10 million tonnes going through Leeds, so 1/20th then.

Heard it all before - canals will save the planet and remove most road traffic, err, like railways didn’t? :slight_smile:

This will never happen,there’s always some big idea happening in Leeds.
Latest was non euro 6 trucks banned in a “clean air” zone around the centre,guess what it was due to start this October and been suspended indefinitely.
We already have a rail freight terminal with the busy freightliner rail head.

Looks like a similar idea to Port of Salford where ships will come up the water from Liverpool.

Both will only really take container freight traffic off the M62 though & the Leeds - Hull/Liverpool to Manchester stretches are hardly that much of a problem anyway, it’s the bit inbetween. Then of course you get more HGV traffic congregating around the new terminals because as we know, ships can’t deliver to a businesses goods in dock.

This utopian vision of next to no freight on the roads is a fantasy shared only by those clueless to how transport works. Give me a nudge when the infrastructure is in place for Amazon (for instance) to rail a load of parcels DC to DC quicker than a wagon can.

rob22888:
Looks like a similar idea to Port of Salford where ships will come up the water from Liverpool.

Both will only really take container freight traffic off the M62 though & the Leeds - Hull/Liverpool to Manchester stretches are hardly that much of a problem anyway, it’s the bit inbetween. Then of course you get more HGV traffic congregating around the new terminals because as we know, ships can’t deliver to a businesses goods in dock.

This utopian vision of next to no freight on the roads is a fantasy shared only by those clueless to how transport works.

Agreed… Pie in the sky.

Only a few hundred yards from the old British waterways wharf age and warehousing that the government sold off, a few years ago, which is now posh flats, total waste of money…

I saw this proposal a few weeks ago on another forum and, at first, thought that it would be a really good plan for the future, however I then switched on the common sense mode and changed my mind!

Firstly I should say that one of my first jobs was working on the Aire and Calder Navigation which is the route that freight would take to reach this proposed port from the ports of Hull and Immingham where the sea-freight would arrive. The freight would enter the canal/river route to Leeds from the river Humber/Ouse at Goole (Or a possible secondary via the Selby Canal which really is not practical)

The route from Goole to Leeds has only been used for pleasure craft for the last 30 years, maybe a few barges but they have been very rare. As such the canal/river route has not been dredged and barges carrying heavy containers just might have problems. The bridges and locks between Goole and Leeds would be OK, but journey time from Hull to Leeds would be 2 days at least!

The plan for this Inland Port might work but it would need billions of ££ of investment and I would love to come out of retirement to take the first container barge from Hull to Leeds :smiley:

But TBH, the M62 from Hull to the proposed inland port takes around 1 hour, so it’s never going to happen…

May I also refer you to my post “Competition for Road Haulage” at 1.40pm.

Gidders:
May I also refer you to my post “Competition for Road Haulage” at 1.40pm.

I saw that one too, maybe ask the mods to combine them…

There is a better, more informed article here

google.co.uk/amp/s/www.york … 089254/amp

No mention of container freight, they are planning on moving aggregate