Leeds city centre aaaaaaaaaaaarrgh

Probably had the worse day on class one ever! I work on agency delivering milk most days its different runs, drops can be anything from 3 to 13, anyhow I started today at 7 00, quite a late start. I got my run sheet 13 drops to Tesco express shops around Leeds 2 in the city centre I get lost in Leeds in my car never mind an arctic lol
1 hr late setting off to due to deflecting a ERF unit due to the door hanging off, and the electrical Susie faulty, got a scania instead 
1st drop bond street in Leeds knew were shop was but the back door was another thing, parked up had a walk found were I had to go, I hate Leeds you can see were you need to go but have to jump trough hoops to get to it , one way systems bus only lanes much like any other city centre I guess , anyhow got to the back door and asked the fella were the Bridgewater tesco I don’t know? Said the man, my sat nav did not know the post code
Called the office, head towards the darlek big ugly building, found it after getting lost on the ring rd for half an hour, by now I was well behind, I had to go back to base and pick up a driver to help me do the other 10 drops, I thought this will be good he will know all the drops by heart nope! He says bloody hell how come they sending an agency lad out on that and it is a red route? We crack on finishing around 1700
To be honest if I did the run again I would be ok but I still hate Leeds!!! :smiling_imp:

I feel for you I had that shop on my first day for stobarts/tesco it was a nightmare. I only stayed for one day.

slackeye:
I get lost in Leeds in my car never mind an arctic lol

Glad I’m not the only one :smiley:

I’m usually pretty good in city centres, I used to do London 5 times a week and never had issues anywhere (apart from halfwit car drivers), but Leeds? [zb] that, as soon as I come off the m621 I’m hopeless, my sense of direction goes straight out the window. There’s been so many times I’ve been right next to where I want to be, then the next thing I know I’m on the wrong side of town, half way to York :blush: The closer you get to the centre the worse it gets.

I don’t get it, sign posting and lane markings are no worse than any other city, but I always seem to be going in the wrong direction, it’s like some weird anti-gravity thing :imp:

We do quite a bit of work around the Leeds area. One day (in the artic) finished up in the city centre not by plan! Must have gone round 3 bloomin times b4 i found a way out!

Ah so pratt navs don’t know everything then? I bet that post code would have been in an A-Z :wink:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

i suppose its cos i live there that it does’nt bother me…

bristol
sheffield
manchester

:imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:

I have the same issues with Leicester. I can go and do the three city centre pubs no problem I know the routes between each one just fine but when I drove taxis I used to go to the train station, get there fine but always get lost coming back I never used to come back the same way twice running :blush: :blush: Rotherham is a bit dodgy with the one way systems I find too.

Leeds is easy!
All you have to do is think like a town hall planner, first things first, take your brain out and leave it at home, if you now have any common sense left over use it to sit on.
Now, consulting your map and having established what direction you have to go in,
head in any other direction,
Be there in seconds!

P.S.
This also works for any town or city where civil servants are employed.

I was in Sheffield on Tuesday delivering to Greggs, other sandwich shops are available, the only way to get to some of their shops is driving up or down the bus only lanes an absolute nightmare! As bad as Leeds if not worse!
Stu

teatree:
I was in Sheffield on Tuesday delivering to Greggs, other sandwich shops are available, the only way to get to some of their shops is driving up or down the bus only lanes an absolute nightmare! As bad as Leeds if not worse!
Stu

If you know of the Benjamin Huntsman in Sheffield the delivery access is off Division street, in a little alley at the side of the Spar. Rather tight for an 18tonner, there’s plenty of damage there where it’s gone wrong for our lads from time to time.

I can handle Leeds although we’ve done quite a lot of work up there so maybe i’m used to it. Newcastle on the other hand I cant stand I always end up in the wrong tunnel missing roads etc then have to go out of the city to get back in again at the start fun and games every time :smiley:

City Centre’s should be made Night Drops Only. Luckily I don’t have to do silly runs anymore touch wood but years ago I used to deliver Bread as soon as you hit 8am the world ground to a halt I hated it.

yes i agree with all the comments about LEEDS but my nightmare city is BRISTOL I qwake when I have to go there.

If you know of the Benjamin Huntsman in Sheffield the delivery access is off Division street, in a little alley at the side of the Spar. Rather tight for an 18tonner, there’s plenty of damage there where it’s gone wrong for our lads from time to time.

It was my second visit to the city, first time was just to Ponds Forge in a van, it took me three laps to get to their delivery door, finally made it after talking to one of the drivers who’d been before

I don’t know why but I always get nervous when I’m driving down the tramlines in Sheffield.

tofer:
I don’t know why but I always get nervous when I’m driving down the tramlines in Sheffield.

I do in Nottingham! when you have to swing out across both sets of tram lines to reverse in a tight delivery point that requires many shunts :open_mouth: .

I’m assuming the brakes a controlled manualy and not automatically by computer when it reaches it’s station :question: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

pecjam23:

tofer:

I do in Nottingham! when you have to swing out across both sets of tram lines to reverse in a tight delivery point that requires many shunts :open_mouth: .

I’m assuming the brakes a controlled manualy and not automatically by computer when it reaches it’s station :question: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

You may assume that but I’m bloody well hoping and praying that they are. :smiley:

and yes i have done drops to somerfeilds stores in sheffield and both involve crossing the tram lines, one the back door is bang in the middle of a coucil easte :smiley:
nottingham there is an asda were the gate is right next to the tram lines , you cant park on the rd and wait if there is a truck already in cos once one of asdas trucks reversed out and knockind the tram of its tracks! so there is loads of traffic wardens flying about on mopeds waiting to give a ticket :unamused: