Leeds/Bradford not so new newbie

Hi guys,

It’s my first post here so hello to all if you.

I wonder if any of you can recommend agencies in West Yorkshire.

Is there any particular reason you’d choose to work for an agency rather than an actual haulage company?

I hear Riverdrive are looking for drivers :wink:

Reubs766:
Is there any particular reason you’d choose to work for an agency rather than an actual haulage company?

As I haven’t got experience all the companies I applied to ignore me. I am resigned to believe that it is impossible to start employment directly without agencies before you get this experience.

Correct me if I am wrong - do you know of companies which employ people without this 2 years exp?

Yes, there are companies that will take you on. But you must be in the right place, at the right time. I personally think, small family companies are better than a big ones. Google all local firms, find their websites, email them with your cv. Ring them and ask if they have received it. When I got my job, I rang them on Tuesday asking for a job, they said: sorry, no jobs at the moment. Sent them my CV anyway, and surprisingly had a phone call at 10 am on Friday, interview same day at 2.30, and started my job with them 2 weeks ago. Do not give up… Keep knocking doors…

If you can reverse ok (it may be worth some extra reversing training) Reed Bordall in Boroughbridge may take you on. They don’t seem opposed to taking on new drivers. It’s not quite Leeds/Bradford but if you tramped and were out all week you’d only be doing the round trip once.

scyzor:

Reubs766:

As I haven’t got experience all the companies I applied to ignore me. I am resigned to believe that it is impossible to start employment directly without agencies before you get this experience.

Correct me if I am wrong - do you know of companies which employ people without this 2 years exp?

I know of at least 2 companies that take new drivers on. Peckover Transport at Bradford are constantly looking for drivers. As long as you can stick with their constant messing about for 2 years or so you’ll have the required experience to find a much more suitable driving job.

Also, Goodall Transport at Sowerby Bridge are currently looking for drivers to do the night shifts. They’re happy to take on any driver with the right attitude, whether it be a newby or not. Of course, as Goodall Transport only have artics, a Class 1 licence would be required.

I imagine any company of a similar size to these would take on a new driver who has the right attitude. My advice would be to turn up to these companies with your licence, work boots, and of course, a smile, together with your “can do, will do” attitude, and you’ll have no problem.

Shipley transport are looking