Led lights

Noticed the past 12 months a lot of trucks now are being fitted with led lights in place of the old style hella spotlights , I’m assuming these LED’s are a lot brighter some have the old style side light bulb what are they like when high beam is switched on

Hi im going assume you mean extra driving spotlights yes they are frikkin bright and very intense compared to regular tungsten bulbs
its to do with tempreture colour mesured in kelvin (K) tungston being a filiment is lower on the scale and more of an orange hue where as led is much higher and whiter and does not need to “warm up” just switched on at full intensity

They’re a bloody menace on the road. Even worse when they have the clear glass with the refraction taken care (badly) of by the reflector. They dazzle oncoming drivers, so you spend too much time looking at the n/s kerb/edge of road. Our old 2001 Magna has QH headlights and they’re still bright enough for me to drive.

I was referring to the strip similar to what you see on many off Road 4x4 land-rovers they do light up a dark dual 2 Lane more direct beam than the older hella style light

Sorry. I just got a bit carried away about being more or less blinded by the led headlights.

LED are brighter and more dazzling to oncoming drivers but they cannot match the beam length and useable light offered by halogen.

Star down under.:
LED are brighter and more dazzling to oncoming drivers but they cannot match the beam length and useable light offered by halogen.

It depends on the quality autobulbsdirect.co.uk/blog/ … brightest/
You might get an upgrade if you spend £120 on a pair of Philips bulbs.

No LED can outperform these.
fyrlyt.com/

It’s high time the Adr mob got on to this company. I knew it wasn’t just me!

peterm:
It’s high time the Adr mob got on to this company. I knew it wasn’t just me!

They are ADR compliant. They’re auxiliary driving lights, so if they are dazzling you, the issue is with the “driver”, not the lights. They are brilliant lights, pardon the pun.

What I meant in my badly worded post, was that the ADR mob should be using their lights/headlights. These bloody led and hid lights dazzle at the best of times. If I can see perfectly at night (until getting a face full of these bloody things) with my 21 year old halogen lights, what’s the use of them.

I agree, for standard, mandated headlights 55w halogen should be compulsory. LED, HID projector and all the other fancy crap are blinding when only slightly misaligned. At least halogen gives a bit of margin.

World rally car teams are now using them as well. We have just had a MAN XXL fitted with them, and by ■■■■ are they bright compared to my rectangular spots.

Ken.

Star down under.:
I agree, for standard, mandated headlights 55w halogen should be compulsory. LED, HID projector and all the other fancy crap are blinding when only slightly misaligned. At least halogen gives a bit of margin.

It’s not just misaligned lights either. They scatter the light everywhere causing dazzle. Halogens on the other hand light where they’re pointed, for want of a better description.