LED day-time running lights!

I have been noticing this quite a lot lately. Modern cars fitted with LED running lights running at night time with no lights on ■■ Drivers are obviously jumping in the cars and seeing the LEDs, thinking its their headlights and that it must be set to automatic, not realising that there is nothing on at the back[emoji53] Couple of times this week alone Ive had cars pass me on the motorway with no lights at all on at the back, and when its unlit sections it can be hard to see them- especially if they’re going slow in lane 1 and you’re catching up fast. Obviously common sense should be applied when it comes to this. However, for those with a serious lack there of, should there not be some sort of warning sensor fitted to the car so that a light appears on the dash at night time or whatever ? Or is this something that already exists ? Just quite dangerous in my opinion… [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my wagon (61 plate Merc Actros) the dashboard is lit up as soon as you turn the ignition on. A couple of times I’ve pulled out of the yard in the dark & only twigged that the lights weren’t on when there’s no beam on the road in front.

In rubbish cars yes the DRL are on and they drive around oblivious to the fact they have no main lights on or rear lights showing. People are so dumb it’d unreal. My new car has DRL lights and they turn off when the main beam or auto headlights are activated, I leave it on auto and the front are rear lights are always on when required or just the DRL lights if the ambient light is bright enough. The system on my car works really well and the only time I have to manually override it is when it’s a bit dull and rainy and I want to have my main lights on for extra visibility. There are vehicles that I have seen with presumably auto headlights that only switch on the headlights and they have no rear lights showing.

Aside of all of that it is up to the driver to not be a muppet and understand how their vehicle works and when they need to put lights on. I see so many driving in the dark or rainy dull conditions with no lights on at all, it really is frightening.

I turn my lights on when it’s dark using the little dial on the dash, just as I always have. I don’t know why people find that so difficult.

Captain Caveman 76:
I turn my lights on when it’s dark using the little dial on the dash, just as I always have. I don’t know why people find that so difficult.

This requires a modicum of common sense,and a few spare milliseconds in your busy day.
Unfortunately,drivers of dark coloured luxury German cars have neither :unamused:

not saying owt i have a volvo fh set off early morning out of dunstable. looked like lights was on even the light on dash was on. got to motorway thought my lights must be dirty. then it twigged. although the daytime running lights are very bright on the new volvo.

its happened to me a few times, its because the dash is lit up even though the lights aren’t on.

See this a lot.
People blame it on the dashboard lighting up with the ignition and the del shinning.
Hopefully soon all vehicles will have auto lights that come on when it’s dark or the wipers are turned on.

Clearly I’m not the only one that thinks this then… The regulations for DRLs are floored in my opinion. I mean, if you are going to create a regulation that stipulates always on lighting on the front of the vehicle to increase its visibility to others, why on earth would you not think it’d be a good idea to include the tail lights as well?!? Not one car manufacturer has thought to do this, despite there being no regulatory reason to prevent them. The only time I’ve seen both DRLs and tail/side lights on is on Scanias (including trailer) and some Volvo, depending on how they’re configured - More should do this, as I’m sure the main reason people don’t switch on their dipped beam is because whilst the front may be lit, they assume the back will be too - its logical afterall. At least that way, forgetting to turn on your dipped beam would be far less hazardous.

Mazda have the right idea. As soon as it gets dull you cant see anything behind the steering wheel because the dials are dark and only light up when the lights are switched on. This forces you to switch your lights on in poor light conditions to see your speedo

I can only agree with all of the posts in this section maybe a few things people should think about is this lights on at the front but no rear lights that is an offence and comes with a nice fine as well as 5 points for driving without due care and attention as for automatic lights they are different as in all the lights come on front and back once the photo cell picks up that the light is not bright enough so turning the lights on automatically ( but the switch has to be in the automatic position ) but looking at this logically Volvo had it right as not only did the front lights come on but the rear ones also then again all the manifature has to do is make it so the lights come on but no dashboard lights till you turn on your lights with the light switch I think the DRLs came about because a lot of drivers don’t use lights in rain or fog it is actually an offence and it is law to use dipped headlights in rain and foggy weather but how many do you see with no lights on at all whatever happened to common sense perhaps we should fine the minister that thought this would be a good idea (yet again someone making decisions that knows nothing about transport typical government mentality) but don’t worry the nice police officers will explain it all to you in there car as they write you fine out for you ( you won’t forget next time )

even my SsangYong has the rear lights come on with the front DRL’s, good idea I think.

Automatic lights should just be banned, along with fog lights, xenon laser retina searing lights and various other bits of automation that makes drivers lazy.

My car has an automatic switch but the rears come on at the same time, as soon as its dark or in a tunnel ( handy when leaving a tunnel, as i often forget…like most drivers ) but the auto puts dim beam on and not just the side lights…and theres a green light on the dash as well…remember the old saying…You only get what you pay for and it is a Mercedes.

truckyboy:
My car has an automatic switch but the rears come on at the same time, as soon as its dark or in a tunnel ( handy when leaving a tunnel, as i often forget…like most drivers ) but the auto puts dim beam on and not just the side lights…and theres a green light on the dash as well…remember the old saying…You only get what you pay for and it is a Mercedes.

Automatic headlights aren’t the same as DRL’s, all cars will have the rear lights come on if they have a automatic headlight mode.
DRL’s should come on as soon the engine is started up, regardless of how dull the ambient light is unless the headlights are swithced on.

I thought DRL’s would be great as it would stop those muppets who thought the side lights were the same as dipped headlights or didn’t understand the different settings on their light switch, but all it’s done is replaced which end of their car you can’t see in poor light or bad weather. :confused:

I love my 19 year old Transit.
Headlights. 2. With a normal on/off switch.
No particulate filter
No EGR ( :blush: :sunglasses: )
No ad-blue.
No ■■■■■■■ electronic gubbins.

its the law over here day time running lights …and ffs the number o times in a bloody blizzard you come across swampdonkeys wae no rear lights on its frightening…my pet hate!! :unamused:

My VW’s appear to have light sensors for the dash illumination, bright daylight - dash illuminated, night, no illumination unless lights switched on. Unfortunately as with all things you get what you pay for, those Korean vehicles are priced accordingly. :wink:

well I certainly got a lot of stuff in my korean SsangYong as standard for the money I paid, and its a bloody good motor plus its a 4wd

xlv lhj ns.jpg