Led bulbs interior

Has anyone changed the bulbs in there dome lights to
Led bulbs considering trying this out as I’m gonna be starting night driving so thinking of red bulbs to help with oncoming glare , I’ve read on Another forum
Red interior lights are illegal

Stacks74:
I’ve read on Another forum

Never heard that but it is illegal to show anything other than white or amber to the front, whether or not that would count an interior light I don’t know but the tangs are running all kinds of colours and nobody seems to bother them.

Personally I didn’t notice any difference having them on but then again they weren’t very bright. If you look down your own headlights instead at the oncoming vehicle the glare won’t really bother you.

Any light inside the cab will result in more reflections in your own windscreen. I don’t see the need for any interior light, when driving, except the dash and switch illumination.

Red interior lights are not illegal and come factory fitted on many vehicles.

Stacks74:
I’ve read on Another forum

They are…

Standard fitment to MANs, DAfs and I daresay some other trucks too.

If I’m tired, I’ll use them for a few miles to wake me up a bit until I can get stopped for coffee or bo bo’s.

Conor:
Never heard that but it is illegal to show anything other than white or amber to the front, whether or not that would count an interior light I don’t know but the tangs are running all kinds of colours and nobody seems to bother them.

Not quite correct. It is not permitted to show a red light to the front, and it is not permitted to show anything other than red to the rear (with specific exemptions for amber turn signals, white reversing lamps, warning beacons etc). You can show pretty much any colour lamp you like to the front (other than red). Regulation 11, Road Vehicle Lighting Regs 1989 has the full details.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Roymondo:

Conor:

Not quite correct. It is not permitted to show a red light to the front, and it is not permitted to show anything other than red to the rear (with specific exemptions for amber turn signals, white reversing lamps, warning beacons etc). You can show pretty much any colour lamp you like to the front (other than red). Regulation 11, Road Vehicle Lighting Regs 1989 has the full details.

As I read it you’re correct that lights (additional to the compulsory ones) can be any colour, except red, to the front; but there is still a need for white (possibly yellow) position lights to the front.
Would you agree that fitting extra coloured lights is ok, but replacing white bulbs in obligatory lights with coloured ones is illegal?

I`d be more concerned about the amount of heat generated by the different bulbs, and the effect they may have on the lamp holders

peirre:
I`d be more concerned about the amount of heat generated by the different bulbs, and the effect they may have on the lamp holders

LEDs run much, much cooler than traditional incandescent bulbs.

The main issue with (some) cheap LEDs is the oscillator circuitry built into them which can play havoc with radio communications. I have such a bulb in the reverse lamp on my car. When I reverse into a parking space at work it kills the DAB reception of my car stereo. Depending on the frequency, these things can easily jam Bluetooth or GPS signals.

Franglais:

Roymondo:

Conor:

As I read it you’re correct that lights (additional to the compulsory ones) can be any colour, except red, to the front; but there is still a need for white (possibly yellow) position lights to the front.
Would you agree that fitting extra coloured lights is ok, but replacing white bulbs in obligatory lights with coloured ones is illegal?

As a general rule, yes.

Canbus Led Bulbs

Stacks74:
Canbus Led Bulbs

The “Canbus” label simply means that they are designed to have electrical characteristics similar enough to a conventional incandescent bulb, so as to “fool” the vehicle electronics that would otherwise throw up a “lamp failure” error message.