Leaving truck with engine running

There seems to be a lot of confusion on 'tinternet about whether it is actually illegal for a driver to leave his vehicle whilst the engine is running. I’m talking specifically about dustcarts. As far back as I can remember,the driver has quite frequently left the truck to ‘give a hand’ loading,with the engine left running. Of course the engine has to be left running to enable the compactor/lifts etc to work. What I need to know is the actual LAW on this as it seems to be yet another grey area. Ta.

Bottom paragraph is all you really need
Full article here → enginerunlock.com/Run_Lock_Legality.htm

Highway Code Rule # 123

The Driver and the Environment. You MUST NOT leave a parked vehicle unattended with the engine running or leave a vehicle engine running unnecessarily while that vehicle is stationary on a public road. Generally, if the vehicle is stationary and is likely to remain so for more than a couple of minutes, you should apply the parking brake and switch off the engine to reduce emissions and noise pollution. However it is permissible to leave the engine running if the vehicle is stationary in traffic or for diagnosing faults. [Law CUR regs 98 & 107]

The Road Traffic (Vehicle Emissions) (Fixed Penalty) Regulations 2002

The regulation enables local authorities in England to issue fixed penalty notices to drivers who allow their vehicles to run unnecessarily while stationary. These regulations came into force on 18th July 2002. The powers to do this are automatically conferred by the regulations,therefore local authorities do not have to apply to be designated to use them.

There are however a number of situations where action would not be taken:

Where a vehicle is stationary ‘owing to the necessities of traffic’ - eg where a vehicle is stationary at traffic lights.

Where an engine is being run so that a fault may be traced and rectified.

Where machinery on a vehicle requires the engine to be running – eg where the engine powers a refrigeration unit, or compaction equipment in a refuse vehicle.

You asked for “the actual LAW on this” so here it is:

Regulation 107 - The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986

Leaving motor vehicles unattended

107.—(1) Save as provided in paragraph (2), no person shall leave, or cause or permit to be left, on a road a motor vehicle which is not attended by a person licensed to drive it unless the engine is stopped and any parking brake with which the vehicle is required to be equipped is effectively set.

(2) The requirement specified in paragraph (1) as to the stopping of the engine shall not apply in respect of a vehicle—

(a) being used for ambulance, fire brigade or police purposes; or

(b) in such a position and condition as not to be likely to endanger any person or property and engaged in an operation which requires its engine to be used to—

(i) drive machinery forming part of, or mounted on, the vehicle and used for purposes other than driving the vehicle; or

(ii) maintain the electrical power of the batteries of the vehicle at a level required for driving that machinery or apparatus.[/list:u]

(3) In this regulation “parking brake” means a brake fitted to a vehicle in accordance with requirement 16 or 18 in Schedule 3.
[/quote]
It seems to be pretty clear that the vehicle can be left running where it’s needed to run ancillary equipment, A dustcart would obviously fall into that category.

Just to add,not in a legal way…my mate had his wallet and phones pinched once whilst using the hiab on the N/S.
It’s an idea to lock the doors and leave the nearest window open to you if you do this although not ideal if raining…After getting locked out once I have a thing about leaving keys in the ignition if I’m not in there with them so if I cant take them out,it’s window open or a spare one in the sky.

New scania won’t lock if the ignition is on. Stupid design fault.

I leave the engine on when using the winch, especially at night if I have the rear spot lights on, I hate doing it as it means the door is unlocked but I am mostly on sites where the winch is needed so usually secure…ish :neutral_face:

happysack:
New scania won’t lock if the ignition is on. Stupid design fault.

So they’ve gone the other way of when they’d lock themselves…with me outside and the keys inside :laughing: