Leaving exhaust brake on?

Just checking, for an exhaust brake (or whatever the correct name is) if you leave it on in any of the settings, so long as you are accelerating, will the brake be completely off?
Thanks

Yes they should be off when foot is on the gas but why leave it on anyway ?

stu675:
Just checking, for an exhaust brake (or whatever the correct name is) if you leave it on in any of the settings, so long as you are accelerating, will the brake be completely off?
Thanks

Pressing the accelerator switches out the engine/exhaust brake. It only works when on the over-run.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

bald bloke:

great thanks, in traffic? when you’re up against it, wanting your steak dinner trying to make it back to the yard and haven’t got time for this coasting malarkey :wink: :laughing:

stu675:

bald bloke:

great thanks, in traffic? when you’re up against it, wanting your steak dinner trying to make it back to the yard and haven’t got time for this coasting malarkey :wink: :laughing:

But unless your in a Volvo possibly(?) the cruise won’t work with the exhaust brake in. Do you not use the cruise control?

Jimmy McNulty:

stu675:

bald bloke:

great thanks, in traffic? when you’re up against it, wanting your steak dinner trying to make it back to the yard and haven’t got time for this coasting malarkey :wink: [emoji38]

But unless your in a Volvo possibly(?) the cruise won’t work with the exhaust brake in. Do you not use the cruise control?

Yes that’s true, but cruise on today’s DAF (CF 15 plate) maxed out at 51, so it was foot to the floor instead to get the 56.

I don’t leave it on
I only engage it when I think I might need it, long downhills where I need to stick to a slower speed mostly
It’s easy enough to engage at either the half or full setting and just as easy to disengage when you don’t need it.

There’s two ways the exhauster is operated on most modern vehicles.

1. assuming the relevant switch on the dash is in the ‘on’ position, the exhauster will automatically engage when you apply the footbrake, this assists the footbrake but you don’t get maximum effort because the engine revs won’t be high enough to make it really effective, you could of course change gear manually to increase retardation.

2. depending on the vehicle make and model, the full exhaust brake with automatic downshifts of the gearbox to more effective ■■■■■■ range will usually be via a lever (or button) on stalk to the right hand side of the steering column, the lever can have 1 2 or 3 settings, for max ■■■■■■ pull the lever right down. Those with the button its a single setting so set to max anyway.
    On some older vehicles there may be a floor switch to operate the exhauster manually (this type won’t auto downshift for you to the same extent).
    With this method no use of the footbrake is needed unless the rate of deceleration, or holding speed on a downhill, isn’t enough and you start braking to assist the full exhaust brake operation, if the engine revs aren’t going into the ideal band for max ■■■■■■ you can of course manually input some downshifts to make it so.
    Note.
    If you have the gearbox in manual mode, those automatic downshifts won’t happen and you will have to do the downshifting for it.

Note also.
with the exhaust brake operating alone without braking some vehicles will apply the brake lights automatically, some won’t.

I assume the OP is suggesting leaving the lever type in the on position continually.
Several reasons why this isn’t a good idea.
You now have no gentle overrun facility because soon as you release the throttle the exhauster will engage immediately, if you’re travelling in lowish gears and on and off the throttle the sudden engagements of the exhauster can put severe strain on the transmission, chances are it won’t do any damage but you’ll feel it alright and the cab doing a repeated nodding dog will make you look a right plank…if you leave your hivis on while driving then such antics would be expected :wink: :smiling_imp:
Similarly no chance of automatic neutral engaging for long distance free-wheeling, whether you or i think coasting is a good thing is irrelevant, the vehicle is designed to do this.
The vehicle dash may start beeping at you, whether the vehicle will drive normally with such dash messages and bongs present may depend on vehicle make and model, one size doesn’t fit all here.

Great thanks @Juddian [emoji106] (I did know a lot of that but still pearls of wisdom in there [emoji2]
Now all I need to find out is how to know if my brake lights come on or not (prefer day driving to nights)

Juddian:
feel it alright and the cab doing a repeated nodding dog will make you look a right plank…

In my defense, I was more imagining going from exhaust break to acceleration and then turning the brake off at my leisure. ( Being a DAF button on the steering wheel it’s not always easy to find in the corners/junctions) So wondering if the exhaust brake will hamper my drag race away from the lights [emoji6]

Much better when you had an old FL10, you could apply full throttle at the same time as the exhauster and smoke 'em out.

so i’m told :blush: