Leaky radiator valve

Anyone able to help…?

I’ve a dribble of water comming from under the plastic cap whither the valve is open or closed, to see under it is it just a matter of undoing the star-head in the top or will water start pishing out everywhere if its not drained?

Cheers in advance

you will need the valve replacing, get a plumber in.

jessicas dad:
you will need the valve replacing, get a plumber in.

[zb] just whats needed 2 weeks before Christmas!

Least it saves me flooding the living room anyway tampering at it :laughing:

go down to B&Q (other DIY stores are available) and buy the valve yourself, go home, turn off the water at the mains, carefully drain the system, remove the valve by undoing the to brass nuts, remove valve, replace with new valve, turn water back on at mains, fill system and then bleed the radiators.

simple :wink:

Go to plumbfix, screwfix or whatever and get a freezing kit and a new valve.

Freeze the pipes, unscrew the valve, chuck it at a cat and fit the new one, you have about 35 minutes to do the job!

Should cost you no more than 15 quid

well, that is two suggestions that would be quite a lot cheaper than the plumber

pipe freezing spray from Screwfix £8.72
radiator valve from B&Q £3.72

the only other thing you need to do is grow a pair and do the job :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

No need to turn mains off, just turn off feed to header tank (small tank) in your loft. I learned a lesson turning mains off n on, busted mains pipe from road to house! One of your rads will have a tap on bottom that you can attach a hose pipe to, run it out in garden, open all the bleed valves when draining down.

Be careful not to miss the cat, you might hit ya plasma screen. :open_mouth:

Cheers lads… that pipe freezing spray looks like a good idea, sounds too easy just spraying a bit on and it’ll plug it for 40mins :laughing: