Leaking wheel rim

Had a soft tyre on the front axle of a DAF unit today. Though it’s be the tyre, but it wasn’t it was the rim. Tyre fitter says it’s not unusual, especially on Scanias. It was leaking where to two parts of the rim meet. Says they always go near the valve stem. Worrying!

I had one like that, but it was a hairline crack in the rim, the tyre company had them in stock and just replaced it.

Sapper

Same here we had a leaking rim on Thursday f/n DAF106 tyre fitter said they are doing two or three a week now

Would this be due to the state of the roads and hitting potholes fully loaded coupled with rubbish steel the rims are made of ?
I had what I thought was a puncture on a 2008 MAN TGM 18tr back in 2016 , tyre fitter had the tyre off then put It back on , then sprayed some of his gunk on the rim and it had a rust hole

blue estate:
then sprayed some of his gunk on the rim and it had a rust hole

ooooh err

granddaddylow:
Had a soft tyre on the front axle of a DAF unit today. Though it’s be the tyre, but it wasn’t it was the rim. Tyre fitter says it’s not unusual, especially on Scanias. It was leaking where to two parts of the rim meet. Says they always go near the valve stem. Worrying!

The two parts of the rim meet? Que?
If its an alloy rim, then if there is surface corrosion, tyre bead may not sit properly and leak. Tyre will need removing and rim will need a wire brush on it.
Steel rims eventually rust, so if its an old vehicle, then it is nothing unusual.
A more dangerous scenario is when the back of the rim corrodes and gives a false torque setting for wheelnuts, and possible future wheel loss.

Had 2 rims crack within weeks of each other on a daf xf 105 I used to drive and 1 on the 17 plate actros I’ve got at the moment

Indian and Chinese steel or maybe imported rims.

Bridgestone has the contract for that outfit, supplying tyres and rims. You’d think they’d be half decent, but maybe that’s naive to think that. It was steels. When where the two parts are welded, but you can’t see the weld with the tyre on. No visible impact damage to the wheel.