Leaf springs on a trailer

I went to take a look at a trailer today and was thrown by the suspension. It was on Leaf springs.

The trailer is a 2002 and had been concerted from air to leaf springs so that he could better use it around his farm.

Does anyone have any experience with leaf springs? What are the implications of using a leaf spring trailer, are they worse to pull?

Silverback
3 Feathers Haulage

Main point is that you are limited in the weight you can carry I think.

I’m sure that to run at 44tonnes you need 3+3 on what is termed road friendly suspension. Pretty sure that generally mains air and definitely not cart springs.

Mind enforcement can be pretty lapse. We used to have a trombone trailer that had been converted from a tandem and rode on steel suspension. Been pulled a few times loaded up with 60ft rail and was never questioned.

Also worth bearing in mind that if run empty they will lock up the brakes and skip around a lot easier than one on air.

Cheers
Neilf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 Feathers Haulage:
I went to take a look at a trailer today and was thrown by the suspension. It was on Leaf springs.

The trailer is a 2002 and had been concerted from air to leaf springs so that he could better use it around his farm.

Does anyone have any experience with leaf springs? What are the implications of using a leaf spring trailer, are they worse to pull?

Silverback
3 Feathers Haulage

They keep me awake when they are empty, the springs break in cold weather and it doesn’t normally come under RFS for 44t operation

I think one of our tanks is still on leaf, will have a peep when I remember on a slack day.

B1 GGK:
I think one of our tanks is still on leaf, will have a peep when I remember on a slack day.

We had a few in Belgium, and they normally had a spare spring bolted on the chassis which always seemed ominous :confused:

Lots of experience with leaf springs in Australia.

Much of what’s been said on her is fair comment. They tend to lock up and skip down the road when braking. Hard braking can turn tyres into threepenny bits…

Cold if it’s cold enough will break a spring, but they can go anytime really.

Main problem I had was a couple of times the locking pin that runs through the centre of each leaf of the spring, right under or over the axle, sometimes goes leaving the springs to get out of alignment. You’ll know when that happens as your trailer will be crabbing down the road.

Good luck.

Even in perfect condition a leaf spring bogie will not match air for equalising or compensating the load on each axle.