lb vs hp

more hp per lb of weight than BFS kenworths

I drove C493 Brentanna & as it happens I thought it went OK, I’d come off a 460 Volvo that I used to run at up to 70t but mostly at around 40t, after I came back here I ran the same 460 for 2 years & looking back I thought that my Kenworth went as well as anything I’ve had apart from an FH16 520 I ran for a while. I run an FH13 520 nowadays & in all honesty I’d say C493 would be as good as it. Dunno what it would be like pulling a semi with a 35t CAT on it as at BFS I was only ever around 36t gross IIRC, but no I was happy with it over their on that work as it happens. I think them BFS motors are running at about 11-12 BHP/Ton which is about one up from our average motor over here.

I personally don’t think BHP is the be all & end all like some folks do, I do however think litreage is the be all in a straight six, I’m not commenting on V engines as a 450 V8 Scania engine I’m reluctant to say is probably the finest lorry engine of our time. I hope to ■■■■ Taebreak is’nt reading this as he’ll be ■■■■■■■ himself hearing me say this :smiley: I’ve got no’ 6 pot out of my 16 sat on my desk looking at me all scored & ■■■■■■ up just reminding me how bad things can get as an OD :cry: So no for you Guys over that side running up & down to the US at those light weights them CATs in BFS’s wagons are adequate.

Fly sheet

Believe it or not the VW 36hp engine puts out more HP per lb of weight than the BFS Kenworths I didnt say anything about torque just hp per lb :laughing: :laughing:

In truth the BFS trucks are running below 430hp the engines are rated at 430@1850rpm not 1200rpm you are losing almost 1/4 of the power having them set that low. Alright on the flats rather stinks in the mountains. Should be set for max speed not RPM set for max speed you would still have lots of power in all but the highest gear. Then again having some trust in your drivers you could have them set for regular highway speeds ie 110km/h and still be in the high end of fuel economy. Not that I really care, Pauly’s Pete I can do U.S highway speeds and still have some extra to pass with a max load.
Besides my herbie is cute, thats his motor in the picture, I would have no problem going faster than a BFS Kenworth, and would be passing it on a hill. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: He is a 1965 VW the only thing thats been changed are the seat covers. My mom drove it from 1965 til 1969 when it was parked in the equipment shed with my dads cars, started once in a while and moved around the shed. He only has 70,000 miles on him now thats actual miles and I have put a few on him myself during the summer. I even made magnetic eyelashes for him, totally cute. :smiley: