"lazy bin truck driver?

i do a fair bit off work on the refuse trucks (household bins)constant arguement between me and management/loaders is i will not leave the cab to help collect /return bins cos i reckon i"d be breaking the law ,leaving truck running as i would have 2 for the tip/crush system 2 work>they reckon that"s my excuse ,and that i am simply a lazy git,opinions /advice please on the truck running bit >me , lazy!

digicardrebel:
i do a fair bit off work on the refuse trucks (household bins)constant arguement between me and management/loaders is i will not leave the cab to help collect /return bins cos i reckon i"d be breaking the law ,leaving truck running as i would have 2 for the tip/crush system 2 work>they reckon that"s my excuse ,and that i am simply a lazy git,opinions /advice please on the truck running bit >me , lazy!

I’ve never worked on the bins but people I’ve known who have done it have generally been on job and knock so they are keen to finish as early as possible.

It is an offence to leave a vehicle unattended on a public road with the engine running but given a choice between sitting in the cab and leaving the engine running whilst I get on with the job, If I could go home early without loss of pay the vehicle would be left unattended at every given opportunity for me to get the job done.

On the other hand if the job is not job and knock I wouldn’t be prepared to leave the vehicle unattended to get the job done sooner and lose money in the process.

Having said that I thought everyone had wheely bins these days which I wouldn’t have thought would leave much scope for the driver helping.

yeah , i agree with most off what u say mate ,thing is , there is with some crews a " so, u ain"t gonna help cos you “ve got an lgv licence ?!!” situation,attitude, and i do explain 2 anyone who will listen why i (usually)wont leave the cab to collect bins , dont know wot offence would get me but one way or another money would be invilved and the dreaded points! some runs, u get back "early"from u get sent out on another ! and !if the run is done consistantly quick u end up with a bloke (agency fella)being dropped from the workforce ,honest >thanks 4 your advice,ta

tachograph:
Having said that I thought everyone had wheely bins these days …

I thought the same as you; but my GF’s Mum, who lives in a village in the New Forest, still doesn’t have wheelie bins yet.

This post highlights one problem. If it is illegal to leave an engine running, how the hell are these blokes with Hiabs, car transporters, tankers, refrigerated rigids, document shredders and gully suckers going to manage. Fortunately it is ■■■■■■■■ as you are allowed to use the vehicle engine to drive ancillary equipment!

Even if you get fined it is a non endorsable offence, so if the council want you to drag wheelie bins around, let them have the 30 quid bill

tachograph:
It is an offence to leave a vehicle unattended on a public road with the engine running

IMO just because you are not in the cab it doesn’t mean the vehicle is “unattended”. If you’re stood at the back operating the machinery I would argue that the vehicle is attended, same as working a brick grab / hiab / tipper / whatever.

Paul

digicardrebel:
dont know wot offence would get me but one way or another money would be invilved and the dreaded points!

As Wheelnut has already said it is a non endorsable offence so no points and only a 30quid fine so if it was me I would be out there helping.

Paul

i think that if there is any chance someone could enter the cab and drive off, you are going to be held responsible, it does not matter that they are kids or drunk or on drugs it is you in trouble, traffic commissioner could revoke/ suspend your license, insurance will not cover damaged caused,you are no use to anyone without your license, dont do it.

hotel magnum:
i think that if there is any chance someone could enter the cab and drive off, you are going to be held responsible, it does not matter that they are kids or drunk or on drugs it is you in trouble, traffic commissioner could revoke/ suspend your license, insurance will not cover damaged caused,you are no use to anyone without your license, dont do it.

If you are worried about that you can lock the door, we had to do it when tipping in the Gorbals. If that is the case, firemen wouldn’t go to fires in case the appliance was nicked.

Traffic commissioners would not be interested in that, they have dustbins too

I do a bit of bin work part time through an agency. The council we work for expect the driver to remain with the vehicle at all times unless he switches off and locks the cab.

A:) For vehicle security, I got told off on my first day for leaving the loaders in the cab with the engine running whilst I went to the shop

B:) For the safety of the loaders, they like you to be watching on the camera in case anything goes wrong at the back and you have to stop the machinery, extra pair of eyes scenario.