Laybys/ trailer doors

Hi guys. Just thought Id throw this in… I was driving back to Cambridge from Northampton, on the A45, when I was betweenEarls Barton and Wilby roundabout, I narrowly missed colliding with a trailer door that had come loose, or been opened and was swinging well into the carriageway. I dialled 101 and called it in, but the operator said it was being dealt with imminently.
The message has to be, try and make sure your trailer doors are secure before you go to bed. I know no ones infallible, but it really is dangerous, and dont get me going about overnighting in laybys anyway… :grimacing:

I would of pulled over and secured the door for the driver to be honest , few mins and job sorted .

For this reason I open the n/s one if I’m in a layby.

Some of our trailers have the pull out handle things and some have the little karibiner clips on a short length of wire. With the wire ones I tend to use a curtain buckle over one of the handles or use an internal over the door, same if I’m going onto a bay with the doors open.

My first couple of times going onto a bay were broken up with swearing and lots of getting out to stop swinging doors :laughing:

A.

maybe it was locked up when he/she went to bed and some inconsiderate thieving scumbag never closed it after looking to see what he could nick. :astonished:

Come on. Irrespective of where you overnight, you ALWAYS have a thorough all-round gander of your kit before setting off (right?). As long as it isn`t peeing down, i do mine with the added pleasure of a coffin nail & coffee. Gotta be ever vigilant for those humorous pranksters, the pin yankers as well.

I would rather of stopped and gave whoever it was a knock on the door to let them know about it or even left them asleep and tied them back myself, better that than potentially dropping another driver in the brown stuff. We’re all in this together aren’t we?

However if stopping wasn’t possible I would of reported the matter, risking another driver getting a slapped wrist is better than risking causing an accident. I don’t know what the full circumstances were in this particular incident so I am not making judgements on other peoples actions.

MickyB666:
I would rather of stopped and gave whoever it was a knock on the door to let them know about it or even left them asleep and tied them back myself, better that than potentially dropping another driver in the brown stuff. We’re all in this together aren’t we?

However if stopping wasn’t possible I would of reported the matter, risking another driver getting a slapped wrist is better than risking causing an accident. I don’t know what the full circumstances were in this particular incident so I am not making judgements on other peoples actions.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=133845

■■■■■■■:
Come on. Irrespective of where you overnight, you ALWAYS have a thorough all-round gander of your kit before setting off (right?). As long as it isn`t peeing down, i do mine with the added pleasure of a coffin nail & coffee. Gotta be ever vigilant for those humorous pranksters, the pin yankers as well.

+1 and I have a handy claw hammer down the side of my drivers seat :wink:

I never understand drivers who open the offside door overnight, I always assume it’s laziness as its the door that opens first, but if I ever did a night out in a layby I would always open the nearside with the thinking that if it did come unhooked then its no big deal.

Some of the worst lay bys that the least intelligent of you lay by parkers stop in, are so ■■■■ narrow I would imagine the extra width caused by the o/s door being open, would put it over the line…parallel with your o/s mirror pulled in :unamused:
I park on ind ests not lay bys, and even there I leave the n/s door open.