Laybys for parking... or not?

On a recent trip to Kent (from hereford), I reached my 4hrs 15 driving time approaching Faversham. I withdrew from M2, and on reaching the top of the slip road followed the signs to a parking area only to find it full of cars! Cars from people not wanting to pay for parking.
I moved on to find another layby, and on finding one (my limit driving time very close) had exactly the same scenario. I then went a little further and found a gateway to a field, and on reversing in - WHOOPPs Iv infringed on my time.

Now I have noticed this is common in some areas but not in others. Winchester south is one area where I have encountered this as is Rochdale and Norwich.
How does everyone else manage and is my view that Councils / highways should do something about this as a Road Safety issue, shared?

that parking off a2/m2 is always full of cars an issue i raised the other week and the sign states hgv parking, its all the car sharing that park there, summit that i dont really find that hard is parking cos i work nights

if you think its bad now, try getting parked in the summer in a rdc truck park or anywhere come to that, there just full to the brim of cars,cars+caravans, the answer is do what they do to us when we park our trucks in the empty coach park whilst we whip in for a ■■■■,fine the zb £250 ,like they do us, thatll soon stop them :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:

I’ll give you an example:

I could never get a space to park outside my flat when i came home from work 5pm-6pm, literally dozens of cars. This was due to the park and ride down the street which only had 20 or so spaces. The council did a great thing and expanded the park and ride and those cars parked in there and left the streets clear for residents. It was such a success but the council in their wisdom :unamused: started charging 6quid a day almost instantly the cars went back to the streets, tennets carparks , side roads this time even more because the park and ride had attracted more users!

laybys? what about industrial estates you cant even get moving for parked cars. These people who design buildings and estates never think about transport.

lightning:
…followed the signs to a parking area only to find it full of cars! Cars from people not wanting to pay for parking. …

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

You may well find that a layby full of parked cars is usually being used as a meeting point for various “social” purposes!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I just try to avoid those laybys, they’re usually rubbish ones anyway, I assume the local council can do something about it. Up until recentley there were cars parked along the A226 Thames Way around Ebbsfleet train station causing a bottleneck (trying to avoid paying to park in the station carpark I suspect). Think the council slapped notices up and they were all gone after a day or two.

Just about anywhere you go in the south east parkings a real problem. According to VOSA it’s about the worst area of the country for rest period infringements. My own personal dislike is the design of the lay-bys and the fact that a lot of the time you’ll find them full literally to the brim, sometimes with 18" or so of trailer sticking out into the carriageway. You just want to see them in the mornings, trying to accellerate from a standing start into the carriage way :open_mouth: It’s a recipe for disaster, given the capacity for muppetry your average car driver round this neck of the woods has.

lightning:
On a recent trip to Kent (from hereford), I reached my 4hrs 15 driving time approaching Faversham. I withdrew from M2, and on reaching the top of the slip road followed the signs to a parking area only to find it full of cars! Cars from people not wanting to pay for parking.
I moved on to find another layby, and on finding one (my limit driving time very close) had exactly the same scenario. I then went a little further and found a gateway to a field, and on reversing in - WHOOPPs Iv infringed on my time.

Now I have noticed this is common in some areas but not in others. Winchester south is one area where I have encountered this as is Rochdale and Norwich.
How does everyone else manage and is my view that Councils / highways should do something about this as a Road Safety issue, shared?

You’ve not mentioned the tea bars parked in the middle of lay-bys. I also hate the ones that are about 4 inches wider than your vehicle, especially on fast roads. There is also the issue of the lowered kerbs to comply with the DDA., again reducing the amount of usable space. Bearing in mind the amount of land at the side of many main roads, there is plenty of scope to create more lay-bys. But why should anyone bother, we are the only sector of roaduser that has to comply with strict rules regarding breaks. Coach drivers generally run to a schedule that states where and when they stop.

ady1:
if you think its bad now, try getting parked in the summer in a rdc truck park or anywhere come to that, there just full to the brim of cars,cars+caravans, the answer is do what they do to us when we park our trucks in the empty coach park whilst we whip in for a ■■■■,fine the zb £250 ,like they do us, thatll soon stop them :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:

I have a solution for dealing with caravans parked in a HGV bay in motorway services - I park in front of them and block them in. When they inevitably come back from their overpriced meal and want to set off, they get politely told to go forth and multiply because they chose to park in a HGV park and that I’ll move when my break is over. Funny how my break always seems to go over 45 minutes when that happens :smiling_imp:

You can do as Conor suggests or carry a wheel clamp and earn yourself £200 :stuck_out_tongue:

The alternative is to walk straight into the caravan, sit down and ask for a bacon butty and a mug of tea :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyone seen the laybys in Cotswold towns and villages (one near Chastleton A44 springs to mind) where it’s a nice long layby behind trees and there’s a “residents only” sign in there because the pompous Londoners living there at weekends and school holidays either have enough pegs or don’t want drivers stopping there. Would you get done for parking there if your hours were up?