Law's on extending your trailer

Hi

I was told yesterday my run Monday will be collecting from 1 place and dropping off to 2 different places of 3 different bits. To carry this load am going to have to open the trailer up.

My question is how much can I open the trailer up?

The law on bumper to bumper length is 16.5 meter or 18.55 meter for new longer trailer. But are office say I can open up to this length (+2.05 meter) Other drivers have said nope only 1 meter. (on this kind of load)

The trailer is a 3axle semi 45ft long on a stranded 3axle mid lift unit. (no BE16 in place)

Thanks

bit hard to follow your question really, if its an extendable trailer then the general rule of thumb is you can open it up to 18.3mtrs in length without any need for assistance or notifications to the authorities, to put it simply, if the load is 60ft long then you can open the trailer to 60ft

I think your being told about your load overhanging the trailer, your not actually extending the trailer? Is that right?
So yes, the 2metres overhang is correct, although it must be visible, which is a little misleading.

chaversdad:
bit hard to follow your question really, if its an extendable trailer then the general rule of thumb is you can open it up to 18.3mtrs in length without any need for assistance or notifications to the authorities, to put it simply, if the load is 60ft long then you can open the trailer to 60ft

Nope. I know am good to open to 60ft for 10-60ft rail. But can i open it to 60ft for 3-20ft bits. ?

i.e 3- 20ft container = 60ft but more like 17ft-21ft-22ft = 60ft for 2 drops.

Mattwoodtransport:
I think your being told about your load overhanging the trailer, your not actually extending the trailer? Is that right?
So yes, the 2metres overhang is correct, although it must be visible, which is a little misleading.

I will need to open it and have overhang. But the load is in 3 parts and not the same.

My interpretation has always been that the load must be indivisble but you see lots on the road that aren’t often farm machinery.

Own Account Driver:
My interpretation has always been that the load must be indivisble but you see lots on the road that aren’t often farm machinery.

My interpretation has always been that the load must be indivisible
When I carried loads like this of variable lengths i.e.60ft trl one piece had to be big enough,you could not carry 3 pieces say 20ft,25ft,15ft as this could be carried on 2 vehicles.Gone all round the houses there but I hope you get my drift.
regards dave.

Thats what i thought dave.

But i’ve been told to open the trailer so that the bumper to bumper is 18.55meter long and run the rest of it has overhang.

Example of the sort of thing you see but, I personally don’t think is legal.

I always find it best to have some overhang it might make it a bit easier to get in somewhere i always thought it should be one piece ie barge,machine portakabin im not sure its right to extend the trailer to get more drops on otherwise everyone would have extendable trailers

But can i open it to 60ft for 3-20ft bits. ?

Legaly no… for it to be extended past 45 foot at least one piece must be the full length

But the above isn’t an extender so providing the load isn’t over 3050 mm overhang then it’s fine ,although looking at the above I’d say to include the draw bar of that feeder trailer a 2 nd man would be needed .

This is a memory test! Can’t really remember and not got my books here to look it up but from memory it has to be an indivisible load to extend the trailer. Might be wrong.

so you’re allowed 3.05metres sticking out the back of any trailer?

that pic of the farm trailers is mad! is that the foreign trucks you see delivering tractors (riks?) that go home with with one of the unit/trailers loaded on to the back of another?

How do the guys moving 2 x 8 wheel tippers do it on an extended low loader, seen them quite a few times, they must be well over length, and I’m sure at least one of them has posted on here saying its legal.

Rikki-UK:

Legaly no… for it to be extended past 45 foot at least one piece must be the full length

+1

We got told we could not move 3 oil tanks that way a few years ago. …it is two runs .

Get someone in your office of a higher authority ( TM) to put it in writing to you it is legal, you in my opinion would still get done but in your defence with the letter your TM will get ■■■■ for it and less would land on you.
OR Tell them No You are not doing it.

Rikki-UK:

this is all you need to know, if you do as you have been asked it is illegal regardless of what anyone else tells you

daffyd:
so you’re allowed 3.05metres sticking out the back of any trailer?

that pic of the farm trailers is mad! is that the foreign trucks you see delivering tractors (riks?) that go home with with one of the unit/trailers loaded on to the back of another?

I don’t believe you can unless it is indivisible. For example, there are special specific exemptions that allow Moffetts on the back without which they would not be legal. You wouldn’t getaway with putting a tail-lift down and strapping another couple of pallets on either but a lot seem to run with cherry picker baskets and bits of plant and machinery overhanging but I think if it can be split into two loads then legally that is what should be happening.

I also haven’t seen many farm trailers loaded overhanging recently so wonder if someone got done or finally realised it wasn’t legal.

I’ve been stopped by vosa before with 4 wheeler on the neck and a motorhome over hanging the back of a semi low ,the back wheels where just on so it was over by 10 ft ,their only concern was that if went dark would I turn the motorhome lights on ,and the stop was just a general check not due to the load .

Sorry, yes it’s maybe ok if the overall length is within C&U where the load effectively becomes the trailer. Although I would guess the motorhome would maybe not appear to go on the neck as it is ok to occupy spare space the indivisible load item cannot occupy ie big plant item on a low loader and ■■■■■■ van on the neck.

If you constructed a stillage to load to a trailer rear, filled with goods, that was the exact same dimensions as a Moffett and to be carried when the Moffett was not required I can guarantee 100% that it would not be legal.