Law on artic with L plates?

Hi guys.

Where does the law stand on driving a artic on L plates. The driver (me) has class 2 and the person that would be with me has been driving artic for 30 years.

Can I do that to get some practice in or do I have to do my training the same way I did my class 2 - 5day intensive course?

If I can do it is it my tacho card I use? Somebody said I might have to use the qualified drivers card? That doesn’t seem right to me but then I’m not sure haha.

Driving an empty truck not for reward the answer seems to be yes from another thread. Driving with a load no, driving back from delivering a load no. Driving somewhere empty and back empty yes.

He can drive your truck with appropriate insurance and L plates but not with a paying load. This would require a driver cpc.

The only licence requirement to supervise a LGV learner is to hold the appropriate licence for 3 years.

To expand on this - he cannot drive under L plates on an empty return to base for example because that is still part of the commercial journey

He can drive under L plates if the whole drive/journey was from the yard and back to the yard empty

Quotes taken from another recent thread asking similar and they are both very knowledgeable one in particular who runs a training school who advertises on here.

Under no circumstances can you use another drivers card just for clarity on that question. Only the driver the card is allocated to can use that digi card.

Reading that again as you would hold a driver cpc or should hold one than it looks like it should be possible.

But I’d check with either Rog or Peter Smythe on here to be sure.

Assuming you hold a DQC there is no reason you cant drive loaded. You would use your card in slot 1. My understanding, and I stand to be corrected, is that the supervising driver would use slot 2 - other work.

A few years ago there were huge debates (that were never concluded) about driving loaded on L plates. Now there is no argument as you HAVE to be loaded for the test and, therefore, logically during training.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
Assuming you hold a DQC there is no reason you cant drive loaded. You would use your card in slot 1. My understanding, and I stand to be corrected, is that the supervising driver would use slot 2 - other work.

A few years ago there were huge debates (that were never concluded) about driving loaded on L plates. Now there is no argument as you HAVE to be loaded for the test and, therefore, logically during training.

Hope this helps, Pete [emoji38] [emoji38]

Perfect timing Pete and OP there is your answer straight from the horses mouth so to speak.

And as Pete says your card in slot 1 whilst driving and the other drivers card in slot 2 when you are driving and vice versa.

If both drivers have a card and licence for the vehicle they must the tachograph to record activities when one is available. With 2 drivers the first 45 mins of any period of poa (whilst in slot 2) is accepted by DVSA as break. Even if a driver has no intention or need to drive the vehicle he must use slot 2 because he has the licence and could drive the vehicle if required.

If DCPC by LGV C driver held then loaded is legal
Insurance company must OK it
L plates fitted

Supervising driver =
Over age 21
Held CE for 3+ years
Uses slot 2 but as that only records POA then manual entry for other work and breaks must be made

Thanks guys. I have cat C and have CPC. Driver I would be with is owner operator and been a C+E driver for 30 odd years.

So my card slot 1- driving ect
His card slot 2 - first 45 mins POA rest on other work?
L plates fitted
Check with insurance company
And good to go?

Slot 2 will default to poa all the time. So you will need to manually change it to other work or break as required.
But as both cars are in then as long as you comply with the WTD and both drive for periods the first 45 mins of poa is calssed as break, so you can potentially work it to your advantage.

Tacho analysis software sometimes will show it as insufficient rest if its not set up properly if using poa breaks when double manning but DVSA do accept the first 45 mins of driving as break when in slot 2. So work it whoever way is best for you both.

The hardest bit is remembering to change the mode on slot 2 for most people when you don’t double man very often.

ROG:
If DCPC by LGV C driver held then loaded is legal
Insurance company must OK it
L plates fitted

Supervising driver =
Over age 21
Held CE for 3+ years
Uses slot 2 but as that only records POA then manual entry for other work and breaks must be made

Just for clarity Rog slot 2 only records POA when moving, when stationary you can select other work or break.

I’m not comfortable with using double manning rules under these circumstances. I dont really know why - just doesn’t seem to sit right with me.

But I’m all ears if someone can tell me my fears are unfounded.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
I’m not comfortable with using double manning rules under these circumstances. I dont really know why - just doesn’t seem to sit right with me.

But I’m all ears if someone can tell me my fears are unfounded.

Pete [emoji38] [emoji38]

I personally don’t see it as an issues. Both drivers have CPC and both drive trucks for a living. The only difference here is the driver is learning the size of the new vehicle. That’s my take on it but as you say maybe to be on the safe side run under normal rules and records breaks as required just to be safe.

Thanks guys.

Don’t worry, no double manning. I’d only be out to learn the artic ropes. We would only do what he would normally do on a day to day basis except sometimes I’d get a shot at driving, I’d be driving rather than the other guy. He would be their to teach/advise ect

Robaidh:
Thanks guys.

Don’t worry, no double manning. I’d only be out to learn the artic ropes. We would only do what he would normally do on a day to day basis except sometimes I’d get a shot at driving, I’d be driving rather than the other guy. He would be their to teach/advise ect

If both are driving then it is double manning if both are together for the shift