Latvia, info needed

Later this week I will be taking a 7.5t up to Riga, Latvia for a conference (lucky me!!).

Can anyone tell me is there a better route than going via the toll road to Warsaw and up via Balystock and Suwalki, seems to take forever this way :cry:

Also is there a vignette system in Latvia for 7.5t trucks, cant seem to find anything on the tinternet. Cheers :smiley:

thereā€™s no better way overland, maybe just a shortcut bypassing bialystok via lomza, but many companies use the scandlines route rostock-liepaja (lv) or kiel-klaipeda(lt) as itā€™s usually more economically viable

thereā€™s no road tax in latvia

Cheers, I have to load in London on thursday and be in Riga monday mid morning so i think iā€™ve got plenty of time.

steve try reading the euro sticky I have two put two
sites on there here are a few more,

LATVIA-1

LATVIA-2

latvia-on google THIS one is a list of sites on google,

you could go by boat from germany, from LƃĀ¼beck;Travermunnde,Rostock,

TRY THIS

AND alsoTHIS

ALSO look at the euro sticky for the info on poland, plus ask orys
for advice as he has the local knowledge which will be a great help.
hope the adbove helps,

milodon:
or kiel-klaipeda(lt)

I sincerely hope that they have improved the ferry over the last few years as when I used it I would have sworn it was an old Wehrmacht hospital ship :laughing: god was it a tub

Vascoingles:

milodon:
or kiel-klaipeda(lt)

I sincerely hope that they have improved the ferry over the last few years as when I used it I would have sworn it was an old Wehrmacht hospital ship :laughing: god was it a tub

Iā€™ve been on it once, a year ago and it wasnā€™t as bad as the railferrys they use on the sweden-lithuania and latvia lines, a brand new scania with a brand new reefer was overturned on one of them in january in a storm, a write-off

Mind you there wont be much traffic on the roadsā€¦

Most of them are over here on the doleā€¦

Joe C:
Mind you there wont be much traffic on the roadsā€¦

Most of them are over here on the doleā€¦

:unamused:
If thatā€™s the best you can do, donā€™t bother in future.
Before trying anything, you should remind yourself of the Forum rules and sanction system

Yes, from time to time TruckNet tolerates ā€œI hate foreignersā€ threads and you should reply to these rather than hijacking a post made by somebody seeking practical advice about driving to Latvia.

Thanks again for the advice guys, just got back. Brilliant trip, amazing city with great character and probably the most helpfull police officers I have ever come across, no probs at all, picture diary to follow in the next few days.