Latest news and offers from Peter Smythe Transport Training

I was soooo close - I went for 23 and 25 [emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So near ------- and yet so far. Sorry :blush:

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Don’t forget our Open Day on Sat 9th Sept. Gates open at 9am till around 3pm. Special Offers. Opportunity to try your hand at reversing an artic. Have a go in one of our brand new trucks. All free.

This design is significantly better than your other ones with road signs over them. Looks good nice work

Thankyou. Altogether more sophisticated - just like me!

New trucks duly arrived this afternoon. Took one out for a drive as I hadn’t had the opportunity to drive one previously. (The demonstrator was a lwb 18 tonner with difference engine and auto box - so a bit of a waste of time). To drive, I cant find reasonable fault. Gearbox is quick and the whole drive is responsive and lively. If I’m honest, the interior design is lacking in flair but I’ll settle for the good drive - cos that’s what it’s about.

Time will tell as far as reliability etc goes. But at the moment, happy.

Marvellous that one of them has been allocated to an instructor who is now on leave for a week! So it’ll just sit in the corner for a few days. Never mind!

Peter Smythe:
Registrations of the new trucks are T23 PST and T24 PST. One or two folks got close but unfortunately, no winner :cry:

Pete [emoji38] [emoji38]

That’s a shame no one won the competition. I was thinking T24 and T34 for some reason so I was halfway there even though I wasn’t entering. Was it always going to be two consecutive numbers out of the ones available?

The numbers were chosen before the competition started so, yes, they were always going to be consecutive.

Just wondered as I didn’t even think of it being two consecutive numbers rather than just any two of those numbers available.

Not posted in here for a little while but just got back from my LGV theory, Hazard perception and CPC Mod 2, passed all three… I’m dead chuffed

I attended the Peter Smythe classroom theory, cpc and driver hours/tacho sessions and found them really helpful, Thanks to Chris who made the sessions informative but also enjoyable.

Onwards and upwards

I’ve had a class 2 assesment at Peter Smythe & can guarantee it was nothing like your unfortunate experience the instructor that took me out was very proffesional
To the point where as soon as I have the funds available I’ll be booking class 2 & 1 with them

Well-Jell:
Am new here so hello everyone.

I haven’t long been in from night shift so please excuse any spelling mistakes or general banging on.

This thread is directed at Peter Smyth, or anybody who knows his company well enough to answer some of the questions i have.

Ok so earlier this week i had sort of a bad experience with a local training center and i get a sinking feeling that am dealing with a bunch of clowns and now am really thinking about doing it the Peter Smyth way instead.

Am not here to name and shame but it all started when i turned up at my local training center to start my assessment drive, after paying the receptionist i was directed into a waiting room where 2 instructors were sat, almost immediately they started calling each other names in fun, using the F word and the C word, this lasted only about a minute until they then started talking about their ■■■■■■ exploits in great graphic detail, way too graphic for me to explain about on a site such as this one, all of this was right in front of me, a paying customer who they had only met 4 minutes earlier, i could only sit in silence and stare at the wall the entire time, now you can maybe expect to hear that kind of talk down the pub but you don’t expect it in a professional business.

Anyway, after however long that lasted for one instructor went to to get the lorry i would be assessed in, and for me the final straw came when i was near the end of my 20 minute assessment drive when my instructor was talking about his career, he said " i have been here for 3 months now " to which i replied " what did you do before working here then ? you worked for another training center ? " he said " no i was a used car salesman… but i drove lorries in the army " so he could probably sell his granny if need be.

Now i know its nothing major like my instructor crashing the lorry into a wall while getting the vehicle ready for me to drive but its all left a sour taste in my mouth, am not sure how many instructors this company has but i think 100% of the ones i met are not very suitable for teaching, one is very young ( 26 max and very Jack the lad-ish ) and likes everybody to know in graphic detail about his ■■■■■■■ lifestyle and the other highly inexperienced at teaching, i don’t want to be taught how to drive LGVs by either of these two instructors but i just know i’ll get one of them, or possibly both somehow.

Now the company itself seemed ok to me, its a private company and not a broker, the premises are nice enough, the receptionist and doctor are very professional and polite and they have modern lorries that also seem to be well maintained so i wonder if they just have a few rouge instructors working for them, nonetheless its put my right off going with them if am honest as am on a budget, its not like money is no object, i will be spending more money on training than i spent on the car am driving around in.

So now i have really started to think about training with Peter Smyth as his reputation speaks for itself but i live over 120 miles away, the way the crow flies and over 140 actual driving miles so i wanted to ask a few questions really about category C training.

1. Would i qualify for free accommodation living this far away ?

2. Is training 1 on 1 ?

3. Are they Full days training ?

4. Would i need another medical if i go with Peter Smyth ?

5. I have already paid and booked my theory and hazard perception so i’d like to know the cost of only, practical training, test, and CPC module 2 and module 4 please.

6. Would i need an other assessment drive, i really don’t want to travel all that distance to do a quick assessment drive and then drive back, if absolutely necessary i could make a Saturday or Sunday appointment at 11am the earliest but weekdays are really a no go due to work and distance involved.

7. How much would the assessment drive cost and how long will it last for ?

I attended the open day at Peter Smythes on 09 Sept, I found it very professional and informative.
All the staff where knowledgeable and friendly. It has helped me with my decision to go for my Class C, and hopefully will be booking my training with them soon.

Well worth a call in my opinion.

Pleased you enjoyed the day and found it helpful. Although I couldn’t be there personally, I’ve been inundated with positive comments about the day and the service received.

Thanks for your kind comments, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Often when a difficulty is reported on the forum, the cry goes up “name and shame”. So it’s appropriate to name a trainer who has excelled expectations.

Whilst I was away last week, one of our instructors - Chris Manning-Cox - achieved not one, but two clean sheets in one day. This is the second time he’s done this which is remarkable. All our trainers achieve clean sheets frequently - with each of them normally running into double digits each year. All this makes me comfortable in the knowledge that we have some of the best trainers in the industry.

Being at home, I don’t have the names of the candidates to hand. But I would like to congratulate them and Chris for this outstanding achievement.

Peter Smythe:
Often when a difficulty is reported on the forum, the cry goes up “name and shame”. So it’s appropriate to name a trainer who has excelled expectations.

Whilst I was away last week, one of our instructors - Chris Manning-Cox - achieved not one, but two clean sheets in one day. This is the second time he’s done this which is remarkable. All our trainers achieve clean sheets frequently - with each of them normally running into double digits each year. All this makes me comfortable in the knowledge that we have some of the best trainers in the industry.

Being at home, I don’t have the names of the candidates to hand. But I would like to congratulate them and Chris for this outstanding achievement.

Chris MC is awesome - I’m back next month for my Class 1 with him!!! [emoji4][emoji4][emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peter Smythe:

Chris MC helped me achieve a clean sheet in July.

Chris is a good instructor and knows his stuff.

I shall be returning in the future to sit my class 1.

Chris is really good trainer. He knows the stuff and he’s very experienced trainer and driver. I had been successfully trained by him just couple weeks ago.

I can also mention your other, very patient trainer - Tim. He’s also really good one and again, he leads me to success.

You are a bit lucky with this team but also you put a big effort to achieve this level of service.

Well done to you Pete.
What is next step for PSTT?

Yes, Tim is an excellent and highly regarded trainer as well. As mentioned, maybe I’m a “bit lucky” with this team. But there has been an enormous amount of effort by everyone for many years to reach this point.

Thankyou for the kind comments. As for the next step, wait and see!!

Nice way to make a roundabout plug for your own business,start a thread telling everyone how great your instructors are :cry:

Nice way to make a roundabout plug for your own business,start a thread telling everyone how great your instructors are :cry:

Yep - but wasn’t meant to be “roundabout”. We’re working in a totally unregulated industry where anyone with a 3 year old licence can buy a rusty old truck, stick L plates on it and call themselves a driving instructor. And I think that is so wrong that when there is a polar opposite it makes sense to point it out.

If you’ve got it, flaunt it!

Peter Smythe:
Yes, Tim is an excellent and highly regarded trainer as well. As mentioned, maybe I’m a “bit lucky” with this team. But there has been an enormous amount of effort by everyone for many years to reach this point.

Thankyou for the kind comments. As for the next step, wait and see!!

Pete [emoji38] [emoji38]

World ■■■■■■■■■■?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Chris is good! but Tim is the best .
Cheers