Latest Moving On

The latest proclamation from VOSA has arrived by email. It contains the following advice directed at occasional drivers:

“Non-working days, such as weekends and days off, do not need to be recorded. Nor do days where no EC-regulated driving takes place, though you must still take sufficient daily rest that day and sufficient weekly rest in that fixed week (0000 hrs Monday to 2400 hrs Sunday).”

This would appear to contradict previous advice/interpretation that a record needs to be kept to account for any non-driving work during the previous 7 or even 28 days before commencement of an EU driving day.

VOSA is only the UK’s gvt body though, so for UK, I’ve never bothered recording days off etc (unless I get in a truck with a new style digi where it asks you), but once over the water, I’ve heard it’s very different and I’d personally be on an arse covering exercise.

When I did a DCPC course a few weeks ago they got on about this because they didn’t know what I would say if stopped. I work for an agency and had a job for 8 months that ended 6th December though choice I have not driven again until last week 24th feb, what I have done is do a house up for selling. What would I say if stopped?

mac12:
When I did a DCPC course a few weeks ago they got on about this because they didn’t know what I would say if stopped. I work for an agency and had a job for 8 months that ended 6th December though choice I have not driven again until last week 24th feb, what I have done is do a house up for selling. What would I say if stopped?

If it is your house, then it is not work IMO, I call it DIY :smiley:

Someone elses house, if you are getting paid then it would be work.

trubster:

mac12:

It was a house I bought to do up to sell but I never kept records of hours so how would vosa no I hadn’t been driving somewhere on a paper taco 7 days a week and lost them

So let me get this right, I haven’t driven a tacho equipped vehicle for over six months but I would have to supply VOSA with details of my last twenty eight days activities if I drove one today and got stopped by them.

I can’t remember what I have done on a day to day basis for the last month and I am sure there others who are in the same position.

cav551:
The latest proclamation from VOSA has arrived by email. It contains the following advice directed at occasional drivers:

“Non-working days, such as weekends and days off, do not need to be recorded. Nor do days where no EC-regulated driving takes place, though you must still take sufficient daily rest that day and sufficient weekly rest in that fixed week (0000 hrs Monday to 2400 hrs Sunday).”

This would appear to contradict previous advice/interpretation that a record needs to be kept to account for any non-driving work during the previous 7 or even 28 days before commencement of an EU driving day.

They do indeed appear to have moved the goal posts, the advice in Moving on is directly contradictory to the advice on page 39 of their publication GV262.

I’ve emailed VOSA and asked if the rules have changed or if the advice in Moving On is incorrect.

It’ll be interesting to see how or if they respond :wink:

By the way, the advice has never been that you should keep records for the previous 7 or 28 days before commencing in-scope driving, the advice in GV262 is that you should keep records of none driving work done during any week in which in-scope driving takes place.

tachograph:

cav551:

They do indeed appear to have moved the goal posts, the advice in Moving on is directly contradictory to the advice on page 39 of their publication GV262.

I’ve emailed VOSA and asked if the rules have changed or if the advice in Moving On is incorrect.

It’ll be interesting to see how or if they respond :wink:

The point is, if they stop me and ask what I have been doing and I say not working will they believe me? I could have been driving using an analogue tacho and they cannot prove it was used by me unless they have seen it on the road somewhere.

The whole thing is a bit farcical in my opinion.

waddy640:
The point is, if they stop me and ask what I have been doing and I say not working will they believe me? I could have been driving using an analogue tacho and they cannot prove it was used by me unless they have seen it on the road somewhere.

The whole thing is a bit farcical in my opinion.

No system is perfect, personally I couldn’t care less whether they want records for none driving days or not, but they do need to be clear one way or the other.

trubster:

mac12:

What is the difference between DIY and work regarding physical effort? This is what it is about. There is nothing to stop you painting a ceiling in your house, finishing at 3am and starting driving at 6am is there, so the rules are totally unenforceable regarding being rested and fit to drive.

On a ‘rest’ you must be free to dispose of your time as you wish…but if you go to work for someone you are no longer free to dispose of your time.

the law fortunately still regards us as being responsible enough to be able to plan our own leisure time and take responsibility for getting enough sleep etc.

But you also have to take responsibility if you drive short of sleep and cause an accident.

So how exactly can a driver record non working time. There are many retired drivers who do nothing between jobs, myself included, so driving obviously is recorded on a digi or tacho cards, but to record non driving or other work is merely by word of mouth, unless they want you to record it in a book or a piece of paper, in which case its liable to interpretation, bit like the old log book, if they want you to record, they should have a form especially for that reason, just a thought.

truckyboy:
So how exactly can a driver record non working time. There are many retired drivers who do nothing between jobs, myself included, so driving obviously is recorded on a digi or tacho cards, but to record non driving or other work is merely by word of mouth, unless they want you to record it in a book or a piece of paper, in which case its liable to interpretation, bit like the old log book, if they want you to record, they should have a form especially for that reason, just a thought.

I’d be happy to keep a log of what I do each day, providing VOSA were willing to pay me for doing it.

I think VOSA (DVSA) might be getting a few queries about this.

I emailed them yesterday but don’t expect a reply. It is a clear contradiction to the GV262. It isn’t the first time there has been incorrect information in the Moving On publication though.

waddy640:

trubster:

mac12:

What is the difference between DIY and work regarding physical effort? This is what it is about. There is nothing to stop you painting a ceiling in your house, finishing at 3am and starting driving at 6am is there, so the rules are totally unenforceable regarding being rested and fit to drive.

Exactly, last Thursday I finished work at 0600, I went home went to sleep woke up at 1300, fixed my fence for about 3-4 hours, sorted the kids put them to bed, went to work at 2300, I didn’t finish work the next day until 1355, a 14h 55min shift with a 9h 45min drive, was it legal? Yes! Was it a safe thing to do? Not really.

I must point out the run I expected was supposed to finish at 0600ish, but it’s transport and things change.

waddy640:
So let me get this right, I haven’t driven a tacho equipped vehicle for over six months but I would have to supply VOSA with details of my last twenty eight days activities if I drove one today and got stopped by them.

I can’t remember what I have done on a day to day basis for the last month and I am sure there others who are in the same position.

Help an old timer out guys…Are you telling me if you drive a truck, tacho equiped, that if VOSA stop you, they can demand to know what you’ve been doing for the 28 days prior ?
If you weren’t driving a truck prior to being stopped, thats all they need to know, that you were not driving a truck, they have absolutely no right to ask or demand what you were doing…that’s personel and an infingement on civil liberties, and sod all to do with them or anyone else
You weren’t driving a truck, is all they need to know… up to them to prove you were. :imp:

I feel for you lads driving to-day, the job must be a bloody nightmare, glad I’m retired and out of it…the best times are long gone. :frowning:

Good luck

Fergie47:

waddy640:

Help an old timer out guys…Are you telling me if you drive a truck, tacho equiped, that if VOSA stop you, they can demand to know what you’ve been doing for the 28 days prior ?

No.

If you get stopped by VOSA they can ask to see your driver card if you have one, any charts/records you’ve completed for the previous 28 days, and any printouts you’ve been legally required to do in the previous 28 days.

Not much has changed in recent years really, except now for many people the records are on digital driver cards.

If you work to EU regulations on any day in a week you should keep records of any other work done in that week, so if you worked in a warehouse Monday to Thursday then drove in-scope of EU regulations on Friday you should carry manual records for the days Monday to Thursday.
The records for none driving days only need to show start and finish times, and can be legally written on charts or printouts, or log sheets if you’ve been on domestic regulations.