Last week on nights

After 18 months on night shift , this is my last back to days. Thank goodness ,I salute guys who do it year in year out, I just couldn’t do it. I felt all I did was work & sleep, looking forward to functioning like a normal human being again & spending time with my family.

Actually just starting two months of nights from Heathrow to Coventry tomorrow evening. It’ll be my first prolonged period of night work for years.

I actually prefer nights and would always take a night job over a day job.

Reef:

I genuinely don’t k ow how you could prefer nights over days,apart from traffic . I work with guys done nights for years wouldn’t change Most of them split up or divorced was heading that way if I didn’t change.

Been a couple of weeks back on days, what a difference it’s made. I’m functioning like a normal human being, can have dinner with family not grumpy at weekends due to lack of sleep. Instead of getting up at 17.00 on a Friday I’m finishing at that time.
To the guys/Gals who do night shift for years I salute you.

IndigoJo:
Actually just starting two months of nights from Heathrow to Coventry tomorrow evening. It’ll be my first prolonged period of night work for years.

That’s not bad, only a couple of hour run, I used to do Manchester to Heathrow 3 nights and 2 nights Manchester to Brum Airport, the Heathrow had UPTO 11 drops / collections per night, and I was a zombie after a few months doing that.

mjallby:
Been a couple of weeks back on days, what a difference it’s made. I’m functioning like a normal human being, can have dinner with family not grumpy at weekends due to lack of sleep. Instead of getting up at 17.00 on a Friday I’m finishing at that time.
To the guys/Gals who do night shift for years I salute you.

It actually didn’t happen. The company wanted me to hang around every night just in case they needed me, and after one night the agency said they couldn’t expect me to do that so the company went to a sub-contractor. The one night I did work there it was a run to Northampton, not Coventry. I wasn’t happy with the safety of their trailers - they were double deckers with no internal restraining straps (they claimed the straps within the curtains were sufficient) and they put free-standing cages on the upper deck. They could have come straight down when the curtain was opened.

Totally get where you’re coming from OP, however, I like nights - mainly cos most of the ■■■■-heads are off the road! Don’t think I could cope with days…

Face:
Totally get where you’re coming from OP, however, I like nights - mainly cos most of the ■■■■-heads are off the road! Don’t think I could cope with days…

ditto, and the office is shut…

done nights for 12 years now… usually start about 6pm , back in bed by 6am, sometimes even 2am on a flier…

I’m actually in the same boat as the OP. Next week is my last week on nights, i’ve bagged a new job.

I’ve always said that I prefer nights and I certainly stand by that in terms of the job itself; work on nights is generally much more straight forward, theres no traffic, the ‘eyes’ in the yard are all at home in bed, everything’s much more laid back. I’m dreading getting back into the morning rat race, but I have to do it for the sake of my relationship, that quality time during the week in the evenings is valuable.

rob22888:
I’m actually in the same boat as the OP. Next week is my last week on nights, i’ve bagged a new job.

I’ve always said that I prefer nights and I certainly stand by that in terms of the job itself; work on nights is generally much more straight forward, theres no traffic, the ‘eyes’ in the yard are all at home in bed, everything’s much more laid back. I’m dreading getting back into the morning rat race, but I have to do it for the sake of my relationship, that quality time during the week in the evenings is valuable.

Absolutely, Mrs is delighted home every night not so much I’ve took over tv control. I’ve not had a problem with rat race traffic few don’t give you enough room but that’s to be expected

Reef:

Me too, the less I come into contact with day driving the better

papermonkey:

Reef:

Me too, the less I come into contact with day driving the better

Yep I prefer night

17 years on nights now would hate to do days. But as I only do Monday to Thursday about 10 hours a shift sometimes less it’s a very good work life balance for me.

senior50:
17 years on nights now would hate to do days. But as I only do Monday to Thursday about 10 hours a shift sometimes less it’s a very good work life balance for me.

Thats fair enough, thats a good shift pattern.

If I could find a night job that was 9/10pm start - 6/7am Sun-Thurs night, i’d be all over it. That way I get time at home in the evening with family before i’d normally go to bed anyway, i’d see the missus at breakfast everyday & have time to ‘recover’ on Friday before going into the weekend.

As it is, most night jobs seem to want you in at teatime so you’ve got no work/life balance during the week whatsoever. In recent months i’ve been starting at 5/6pm, meaning i’m out of the house from 4/5pm - 3/4am Mon-Fri. Doing those hours you may as well go tramping, max our your hours and earn more coin imo.