Last second lane changers LOL

These idiots (of which there seem more in the north east US) wait till they are actually along side the exit ramp before hitting the brakes and swerving from the middle or even far off side lane causing chaos. I love preventing the naughty geezers from making the exit unless they do it properly and pull into the lane they need in time with out cutting everyone including me up.
Last week as i was heading south on 87 towards th eTappan Zee bridge I was climbing the hill with an empty tanker just getting to the last exit before the bridge and noticed a BMW in the extreme left lane going like BMW’s do and put his right indicator on to switch to the exit and the last second, they have to get past the truck first even if the poor sod jack knifes, I watched him serve over alongside me and try to cut in front of me not knowing I was empty, I put my foot into it and he was stuck, seeing he couldn’t get in front he hit the brakes (we were both next to his exit ramp) so I too braked :laughing: he ended up on a 10 mile diversion and an $8.00 toll for the bridge before he could turn around and go back :laughing: By the way ! … traffic going the other way was at a standstill :laughing:

Today as I got near exit 12 on the NY northway I looked in the mirror to see a Honda Oddessy in the middle lane put his right signal on to get off, there was nothing behind me so no reason he couldn’t pull in behind and exit, it was the normal ‘Gotta get in front of that truck’ syndrome. He left it too late and running out of space didn’t try to ease off or brake he sped up :open_mouth: Did I give in and slow ? did I hell and he too went about 7 miles to the next exit … these fools never learn.

Once again I’m being treated to the delights of North American car drivers… unbelievable!
I was overtaking an oversize load with my own oversize load last week on a two lane, when, as I was half way past, a nugget came down the shoulder to pass us both!
I’m more of a gentleman than you Pat, so I let him get past.

P.S. Yes, I had checked my mirrors before I started to pass and it was clear. This joker CHOSE to pass two oversized loads at once.

I just loose my cool mate. The police here are not tough enough on car drivers, they drive up the shoulder when traffic is stopped, ther drive up the inside of your trailer as you make a turn and give you the middle finger if you sound the horn, they trun left from right hand lanes and vice versa and in Yonkers the worst for such attrocious driving are school bus drivers and cab drivers. cops just ignore them untill they hit someone or something, then it seems all of them actually have no drivers licence :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

While I’m back in England this christmas / new year I’m going to look into getting myself one of those roadhawk cameras or something similar so I can record some the the antics the moronic car drivers over here as people in the UK just dont understand how much worse things here really are.

Sounds exactly like a normal day driving round Paris, I’m pretty laid back but sometimes I have to stop for a break just to calm down.

You have no idea Russel :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

most of the idiots round NYC actually have no driving licence or insurance, they don’t care and unless they are in an accident they never get caught.

russell2587:
Sounds exactly like a normal day driving round Paris, I’m pretty laid back but sometimes I have to stop for a break just to calm down.

The Paris driving actually works though, if you all drive the same, and at least they glance before changing lanes on the periferique, the Yanks just DO NOT LOOK anywhere else than in front of their cars!

The difference between reckless drivers in the US and Europe is that the ones in Europe tend to do their deed at higher speeds and then f8ck off out of the way and be gone, without causing too much of a problem on the most part. In the US they will cut infront of a truck, slam their brakes on and sit there for ages causing you to have to take emergency evasive action and when you blow the horn at the fools they are genuinely shocked and unaware of what they have just done. What would be exceptionally bad driving in Europe would be the day to day norm in the NE of the US. They are completely unaware of anything beyond the end of the hood of their car and especially anything in the lanes at either side of them. American cars may as well come as standard with no side windows and mirrors because they never use them. That would involve too much effort like having to turn their head and that would just never do when they have more important things to be doing like eating their bagel, drinking their coffee and talking on their phone.

The whole Toronto area is a nightmare too, they all think they’re New Yorkers, same driving style, little less skill :unamused:

Friday gone I was in BC, it was snowing quite heavily, going up a mountain pass I was overtaking a lorry, using the one passing lane, I didn’t have long to get around him so had wound it up a bit, as I got alongside him the car behind me couldn’t wait a few more seconds, so out they came, eastbound in the one westbound lane as we went over the brow of the hill :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

newmercman:
The whole Toronto area is a nightmare too, they all think they’re New Yorkers, same driving style, little less skill :unamused:

Toronto can be terrible at times, same with Montreal. The problem in my opinion, especially with Toronto is the sheer amount of foreigners, especially from so called third world countries who are driving there on either no licence at all or an international drivers permit etc and just cannot match the already low standards of local Canadians behind the wheel of a car. Another thing I think is because cars here are so easy to drive, being automatic, that people put no thought or effort in to driving other than the basics of going forwards, turning and braking, once they’ve ‘mastered’ that, they just stay at that level of driving ability and we have to suffer the consequences minute to minute, day to day etc.

robinhood_1984:

newmercman:

Toronto can be terrible at times, same with Montreal. The problem in my opinion, especially with Toronto is the sheer amount of foreigners, especially from so called third world countries who are driving there on either no licence at all or an international drivers permit etc and just cannot match the already low standards of local Canadians behind the wheel of a car. Another thing I think is because cars here are so easy to drive, being automatic, that people put no thought or effort in to driving other than the basics of going forwards, turning and braking, once they’ve ‘mastered’ that, they just stay at that level of driving ability and we have to suffer the consequences minute to minute, day to day etc.

Yep, that’s why they have to have ‘Objects in mirror are closer than they appear’ stencilled on their mirrors, dumb as a box of rocks the lot of em :unamused: :unamused:

When the driving test is a short drive around the block and thats if you can be bothered to even get a licence, the standards will get no bettter! When I arrived in the US I had to take my driving test as well as do 8 hours in a class room, after about an hour the tutor asked if I wanted to take the class as I knew far more than him and he wasn’t joking!
I often drive in Manhattan and I always expect other drivers to do the most stupid things I can imaging and I’m never dissapointed!

It’s the same in the more ethnicly diverse parts of London loads driving round on he same brief and not a bit of road sense.
Whitechappel bethnal green southall etc are a nightmare.

A couple of idiots seen today :laughing:
At a set of traffic lights in Yonkers and 02.00am in the middle of 3 lanes I saw a taxi cab that just sat there when the lights changed green, horns sounded and everyone had to drive around him as he sat reading a damm map :open_mouth:
On I-87 north in a section 3 lanes each way a red Toyota Corolla doing about 80mph whosshe by me and came up to another car in the middle lane, sat bumper to bumper after he stood on the brakes and although both other lanes were empty he sat flashing his lights at the guy untill he moved, then drove like a bat out of hell to the next poor sod. The red car had Vermont plates of course so he could only see the lane directly in front of his car.
At exit 20 on the same road (lake George exit) I sat waiting at the lights and watched yet another Vermont idiot drive up the on ramp to I-87 north then change his mind and reverse half a mile back down the ramp again causing all others to swerve abd avoind him.

Vermont drivers are generally useless on Interstates, probably because they have so few so have no experience and the ones they do have are largely traffic free.