Last resort

Hey All

So after trying just about everyone (seriously), by visiting them, handing in CVs and speaking to various people on the phones, looking at vacancy websites etc i’ve finally run out of options bar one last thing.

My Dad gave me a letter with his ex employers company mobile number on it, do I phone that as a last resort (having already held my cv in to them 5 times) and explain to him my situation, where I got the number and how my Dad said he would be happy to go out with me if it was okay by him, to show me the runs (my father only left the company due to a recent car accident he had off duty)? That way he doesn’t need to pay another man for having to sit beside me and show me everything, whereas my Dad has just left the job a couple of months big like I said.

I know the TM usually does the hiring and firing but they don’t come much higher than the boss man himself (company owner). I know most wouldn’t, it’s not like phoning up William Stobart though as the firm i’m talking about, the boss actually drives too.

I know they take on new drivers, i have £2000 and 13 weeks of wages paid for me through a company up here called Skills Development to help me also so I would mention this to him.

Do I phone it or not? :blush: :cry:

Aye!

Give it a go. What have you got to lose??

Sam,

Use whatever tools you have at your disposal, but my advice would be to use them at the right time.

You have to remember that this is the worst possible to time of year to be looking for work as a truck driver. I think you are taking this to heart too much, it’s not a reflection on you necessarily, everyone else is in the same boat.

Your age and lack of experience mean you are always going to struggle to find work, but you will get something eventually. just be thankful you still live with your parents and can sit on your licence until something comes along.

Gogan:
Sam,

Use whatever tools you have at your disposal, but my advice would be to use them at the right time.

You have to remember that this is the worst possible to time of year to be looking for work as a truck driver. I think you are taking this to heart too much, it’s not a reflection on you necessarily, everyone else is in the same boat.

Your age and lack of experience mean you are always going to struggle to find work, but you will get something eventually. just be thankful you still live with your parents and can sit on your licence until something comes along.

Yeah I can understand why you think I’m taking it to heart mate – just because I’m really serious and I’m very harsh on myself. I said I would do my absolute best to make sure I was in work for the end of March but it becomes even more worrying when you phone everyone on a map and not one person is employing :open_mouth: I know it’s a sign of the times, a few have simply just said no not interested, not enough experience or too young but there’s only been about 5 and that’s being deadly honest.

I really don’t like having to be on the dole as much as some people on here would think going by previous threads :laughing: but I just want to get out and make a living for myself, it’s not just a job or any old job, its a job i want to do, and take pride in doing. Obviously I haven’t had the chance to experience that yet, and getting up at 5am and sitting in the passengers seat all day is slightly different to doing the driving all day but still.

I WANTT TOOO WORRKKK. :slight_smile:

Do it Sam

if you dont you will never know , and even if not hiring at the moment your Dad `s previous history may be advantage its all about who you know these days any little advantage is helpfull

jen x

Hiya Mate,
Just as many of us I’d been through it all. I had no connections at all with zero class 1 experience. I phoned and phoned and turned up been assessed time after time then been turned down and all that. It was quite humiliating as I am a confident driver. Finally it all paid off. Don’t loose your confidence and don’t let them see that you’re in need. You are a top drive and they need you not the other way around. Trust me it works. It’s a mind game… :wink: