Last night's 'Motorway Cops'

This programme did not show lorry drivers in a very good light. I don’t think it was a deliberate attempt by careful editing, it was just that there were enough examples of poor driving not to need to go looking for it. Sadly someone died.

Yeah - made for pretty uncomfortable viewing, and as you rightly say did not do much at all for our collective public image. I didn`t get the feeling either that it was a witch hunt, but still…

Did not see the program last night but are we really surprised? It is the poor standard we see on the roads everyday.
How can we expect people to see us any differently when some blatantly display very poor and often very aggressive driving everyday.

Have faith Albion - DCPC will eradicate all bad habits and practices by educating us to become elite drivers. ■■■■ - my tongue`s just pierced right through my cheek!

■■■■■■■:
Yeah - made for pretty uncomfortable viewing

+1, the fatal really moved me…:frowning:

There was a thread on here about the accident when it originally happened.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=91642

Found it quite hard to watch. I’ve always moved over when I’ve seen police/recovery working on the H/S but wouldn’t normally slow down if there was sufficient space.
I think my attitude has changed slightly from watching this.

While you may think it did not show lorry drivers in a good light, have the drivers featured done us any favours?

I have seen first hand how stupid some drivers are when it comes to the aftermath of accidents on motorways. There was a Hgv driver that fell asleep (his words) on the A1/A 14 interchange a few years ago.

I stopped as nobody else was on scene, phoned 999 and went to the driver that crashed through the central res and knocked about 7 lamp posts down. There was still lorries flying through on the limiter and hitting debris in the road, and 2 cars were badly damaged because they hit the lamp units at high speed.

As shown on the program, drivers were not slowing down despite all the flashing lights and matrix signs. Terrible way to go.

As for the bridge strike. . What can I say? 4 points were not enough.

I don’t think it aimed to show truckers in a bad light, I think the drivers featured did a good enough job to do that on their own.

Should be renamed ’ Camp Cops '.Did the BBC purposely ask for the most metrosexual camp cops Yorkshire Police has to offer just to fit in with their left wing, all inclusive, pro diversity agenda.

Im sure one of them was the gay barman out of Corrie.They barely looked out of sixth form in high school.

Used to love watching them two proper take no crap coppers from Thames Valley Police on a cop programme.

I watched it and that mangled MAN makes you realise we are not invincible sat In one of these. And as for going under a 14’6 bridge because the chap was only 3 inches higher well that’s ok then obv not!.
It didnt show the profession in a very good light intentionally or unintentionally the drivers featured didnt help us but if It makes one person slow down for a bridge that may be a little “tight” or to be a little more vigilant when there’s an accident ahead then it’s a good thing it was put on.
Rip to the driver who lost his life I hate to think what it would be like seeing someone’s barn doors approaching me without time to stop, must of been horrible.

For those that missed it, it is repeated on BBC3 tonight at 8pm.

looked like the bottom half of the unit went straight under the trailer, tearing the cab off the mounts then totally crushing the cab between his own trailer and the following vehicles’ back doors. Looked absolutely awful.

Surely there must be some feature that could be added to prevent this from happening in rear end collisions.

jjcymru:
looked like the bottom half of the unit went straight under the trailer, tearing the cab off the mounts then totally crushing the cab between his own trailer and the following vehicles’ back doors. Looked absolutely awful.

Surely there must be some feature that could be added to prevent this from happening in rear end collisions.

There is, it,s called paying attention and leaving a safe distance between you and what ever is in front of you. Just remember the two second/ two arrow rule dont apply to trucks for obvious reasons.

They stopped short of saying the driver fell asleep at the wheel but it seems the most logical conclusion. I would have thought if he had died at the wheel before the crash from medical reasons, it would have been mentioned.
Hopefully someone reads this who often drives tired and it encourages them to stop for 15 minutes.

Shame about the guy who died.

You have to remember that Motorway Cops is a tv show, it is carefully edited for tv also, all of these programs are, they show a few minutes highlights of probably weeks worth of filming, the reality does not always come through but the police side does - just think of the Stobarts prog - will he make it on time? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

jjcymru:

There is…the technology exists

youtube.com/watch?v=ridS396W2BY

I’ve sat in a truck doing this on that track.

GasGas:

jjcymru:
I’ve sat in a truck doing this on that track.

Did you have spare underwear?

Strangely, the most alarming thing is the feeling that the cab is going to tilt forward and hit the road, but it’s actually not as frightening from the inside as it looks from the outside.

The really amazing thing is the way the truck stops in a straight line…it feels perfectly stable.

GasGas:
Strangely, the most alarming thing is the feeling that the cab is going to tilt forward and hit the road, but it’s actually not as frightening from the inside as it looks from the outside.

The really amazing thing is the way the truck stops in a straight line…it feels perfectly stable.

How long before all we have in the cab is an Alsatian and a bloke, the bloke is there to feed the dog and the dog is there to stop you touching the controls.