Last night tonight

Off on me hols tomorrow. Two weeks in Bulgaria, can’t wait really, sun, beer and er Russians. Stay safe out there, and I shall no doubt be posting when I return.

Have a good un’…:slight_smile:

I skiied there 20 years ago would like to go back sometime,tell us all about your hols when you get back.

Great country. Visited there 2 years ago. Friendly locals, great exchange rate, cheap beer (I recommend Zagorka). Would go again this year if hadn’t just bought a house.
If your flying via Bourgas Airport it’s organised chaos at hometime as every flight seems to leave at the same time!

have a goodun, my mrs is off out there on Saturday to see family but I can’t go this year, been a bummer with major fault with the car so only one of us can go, just have to wait till next year and get my 3 weeks out there going to miss it, love the country cheap food and cheap booze :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

With the others, visited around 7yrs ago, bought a house there - well, a shack - that I’m planning to do up to retire over there.

Return every year at least once to check on the house and visit the country.

In May, we landed in Sofia, went to Belgradchik, Pleven, Veliko Turnovo, Plovdiv then back to Sofia.

Loads to see and do - and, as others have said, cheap as chips.

Any driving jobs?

Great 2 weeks, great weather but the hotel food was only ever warm, and as we were all inclusive we weren’t gonna eat out. Pack of 20 lambert and butler, £2.50. Very nearly ended up with a half pint of rum as i didnt tell the barman when to stop pouring. The Russians were drinking beer topped up with fanta, and vodka with beer and fanta…Burrr
Looking to book for next year, but a different hotel.

degsy4wheels:
Great 2 weeks, great weather but the hotel food was only ever warm, and as we were all inclusive we weren’t gonna eat out. Pack of 20 lambert and butler, £2.50. Very nearly ended up with a half pint of rum as i didnt tell the barman when to stop pouring. The Russians were drinking beer topped up with fanta, and vodka with beer and fanta…Burrr
Looking to book for next year, but a different hotel.

It’s soo cheap to eat out, I wouldn’t worry about the fact that you’re all inclusive so don’t want to waste the extra money, it really is pennies.

I don’t really go to the resorts, maybe odd days whilst there, but mostly I’m out in the towns and villages and lesser known places, but quite a posh restaurant will usually work out to around £10 per head for 3 courses including drinks and tips - depending what you drink of course.

I went Portugal all inclusive in Feb, but still ate out most of the time because I go out and don’t want to keep returning for mediocre food when I’m a few miles away and can just go in a restaurant, cafe or bar for some grub and carry on enjoying my adventure.

Bulgaria has a hell of a lot to offer outside the resorts, but inside them you could be anywhere, it’s all the same crap with the same hard sell of tat and the 'best food in … ’ signs.
Get outside and there’s lots of history, lots of castles, fortresses, monasteries, decent coast, cliffs, waterfalls, mountains etc etc etc.

I covered around 2000km in May and visited Sofia (where I fly to), Belogradchik, Pleven, Byala (Ruse) (where my house is - have to check on it), Veliko Turnovo, Plovdiv and back to Sofia, with a few trips out in between ie Magurata Caves and the Shipka monument and Buzludzha monument and other stuff.

I’ve been going at least once and upto 3 times per year for around 6 years and, although I do visit other countries, struggle to find anywhere to match it, I just feel at home there, hence why I bought a house there I guess :unamused:

Here Wayned could you tell us any more about buying property in Bulgaria?I see houses on ebay .Have just toyed with the idea,but you have actually done it.

I went to Bulgaria last year for a lads holiday, never again. Run by Bulgarian gangsters/mafia, we had no end of trouble and speaking to other groups they had the same issues. We had guys in suits walk upto us demanding money for no reason, we later found out they ran the hotel we stayed in too!

I went to ibiza this year instead but some of my friends went to Bulgaria again and nothing had changed, same problems as previous year.

Maybe more advice for the young lads than people wanting to buy a house/family holiday :laughing:

I think it’s as Wayne said. We went to Obzor a couple of years ago. Still had the feel of a small fishing village but it was starting to get a little Skegness-ish with nightclubs etc starting to appear. Not sure what it is like now but was nice and quiet then. Sunny Beach is just like any other resort though.

To be honest, if we do all inclusive, we generally don’t take a lot of cash, although i’m sure one day it will catch us out. Usually just buy duty frees and ciggies, although a lot of the youngsters were going out clubbing every night but don’t think they spent lots but came back very ■■■■■■ at about 6am. It is cheap but as i’ve already paid once for food and drink i don’t really want to be paying again. We were at Golden Sands so the food was more expensive in the restaurants then probably away from the resort. The trips were pricey too.

alamcculloch:
Here Waynedl could you tell us any more about buying property in Bulgaria?I see houses on ebay .Have just toyed with the idea,but you have actually done it.

Not much to be honest, it’s changed now since I bought mine.

When I bought mine, you could buy property but wasn’t allowed to buy land, so you set up a Bulgarian ltd company and bought the land through the company, but you don’t have to do that anymore I believe.

A friend of mine was selling a nice-ish house recently down the south of Bulgaria, he’d done some modernisation, bathroom, kitchen etc and it was around £14k I think, we paid around £7k + fees about 6 or 7 years ago for ours which needs modernising but has a sturdy house, an outbuilding (not so sturdy) and 1/2 acre of land.

Most brits buy a cheap one there 1st, then go over, realise how much it’ll cost to modernise it and then buy 1 that’s already been done lol.