Last minute jobs uhhhh

What a day I was having a nice little lie-in snooze at 830 am when my phone rang uh well i thought better than no work so I answered it :frowning: and my main agent who gives me work said are you busy well I made the mistake of saying No mate lol (never again ) OK can you get to FED EX as soon as poss as they have been let down .i will text you the address ā€¦ so on with my pants and on with the kettle for mi Flask then out of the house in about 10 mins flat 45 mins later i pulled in to the FED EX depot // ā€¦ sat and waited for a truck to be free (so why the rush) then was told loads not sorted so check your notes against the parce;s uhh :unamused: ā€¦was a total nightmare they were on the phone every hour to me mithering how long to the next drop ect ect ā€¦i didnt get out till 10.15am thats 2 hours later than their normal guy ā€¦ :unamused: :unamused:
what the hell do these people want Blood or are they just thick and ignorant ā€¦I have seen loads of adverts for Jobs at Fed-up-ex and never fancied the job (Now i know why) was talking to one of their transit drivers who had 90 drops per day :open_mouth: LOL im glad it wasā€™nt his run or i would have been going home as soon as they gave me the delivery notes :grimacing:

Got to admit, it does ā– ā– ā– ā–  me off when people complain about getting work.

Sam Millar:
Got to admit, it does ā– ā– ā– ā–  me off when people complain about getting work.

Not having a go Sam but you try swapping. 90 drops is a hell of a lot :wink:

i did some fed-ex work for 2 weeks in the vans, i found them to be a bunch of retards with no idea what they driver were doing,

but there was ā€œat the timeā€ a chance of a permanant job so i work my ā– ā– ā– ā–  off! i managed to be what they termed STIG midway through week two, done at least four days out of that managing 160 drops (which i tohugh was ā– ā– ā– ā–  good) NO WONDER TOM HANKS BUGGERED OFF TO THAT ISLAND AWAY FROM FED-EX!!!

i had enough i was knackered in that time & i felt they expcted blood so told my agency to get me somewhere else, i wasā€™nt going back the next day either way!

i feel your pain about that company, i admit i worked in a chrimo rush but its was more than a rush

likeyou say, i was leaving the yard one day, got to the gate phone rang & it was the office asking how far was i from my 2nd drop, i stopped the van jumped out & waved up to the office window LOL how fast do they think i can drive ehā– ā– ?

iā€™m all for supply n demand but you gotta hav enough staff to do it aint-cha!

Sam Millar:

read his post!
heā€™s not complaining about getting work, just that its given in the absolute last minute. iā€™m sure you would too!

oh for sure!!! i just found the whole experiance i had with them was ā€œlast minuteā€ sounds a bit of a contradiction to the type of work in a sence i admit wholeheartedly but,
as i say i put it down to them not gaining any control of the chrimbo rush they had, all the drivers were ā€œon itā€ just the messages relayed from the office were hectic leaving guys not knowing if we were taking extra loads, swapping loads with others for better route planning etc etc & for all the moaning at the time & after
christmas still blummin happened without a hitch should i say partly/mostly down the drivers common sence ā– ā– ?:smiley:

excuse my thread hijack/partial rant!!!

dar1976:

Sam Millar:

Yes but for someone that doesnā€™t have any work, anything is better than nothing lol :stuck_out_tongue:

Well well sam who knows it all already :open_mouth: how old are you sam why not give it a try matey Fed Ex are always lookin for Idiots oh sorry drivers who will accept being pushed to the limit and over their hours by some jumped up ***** (young kid/girl ) sat behind a desk in the office but as you say you would do anything to get a job even Risk a fine and points on your licence would you :angry: because i know i wonā€™t ever For ANYONE :imp:
I can see we have the Arrogant sam back now who once upset more people than I care to mention well sam if thats your attitude at Interviews no wounder you cant get a job ā€¦listen mate Im 54 yrs old had a clean licence since i was 17 and payed more in tax than you will earn in your life ā€¦ so dont be telling me about refusing work I have done my share I Am self employed and that means I pick where and when i work :wink: ā€¦
If you want a job that bad i hear that Elswick are lookin for a village Idiot :smiley: pmsl
Regards Roy

YAMBOL57:
Well well sam who knows it all already :open_mouth: how old are you sam why not give it a try matey Fed Ex are always lookin for Idiots oh sorry drivers who will accept being pushed to the limit and over their hours by some jumped up ***** (young kid/girl ) sat behind a desk in the office but as you say you would do anything to get a job even Risk a fine and points on your licence would you :angry: because i know i wonā€™t ever For ANYONE :imp:
I can see we have the Arrogant sam back now who once upset more people than I care to mention well sam if thats your attitude at Interviews no wounder you cant get a job ā€¦listen mate Im 54 yrs old had a clean licence since i was 17 and payed more in tax than you will earn in your life ā€¦ so dont be telling me about refusing work I have done my share I Am self employed and that means I pick where and when i work :wink: ā€¦
If you want a job that bad i hear that Elswick are lookin for a village Idiot :smiley: pmsl
Regards Roy

No need to get on your high horse Roy :wink: Of course I wouldnā€™t risk points etc on my license for any job, iā€™d genuinely then tell them where to stick it if thatā€™s what they wanted but I canā€™t exactly foresee without you telling me what that specific job is like. Sorry if I offended you but believe me, that was far from me being arrogant :wink: I do agree thought that some of the desk staff know bugger all about the job, and I even had one ask me what a Class 2 was the other week. :unamused:

ok Sam Apology accepted son :slight_smile: I started 2 hrs late on the job and did them the favour by even turning out at last minute like that ā€¦ 1st drop was wrong address as they had moved so ended up with a pallet stuck on the back of the box truck blocking the rest of the pallets in :angry: making it hard to unload the rest of the drops also had to pick up at some drops then back to depot to unload then out again to get the other pickups that i couldnt get on in the the truck on the first trip . ended up 3 minutes over tacho law on my first 4.1/2 hrs then they had the cheek to keep phoning me every hour asking how long to next drop ā€¦so I said i started 2 hrs late and was told to put my foot down by a snotty little girl not even old enough to drive as they expected me to catch the time up which i caught up 1 hr 15 mins and ended up finnishing 45 mins after their driver would have ā€¦I got back in depot at 6.15pm he gets back at 5,30 pm then I threw the keys at the FLT driver said my piece in the office then went home phoned the Agent and told them i dont take work like that :open_mouth: .

Good on you Roy. Stick to your guns mate :slight_smile:

chrikey sounds like fed-ex are the same the way they run things in any of their officesā€™s anywhere in the uk, iā€™m all for taking work when its needed but you have to put your foot down when companys start to take the ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  i think thats why some ā€œdont mindā€ young inexperianced drivers that ā€œneedā€ the money, iā€™m not going to get into a online rant about it all though, it could go on for years LOL :smiley:

Sam Millar:

dar1976:

Sam Millar:

Yes but for someone that doesnā€™t have any work, anything is better than nothing lol :stuck_out_tongue:

Iā€™m with Sam here, and Yambol didnā€™t have 90 drops, that was someone else in a transit van :unamused: I knew a guy who did a lot more drops in a day than that and he only had an electric pickup.
I donā€™t think the OP did himself any favours chucking the keys at the FLT driver then having a go at the staff, itā€™s not their fault he was struggling, what if the agency lose the contract because of his behaviour !! If the job wasnā€™t your cup of tea just donā€™t do it again, after all you accepted the offer of work and got paid for it, you donā€™t have to do it again.
You could have been a little more professional and said goodbye and took it all on the chin. Bet the staff at the office thought ā€œhereā€™s another moaning whiny agency driver we wont be seeing again thank Godā€
You might well have been in the agencyā€™s good book for being available but if FedEx complain you might well be at the bottom of the pile and struggling for work.

I donā€™t see that heā€™s compaining about work,the phone rang he went in.
He rushed in,wagon wasnā€™t ready.

Starts his day two hours late,not his fault and then has the office on the phone giving the hurry up :open_mouth:

work to live not live to work as the old & i think ā€œnearlyā€ forgotton phrase goā€™s!!!

there are times when the ā€œworkingā€ man/woman has to dig heels in when the cough cough workloads expected by companies begin to take the ā– ā– ā– ā– ā€¦

the guy above did the same as any of ā€œusā€ that need work, he got up in a heartbeat itched his bum, put som pants on did the flask & a bit of grub & got in to workā€¦he was expected to make up time that in ā€œeffectā€ was not time lost by him-----
he was actually doing the company the favour doing the job to keep things moving to prevent ovespill the following day
you cant knock that guy!!! simple as that!

maybe iā€™m old head on young shoulders or somthing, i have had it said to me on many occasion & a few folk have took the ā– ā– ā– ā–  when turning up for jobs saying things like ello ere he comes, you alright dibnahā€¦ :smiley:

Yep like i said I Did them the favour and got not one drop of respect for it ā€¦like VW dave says work to live not the reverse .
Just had two great days at at a company in Blackburn ok a bad start at 6.45 am Thursday as when i did my checks there was no fluid in the clutch res then the dash lights were flashing on and off through a fault on the lighter socket ā€¦mechanic didnt come in till 8am then 2nd drop truck starter was dead so phoned in spoke to transport who gave me the mechanics number who siad yea its a fault on the starter the bendix is stuck then he said you dont have to do this :smiley: but would you mind getting under the truck theres a screw driver behind the seat then push the screw driver into the hole on the gear box and see if you can move the flywheel you will hear it clunk then she should start ā€¦ :open_mouth: But Please make sure hand break is on and its in nutral you your safety :slight_smile: now because he asked and showed some respect i did it :wink: and it worked :unamused: ā€¦from then on the job went great :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: they never once phoned me as I was told when you have cleared your drop offs give us a ring and we will give you your pick ups ā€¦ at 2 pm i phoned in and was told ok mate you only have one pick up but its a full load and wont be ready till 3 45 pm its A live load so be carefull on the corners and roundabouts :open_mouth: take your time and see you when you get back ā€¦got back in to depot at 5pm and was asked can you work tomorrow please :smiley: the answer of course was YES ā€¦
Now thats a company worth working for ā€¦ :smiley: ā€¦then to finnish the story when i got home I got a call from the Agent saying Roy we have come to you cap in hand as we know you said never again but will you please do Fed Ex for us tomorrow :open_mouth: we are realy stuck or we wouldnt ask you) i wounder why) the answer was of course NO NO NO anyway i though you knew im back at the Blackburn company Tomorrow as they asked me earlier :laughing: :open_mouth: Oh right thats good he said :wink:
Foxstein :slight_smile: you never know what the job is like till you get there and i have never refused a job before it starts only once when the vehicle was unsafe and I had driven it the day before reported it to the TM was told it would be fixed over night then turned up next day and the truck was not fixed so I phoned the Agent told him they had lied as truck was the same and went Home ( and Got payed ) .
When I say I threw the Keys I was not nasty with the FLT driver i was nice but Firm in the fact that I was not unloading it also i was 3 mins over my tach hrs on the 1st 4,5 hrs but the office did not care just wanted me to run on so i was off home as My Job was done ā€¦ :wink: Im regesterd with 7 agents now mate and have a good reputation with all of them and they all know were they stand and what i will and will not do :slight_smile:
Oh and by the way all my drops and pick ups were compleated before i finnished even though i felt like taking the truck back and telling them where to stick it long before that so i had no reason to stay and unload i started 2 hrs later than their driver would and finnished 45 mins later than he would have so gained 1.1/4 hrs back ā€¦Fed Ex nead to educate their office staff on Drivers Hourse Regs before some one reports them ā€¦ :smiley: