Last Diary

for a while. Hopefully the last one ever although i do like doing them, and you never know :smiley:

All industrial estates should have parking for HGV’s

This is something i read and hear often. And in parts of Milton Keynes they actually have it

Although this sort of behaviour in other parts of the country would be high on the Policing priorities list to stop. I recently pulled into Watling St truckstop for a brekky and had the good fortune to listen to a driver moaning about lack of parking spaces and lack of standards from foreign drivers and this is where he parked…

Yep, there certainley is bad drivers and space wasting drivers about alright, he might need to look a bit closer to home though :smiley:
“Try Something Different” is Sainsburys motto,

and it extends to trying out trucks in lane three on the motorway.

and that seems a complete contradiction of this ban HGV’s from the outside lane malarky, like on the A14 for example where they cause chaos by being in the outside lane. You can clearly see a HGV about a third of a mile in front of me and the queues he is causing, and he’s just in lane one :smiley:

As with everything, information is key, and getting the message across to drivers is paramount. I like this companies take on giving instructions…

I wonder what happens if he didnt do the collection, do they say to him…did you not see the message on the pallet joe?
We’re quite Hi Tech and get all our instructions from a PDA, which to quote the blurb…“saves the driver having to return to base for his next job and therby aids efficiency”, so when i get this on my PDA and i’m collecting from some place out in the sticks on the south coast near Brighton, no one knows anything about it.

I’m concerned because i’m collecting with a flat rack which is 14’9", so this might put me about 20 odd foot high in total. Of course, no one knows anything about it, lets us know…i’ve ideas of Police outriders, helicopters and about a fortnight to get back to liverpool docks :smiley:
I needn’t of worried. It was actually overheight by about 5 inches. WHen i turned up in the farm converted to units i pulled up and put my kettle on and i was approached by what i presume was the owner of the land dressed in a barbour jacket…are you looking for someone?

I was parked with my engine off and kettle on !!! I resisted the temptation to say …no i was passing and it looked like a good place to stop for a cuppa !!! Yeah i’m waiting for [insert name of company] to open up it looks like they’re not here yet, “yes they’re in there just bang on the shutter”.So i does. and in to the unit i go, they’re messing about with a large machine. I say good morning and they bid me good morning back. I say thats a big machine, what does it do? They tell me what it does and then inform me that its getting collected this morning for export, quite who they think i am is beyond me and they continue to tell me all about the machine :smiley:
Its quite complicated to secure big machines on flat beds, it involves chains, straps, chocks and allsorts and needs someone experienced to see to it…

So i leave the experts to it and put the marmalade toast on !! :smiley:

Information may be key but it doesn’t always get through. I was asked to call into Penistone (yeah, i’d heard of it too and coudn’t place it) and get my tracker checked at Trackonix. Whats the problem i asked the gaffer…it keeps going off . So it gets tested.

Now i could of saved all that messing about with meters and the like if they’d just asked me. I know now i have to leave the fuse in all the time :smiley:
I’m already high on the numpty list after popping my front tyre.

I was waiting to collect in Northwich and was waiting on a reference number, so i was told to go wait along side the fence, which i did. I didn;t see these on the floor…

Nothing to do with us, its not our yard says the manager, we just rent the premises. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Turners of Poland, i had to deliver there at 6am the other morning and i turned up on time…

I’m instructed to the chill intake and told that the staff are not in untill 6.30 am, so i go over, wait where i was told to and pop my head in to let anyone who is about know that i’m there, and i’m told again that he bloke i need to see is not in until 6.30, great kettle and toast on again. 6.40 comes and i speak to the guy and he is not expecting my container and suggests i go over the the fresh produce section over the other side of the yard and try there. So i do, and they know nothing but they do eventually open up the container at 7.45 and check whats in it. I had to wait for staff change over again and waved them all off on the happy bus !!!

It turns out i need to go back to the office i was originally at, so i do. There is a woman there now and when i hand her my paperwork (its now about 8.10 am) she tells me i’m late, i should of been here at 6am ! :smiley: I dont even go there, i just say…oh right. :smiley:
I’ve now packed up driving trucks, and its looks like i know no more in my last week of driving than my first :smiley: I’m off to do other things, and just like everyone who leaves driving trucks and goes to another job tells you, and i aint gonna be any different, i’m now working 9am to 3pm and home every night and i’m on 50 grand a year. Its been good fun, dont try to contact me before 8pm in the week though just incase i aint home from work yet !!! :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks, nice read

sounds like turners was a bit of a bugger

Don’t you mean back from the pub lol

Mike C:
Last diary

WTF :open_mouth: . Your diaries are the only thing that make these forums worth reading nowadays. Terrible news. :cry:

Mike-C:
I’m off to do other things, and just like everyone who leaves driving trucks and goes to another job tells you, and i aint gonna be any different, i’m now working 9am to 3pm and home every night and i’m on 50 grand a year.

Well done you Mike. :wink: :wink: You must have got a job as a “binny”, over in Birkenhead :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Bon voyage :laughing: :laughing:

your diaries are always a great read. :wink:

Great diary
Made me fancy marmalade on toast.

Nice diary…didn’t realise you worked for JMD…would’ve kept an eye out at Seaforth!

Good luck with the new job…i have been trying for the last 3 months to find a job away from the trucks.

merc0447:
your diaries are always a great read. :wink:

I agree and will be sadly missed best of luck with your new venture whatever it is

Shame this is your last diary. Always a good read.

Good luck with your future job, although 50k is a little low when compared with an ‘average’ HGV driver…so I’ve read on various driving school posters :smiley: .

Happy hunting.

amusing asever mike - don’t stop doing them! by the way the flatrack job was ours - going to far side of canada it was :wink:

good read as per mike, good luck with your new adventure !!

Usual standard mike, well done mate

It’s just not going to be the same without you and your excellent sense of humour, you’ll be back :wink:

Great read as always Mike, you’ll be back doing diaries soon, I know. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Mike-C:
“Try Something Different” is Sainsburys motto,

and it extends to trying out trucks in lane three on the motorway.

That isn’t motorway so no problem with third lane, I have been known to use that exact lane myself on more than one occasion. :wink: :sunglasses:

Good luck in your new venture Mike

seen your motor today mike, an keith is now the driver of it, once again good luck !