Larger class 2 tippers

I am being asked by an agency to to driver tippers for someone.
Is there anything peculiar to driving tippers to other lorries? I know theyre liable to roll over being top heavy when tipping etc…
Also I take it the large class 2 tippers have 4x4 gears? not too keen on em lol… instructor used to get fed up of me not remembering to flick the switch between high/low ratios.

There a good thread on here for u. Tipper tips or something like that. Search for it.

General rules would be

Thumbs out of the steering wheel off road

Beware uneven ground. 5% gradient will have u over if you act a ■■■■

Beware overhead

Make friends with the shovel driver or he’ll make your life a ball ache

With a 4 over 4 box you’re better off flicking the range change before you come into neutral for your change so a typical 4th to 5th change would go. Flick,clutch,select neutral, select 5th, clutch out gently. I always double on the way down out of habit and I believe it gives a smoother change but that’s up to you

Good Luck

Depending on how old The motor is most new are automatic now a days older ones vary I drove an man which was a 4 over 4 thro the gate for high range really easy :smiley:

one of the easiest things to overlook with tippers is checking between the tyres for bricks and large rocks that get wedged in there when you go off road, more often than not they will be forced up in there when your tyres spins on boggy wet ground, ive been there a number of times. three things you can carry with you to make life easier…a club hammer, a stout metal bar (not a crow bar) more like a 4 or 5 foot wrecking bar and last but not least a length of chain with a grab hook, its better to spend 10 minutes getting that projectile out rather than explain to a copper why you have killed someone with a brick flying thru their screen as they were following behind you

Mr Badger:
one of the easiest things to overlook with tippers is checking between the tyres for bricks and large rocks that get wedged in there when you go off road, more often than not they will be forced up in there when your tyres spins on boggy wet ground, ive been there a number of times. three things you can carry with you to make life easier…a club hammer, a stout metal bar (not a crow bar) more like a 4 or 5 foot wrecking bar and last but not least a length of chain with a grab hook, its better to spend 10 minutes getting that projectile out rather than explain to a copper why you have killed someone with a brick flying thru their screen as they were following behind you

This could start a big argument I know . . . but !

You need to talk with a tyre fitter before you start bashing the hell out of anything lodged between your tyres. The last thing you want is for that tyre to blow when you’re just an arms length away.

Mr Badger:

The Bar Trick’s brilliant !

On my Roll On, I had a Pinch Bar (got out of a scrap bin from Network Rail, I was tipping)
It was about an inch & a quarter thick & 4 ft long, you could place it between the 2 wheels & drive forward a couple of feet & the brick or rock would come out (just had to watch out for the mudguard) Lost count of the number of times I’ve removed debris using that method & saved so many hours/weeks waiting for tyre fitters (done plenty of that too) loosing valuable ‘Drinking’ time.

‘Vikings Tip of the Day’
Don’t try to drink Tea or Coffee when off road, you’ll get in a Right Mess. Lol.

Chas:

Mr Badger:

This could start a big argument I know . . . but !

You need to talk with a tyre fitter before you start bashing the hell out of anything lodged between your tyres. The last thing you want is for that tyre to blow when you’re just an arms length away.

When you start work with a tipper company (who’s sole aim is to keep wheels turning ) and you need to call out a tyre fitter each time you get a brick between your tyres, you will not last long.

In the real world … Improvise, adapt, overcome.

Safety does play a part but you need to assess the situation and not waste time and money or upset ya boss :wink:

martinviking:

I actually can’t wait to try this :smiley:

Chas:

martinviking:

I actually can’t wait to try this :smiley:

Just roll forward very slowly & only a couple of feet at a time, then get out & check (or get some one to help/watch as you roll forward)
Don’t just go ‘Flying’ up the road. :unamused:

& make sure that the bar fits between the wheels, if its too thick (ie scaffold pole) you’ll end up with that stuck instead. :wink:

I’ve even used a hammer to break the stone/brick before now, but be careful of the side wall of the tyre.

Also use wheel spinners if available, put it into 3rd or 4th & really get 'em spinning. Gets most of the mud off & the smaller stones from between the wheels/Drive axle.

Finally, Always check between all the double wheels, all tyres & underneath (I know its a pain in the Arse :unamused: ) when you get off the Haul/■■■■■■■■ roads.
I used to go into Newton Longville Landfill 5 or 6 times a day, when you come out onto the dual carriage way & get up to ‘50’ :unamused: the Fuzz would sometimes pull you into the 1st layby for a Vosa check, that’s where they catch you out with debris between the wheels or rubbish hanging underneath or wire round the prop shaft (knackering the seal) or Filthy mud covered or damaged lights, even paper or other rubbish flying out of the empty/unsheeted trailer or body. (that’s why you put your easy sheet on when empty :exclamation: )

I’ve always said- Road going lorry’s shouldn’t be driving across Landfills, then be expected to drive straight onto the Highways :imp:

Thanks for the Info everyone… I’ll take that onboard!

I have been driving a 7.5 ton tipper for a while, hair raising at first with clearances getting out the yard, but was soon driving confidently…

The agency’s been on the phone, wanting me to move up to the the much larger class 2 tippers… (20 tonner??)but not too confident.
Will I be taking on a bit too much? there were no easy sheets or double wheels to check for debris but will keep a lookout as advised.

Another thing… is the tailgate the same principle as on the 7.5 tonne?
How do you operate the easy sheet mechanism?

coaster:
I have been driving a 7.5 ton tipper for a while, hair raising at first with clearances getting out the yard, but was soon driving confidently…

The agency’s been on the phone, wanting me to move up to the the much larger class 2 tippers… (20 tonner??)but not too confident.
Will I be taking on a bit too much? there were no easy sheets or double wheels to check for debris but will keep a lookout as advised.

Another thing… is the tailgate the same principle as on the 7.5 tonne?
How do you operate the easy sheet mechanism?

Tailgates may differ, some can be opened from the cab, others you have to get out and open, always carry a scraper to clear the tailgate when finished especially when on Tarmac makes it easy to close! Again if in a fairly new wagon, easy sheet can be opened and closed from the cab, if not has to be done by hand, if so, make sure to check the sheet in your daily checks! And go easy on the P.T.O :slight_smile:

thanks for that irishexpat,
I take it I’ll find the 20 tonne? a bit of a challenge when moving up from 7.5?

coaster:
thanks for that irishexpat,
I take it I’ll find the 20 tonne? a bit of a challenge when moving up from 7.5?

Not really, just take your time, and use the space around you wisely, everyone had to start out like yourself

There’s not that much between a puddle jumper and a 6 wheeler. The principles are the same. It’s just the lorry if bigger, as long as you keep that in mind you’ll do well

Tipper Tom:
There’s not that much between a puddle jumper and an 8 wheeler. The principles are the same. It’s just the lorry if bigger, as long as you keep that in mind you’ll do well