Large Roundabounts

Hi,

If your going straight ahead at a large 4 road exit roundabout, which will be the 3rd exit

Do you need to signal going right staying in the left hand side of the roundabout or don’t signal as your on the roundabout, however signal when leaving the roundabout at the correct exit?

Thanks.

What does the Highway Code say for going straight on?
I know and will share the page later…
Off to work now
Paul

Large or small…

When ever I go down the outside lane on the approach (90% of the time), all the trucks on the inside try their hardest to make my life difficult by closing up gaps.

I’ll signal left before I come off.

Some roundabouts have no rules whatsoever, they’re just a freeforallwhodareswinsaffair.

I think common sense prevails. If your signal is going to be ambiguous and not clear show other road users where you are intending to go then it might be best to leave it off until it is clear. If a signal is going to make it obvious then I’d put it in. Yes, reglardless of what the Highway Code says.

No you do not need to signal right, you are following the lane, you only need to signal off the roundabout.

I put on my hazards as I approach the roundabout. It covers all options, and as an added bonus it confuses the cars behind, who tend to hang back.

the nodding donkey:
I put on my hazards as I approach the roundabout. It covers all options, and as an added bonus it confuses the cars behind, who tend to hang back.

Pro-active H&S…

Round of applause.

the nodding donkey:

:open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I’m on my C+E this week and keep getting told off for indicating on a marked lane roundabout as you only need to signal right till your in that marked lane then cancel it till last exit before yours then indicate left
Non marked lane roundabouts R/H signal till exit before yours then L/H

What the hell are signals

malcolmgbell:
What the hell are signals

Idiot alert :unamused:
Indicators for the bell ends

yourhavingalarf:

the nodding donkey:

Pro-active H&S…

Round of applause.

Blimey just for that.I signal left on entry because that’s the way I’m turning the wheel then change it to right as I follow the roundabout around then left again as I exit.Although use of hazards is also recommended at traffic light controlled roundabouts. :smiling_imp:

If the exit you want is beyond the 12 o clock position then signal right on approach

Well said ROG, i always follow that rule ( wish others would ) at least we know when to pull out…lol sad thing is , i am still using the little arms that flick out ( semafore ? )…not everyone notices them… :smiley: :smiley:

If the roundabout has lane markings, the way I understand it is that you follow the lane markings even if the exit straight ahead is after 12 o clock you only indicate off the roundabout. Unmarked lanes then it would be necessary to indicate right. I may be wrong but I am sure I am right.

UKtramp:
If the roundabout has lane markings, the way I understand it is that you follow the lane markings even if the exit straight ahead is after 12 o clock you only indicate off the roundabout. Unmarked lanes then it would be necessary to indicate right. I may be wrong but I am sure I am right.

Well yes you are right or my instructor is wrong as that’s what he’s told me this week during training :wink:

UKtramp:

Correct - if the lane you are in only has one option then no need to signal on approach

CAVEAT - large vehicles that are likely to impede on another lane may need to signal to warn others

Braveheart2009:
Hi,

If your going straight ahead at a large 4 road exit roundabout, which will be the 3rd exit

Do you need to signal going right staying in the left hand side of the roundabout or don’t signal as your on the roundabout, however signal when leaving the roundabout at the correct exit?

Thanks.

There really are no general rules with roundabouts anymore - the highway code deals with only a simple, standard case.

A colleague and I were discussing the subject just last week, concluding that in the case of complex junctions (even with decades of driving experience under our belts) without prior experience of the particular road and junction in question, it is almost impossible to form a view about the correct approach and signalling etc.

Just today, I approached a complex junction I know well and have a clear understanding of its entry and exit routes (it’s a roundabout retrofitted with a cut-through and full-time lights, with three lanes on all routes within the junction).

I approached from an unusual direction, which I probably haven’t done since it was remodelled. I took the correct route (which is probably a benefit of my prior knowledge of the whole setup and keen observation, rather than any abstract principle of roundabouts), but nevertheless someone else swung across me from the right and then exited left before my exit. I really don’t blame that driver though - in the circumstances he took a plausible route, even if it was incorrect, and one really just has to be careful and negotiate with others. Heaven help inexperienced drivers in the same situation.

And I’d like to see an autonomous vehicle manage it! :laughing: