Laptops and the internet?

can someone give me an idea of whats required to get internet on a laptop in the cab? all new to me so can we keep it simple?
cheers
paul

Speak to your service provider as most of them do a data card that fits in the PCMIA slot on the laptop. I have an old Vodafone one that I still use now and again and I have seen similar cards from Orange and T-Mobile. not sure about O2 but I would think they will have one. That is the easiest solution but you can also often just connect you mobile phone, either by a cable or infra red.

Yep virtually all mobile phones are data enabled these days, so chances are you already have one.

You can connect the phone to the laptop, with either Bluetooth, Infra red or cable.

If youre laptop doesnt have Bluetooth or IRDA then you can buy adaptors that go int he USB port for less than £20

Just bear in mind mobile connections arent exactly fast.

Something else that may be of use is WiFi if you’re parked near a bug industrial estate or somthing there is a chance you can connect to someone WiFi net work for free :laughing:

I forgot about Bluetooth :blush: mainly because I haven’t used it to connect to the laptop. :wink:

These days I mostly use WiFi hotspots and only use the vodafone card on rare occasions as it is slooooowwwww.

I’ve got a Vodafone 3G card, cost me £60 to buy outright, then it costs me £25per month for 250mb’s of data transfer. just surfing the net and checking emails uses about 150mb per month, downloading music uses about 6-10mb per song.
For comparison, Broadband runs about 3 times faster than 3G, but if i’m in a area with no 3G, it falls back onto GPRS which is slightly faster than stationary.
Also the card can connect through WLAN/WIFI networks in the right places.

Have just spent the last month or so chasing this up in ireland, here it costs around 200 euro to buy a vodafone card, and about 30 euro a month for 20 mb download. Alternatively by phone connection here it costs 0.02 euro per kb for first 512kb and .005 euro after that, which I think works out very expensive. Whats this WiFi, never heard of this, FREE ■■?

Vodaphone 3g cards are free at the moment with any new laptop with an intel processor. 02 will give you the data card for free when you sign up to there contract.

i’m already on orange contract with a bluetooth phone so is that the best way to go? only really want the internet to receive emails etc, the laptops primarily to run microsoft autoroute on.

I have a laptop in the cab which I connect to my phone via bluetooth, works fine just to get emails etc.

Beats trying to read them on the phone :unamused:

assuming your laptop has a USB port (it will unless it;s ancient!)

you can get a blue tooth adaptor, cheapest place is probably an import from china on ebay, less than £20