Laptop question

I see lots of drivers parked for the night with laptops on the go, question is do you need an inverter to run them or just a 12v lead? Be nice to watch a film whilst parked up :smiley: .

Inverter required, i use a 300 watt 24 volt to 230 volt.

Inverter not required if you have the approrpiate cigarette lighter adapter for your laptop. I’ve ran mine using both methods. Both ways work fine usually, although I did once have a DAF that would blow the cigarette lighter fuse every time I plugged in my cig lighter laptop adapter, worked fine in every other truck though.

I’ve alway used an invertor for mine, 150w is more than enough to run a laptop (12v or 24v doesn’t really matter, it’s personal preference)
I’m currently using a 24v 800w, i can run my xbox and tv for around 3 hours before i need to run the engine, unless i have a landline (240v extension lead) into the cab that is

mjbaron:
I’ve alway used an invertor for mine, 150w is more than enough to run a laptop (12v or 24v doesn’t really matter, it’s personal preference)
I’m currently using a 24v 800w, i can run my xbox and tv for around 3 hours before i need to run the engine, unless i have a landline (240v extension lead) into the cab that is

I’d personally chose the inverter because then you can plug anything else you may have in to it as well. The weird thing is though, in the UK I had a small 300w inverter and it powered my laptop and whatever else fine, never an issue. I’ve had 300w inverters over here for the sole purpose of a laptop and none of them are up to the job, I keep getting the red light flashing and beeping. They will charge the battery with the laptop off, but no operate the laptop. North American ones must just be crap,I dont know.

Maplin sold me a simple transformer for about 20 quid.
Converts 12 vdc into 15-24 vdc adjustable…20vdc required for my laptop.
Low current draw, unlike an inverter. Can go 6-10 hrs without need to run engine.

206doorman:
Low current draw, unlike an inverter. Can go 6-10 hrs without need to run engine.

It cannot be a simple transformer if it’s taking a DC input. A simple transformer can only work on AC - simply because of the way it works (the output voltage is induced in the secondary windings when the magnetic field collapses due to the primary windings passing through 0V).

Actually that’s not true - you would still briefly see a voltage in the secondary windings even with a DC input (a) when you switched it on and (b) when you switched it off. Not that this would be of any practical use at all for powering a laptop.

12v 300 watt inverter. Can plug in the flat lappy, use it whilst it charges fully, then continue on internal battery if required without running the engine.

I use one of these,
ebay.co.uk/itm/24V-LAPTOP-NO … 46086ac574

Roymondo:

206doorman:

It cannot be a simple transformer if it’s taking a DC input. A simple transformer can only work on AC - simply because of the way it works (the output voltage is induced in the secondary windings when the magnetic field collapses due to the primary windings passing through 0V).

Actually that’s not true - you would still briefly see a voltage in the secondary windings even with a DC input (a) when you switched it on and (b) when you switched it off. Not that this would be of any practical use at all for powering a laptop.

My choice of descriptive words may not be technically accurate.
It’s called an " Auto DC Power Regulated Adaptor" Model A73HU.
It appears to simply and easily transform. :smiley:

Got a inverter â– â– â– â–  knows what one was in the truck when I got it
Runs
Laptop
Ps3
Tv
Microwave
iPad

Quite a good thing tbh

I should add, i only run the engine as a precaution, if ive had the xbox on, as it draws quite a lot of power from the battery, laptop/tv no worries at all, 6-8 hours, but we also have DAF battery guards fitted which cut the power out if it gets too low.

bazstan009:
Inverter required, i use a 300 watt 24 volt to 230 volt.

this ^

I plug mine into the hella sockets.

I use a 12v adapter, used to use my inverter until my truck wouldn’t start one morning, never had that with the 12v lead…

Slightly of topic, where does your lap go when you stand up â– â– 

thehairyarsedtrucker:
Slightly of topic, where does your lap go when you stand up â– â– 

On the dash board :unamused: :laughing:

Thats what double sided tape is for!