laptop as a tv?

hi all,
dont know if this as been posted before but im thinking of buying a laptop to use as a freeveiw tv for when im away, questions are, what type of card would you recommend also what invertors do you use? im looking for one that can plug into a 24 volt system as we cab hop weekly, can anyone give me any pointers?..

Just buy a laptop with Windows Media Edtion on it.

microsoft.com/windowsxp/medi … fault.mspx

You will also need a 24 volt dropper.

I use a 24v 300watt inverter to run my laptop, it came with a cig lighter plug, you can also easily pick up an adapter for a hella socket.

If you’re buying new, a laptop with Media Centre edition installed would presumably come with a suitable card fitted/ built in.

Simon:
If you’re buying new, a laptop with Media Centre edition installed would presumably come with a suitable card fitted/ built in.

Nope…Mine didn’t and I couldnt find one for less that £1500 with the TV card built in and all the other things I wanted, so opted for all the other stuff and got a usb tv from Maplins There are usb tv’s from £30, but it is another bit of kit you have to lug around

thanks for your helps guys, got a new laptop has windows media centre on it but no tuner, have seen some usb freeview tuner cards on ebay, anyone recommend one of these?

simon the hela adaptor you are talking about they the ones you can buy single or double type? and are they ok using with a invertor going it a 12/24 volt supply? will be using it in a scania so want to be sure i dont blow laptop up!! :smiley:

wirralpete:
simon the hela adaptor you are talking about they the ones you can buy single or double type? and are they ok using with a inverter going it a 12/24 volt supply? will be using it in a scania so want to be sure i dont blow laptop up!! :smiley:

I’m no I.T. expert, but I have successfully used my laptop as a TV.

I bought a thing called “USB 2.0 DVB-T TV box” from a guy on eBay. It’s a complete kit. It has a software disc, a stick “thingy” to plug in your USB port and an aerial with cable and connector. Plus the usual destructions book!
(The stick “thingy” looks like a largish USB memory stick)

I found that it was completely useless where I live, but that was down to the sinal strangth in my area. I next bought an aerial- you’ll need to get something like an indoor type aerial. Again, eBay had something to fit the bill. I bought an aerial with “gain” to help with the signal strength. That works very well, but you’re still at the mercy of signal strength in the area where you park-up.

I also found that I needed a short bit of cable to convert from a standard TV aerial plug (on the new aerial) to the tiny aerial socket on the thingy you plug into your USB port.

I don’t do much driving these days, so I use it when I’m away teaching. The point is that a standard telly in a B&B can be boring. I mention that, because I’m mains powered for the laptop in that situation. You’d obviously need some sort of inverter like the other guys have told you.

I apologise for my lack of technical expertise- I’ve tried to help by saying what worked for me.

many thanks for the information dieseldave, i have a freview tv at the moment and now days its not too bad picking up a signal got the laptop mainly to watch tv and dvd but also hoping to get in touch with friends in iraq while im on the road. but thats something else i will sort out tv comes first :laughing:

wirralpete:
many thanks for the information dieseldave, i have a freview tv at the moment and now days its not too bad picking up a signal got the laptop mainly to watch tv and dvd but also hoping to get in touch with friends in iraq while im on the road. but thats something else i will sort out tv comes first :laughing:

Cheers mate! I hope it works for ya

dave i se your based in elesmere port, im only down the road in oxton work out of e/port for hoyers tho. your advice has been well reiceved and hopefuly come pay day will finally get it set up :slight_smile:

wirralpete:
dave i se your based in elesmere port, im only down the road in oxton work out of e/port for hoyers tho. your advice has been well reiceved and hopefuly come pay day will finally get it set up :slight_smile:

Cheers for that wirralpete. Watch for my PM tomorrow.

wirralpete:
simon the hela adaptor you are talking about they the ones you can buy single or double type? and are they ok using with a invertor going it a 12/24 volt supply? will be using it in a scania so want to be sure i dont blow laptop up!! :smiley:

Those are the things pete. It’s just a Hella plug wired in to one or two cig’ lighter sockets. Unless they’ve been made by a complete idiot there isn’t anything to go wrong with them.
It’s always better to know that the Hella socket (in your truck) has been wired up the right way round and if it’s 12 or 24 volt. Drivers have been known to change things around to suit their gear and get it wrong. Get the adapter then get everything checked at the same time, it’s a 30 second job with a simple multi-meter. Any CB place will probably do it for free if your a known customer. I wouldn’t just plug everything in and hope for the best.
I used a single adapter for the 24v inverter for my laptop for a couple of years with no problems in a MAN.