Language barrier

i`m thinking of doing some international driving and was wondering what is the best language to learn to “get by” and any courses you could advise me to take would be appreciated…cheers :smiley:

The BBC do very good lessons on the website!!
and the cost is even better!!! nothing! :laughing:

take a look
bbc.co.uk/languages/

thanks for that TC thats a good link.i`m going to learn german now see ya :laughing:

German is a good choice, covers you for three countries that way, bit of French can be useful too. You’ll pick up bits from where ever you go and the important bits are understanding directions (left, rght, straight on etc.), ordering food and drink, how to ask for a shower and how to be polite, that covers most situations.

Agree with Neil the basics and the ability to greet some one and to say thanks always gets me through along with hand signals etc. LOL :laughing:

thanks for that neil and sprinter,ill start with the directions and work my way up...your to blame by the way neil,for the sudden pang of wanting to get over seas...lol i enjoyed reading your threads of your travels and im looking forward to the next instalation :wink:

Avez Vous die Schlussel oder le cle pour la duche? por favor .

une petit bierre vom fas alst ur blijft, bitte

Is peferable to Eyup you frog, more beer!

The answer is, Be polite, they will help you.

Most french drivers speak german, most german drivers speak french, most british drivers speak ■■■■■■■■

Err … whatever … :question: :question: :question: :confused:

Most British drivers only speak their native tongue because the foreigners make too easy for them :smiley: it doesn´t matter where you go there is nearly always someone who speaks at least a little bit of English.
The Dutch for example are masters and nearly all speak at least 3 languages why ? are they more intelligent ? the answer is no it is just that as nobody apart from the Dutch a couple of Belgians and the South Africans speak their language then they have had to learn foreign languages in order to be able to communicate with anyone.

the other european countries have thought languages for years.i am from ireland,but as the same as the uk,when i went to school,i was thought latin,i know its a basis,but,no use in rotterdam or milan for that matter.i was never offered the chance in school to learn another language,these dutch sweeds are better than the english speakers,in spain and italy,alright they find english hard.but they are now doing it from a young age,i think in the uk and ireland,they are getting the kids into it ,about time though.
i can have a try in a few languages now,but that after 25 yrs out in every country in europe.it was"nt easy.

greg50:
the other european countries have thought languages for years.i am from ireland,but as the same as the uk,when i went to school,i was thought latin,i know its a basis,but,no use in rotterdam or milan for that matter.i was never offered the chance in school to learn another language,these dutch sweeds are better than the english speakers,in spain and italy,alright they find english hard.but they are now doing it from a young age,i think in the uk and ireland,they are getting the kids into it ,about time though.
i can have a try in a few languages now,but that after 25 yrs out in every country in europe.it was"nt easy.

From your post, it seems you haven’t quite mastered simple English grammar yet.

your probably more concerned about my grammar than me.you must have little to worry about.
imagine coming on a truck drivers forum. and coming out with such a stupid statment,
your statment has nothing whatsoever to do with the topic,so why dont you go and hide your head,you sad person.

alex.
i had a look through some of your previous posts,
people in glasshouses should"nt throw stones.
when your own grammar is perfect come back to me.[zb]

Edited for personal attack, please abide by the rules of the forums that you agreed to on joining. Coffeeholic

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :smiley: