Lane Discipline

While driving from Newhaven to Yorkshire last night a couple of things made me think.
On 3 occasions the overhead matrix showed up lanes 1,2 and 3 should move over to lane 4;on 1 occasion lanes 1,2 and 3 showed as a red "X yet on every occasion despite covering 2 or 3 miles on each occasion there was no reason for this.On a separate occasion the old style yellow board indicated the same without any apparent reason.This over about 20 to 25 miles of M25.
Why do so many cars only use lanes 3 and 4 of a motorway?Why also do most lane 4 hoggers (usually 4x4 vehicles)drive at 60 to 65 mph?
Why do numerous car drivers seem incapable of driving at the same speed for more than 200 yards at a time?
Just wondered.

Simple …because it ain’t policed anymore :bulb: so the result is a complete cluster ■■■■ of a free for all …pick a lane, any lane.

There was talk of a clampdown on lane hogging about 5 yrs ago, but nothing materialised, amazing is that knowing the Police, when you think of the amount of revenue they could potentially make out of it.
Worst UK Mway for that I have found is the M8 in Glasgow.

M62 for me I think has to be the worst, just seem to be in a world of there own.

I think every motorway is as bad as the next.
All are plagued with lane swoppers, usually tradesmen in vans, while more than a fair share of other lorries are convinced that cruising lane two is the right and proper way to travel. I shall include Scaffolder’s trucks firmly in the first two categories.
Mr Company Reptile in his Audi/BMW just does not leave the far outside lane unless its time to cut across 2/3 lanes of traffic a scant 100 yards from the exit they want, oblivious to all and sundry.
Throw into the mix a smattering of Supermarket vehicles flat out at 50mph that everyone is trying not to run into the back of, Asian owned private hire vehicles, usually a Prius flitting between lanes and at varying speeds while they are on the phone for their next fare and the rest of us just trying to make their next drop/ferry/reload or a Friday night steak and Voila! we have the average British Motorway.
What we need is someone to tell us all how to drive properly
Someone with above average driving skills
someone who…oh, never mind…

Seems to me that the more expensive the car, the worse their manners on the road. Almost as if they’re entitled to drive like pillock.

Twoninety88:
I think every motorway is as bad as the next.
All are plagued with lane swoppers, usually tradesmen in vans, while more than a fair share of other lorries are convinced that cruising lane two is the right and proper way to travel. I shall include Scaffolder’s trucks firmly in the first two categories.
Mr Company Reptile in his Audi/BMW just does not leave the far outside lane unless its time to cut across 2/3 lanes of traffic a scant 100 yards from the exit they want, oblivious to all and sundry.
Throw into the mix a smattering of Supermarket vehicles flat out at 50mph that everyone is trying not to run into the back of, Asian owned private hire vehicles, usually a Prius flitting between lanes and at varying speeds while they are on the phone for their next fare and the rest of us just trying to make their next drop/ferry/reload or a Friday night steak and Voila! we have the average British Motorway.
What we need is someone to tell us all how to drive properly
Someone with above average driving skills
someone who…oh, never mind…

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Yerp, this.

I don’t do many motorway miles, mebbe 40 a week, all on the M4, 20 miles out 20 back. 50 mph restriction and Mr average car driver must be thinking "I’ll be a better, and safer, driver if I only do 45-48.
T**t.