Lane 1 positioning

Hi to anyone reading. I just have a question on motorway driving .
I see a lot of HGV’s driving more over to the left of lane 1 and not central in lane and looking at the deep ruts it seems this is common but not always the case.
In lane 2 trucks adapt a more centralised lane position as vehicles pass either side but adapt a more over to the left position in lane 1.
Is this purely to give as wide a space to other HGV’s passing in lane 2?

Thanks for any feedback I just want to be situated in lane correctly when I have to motorway drive.

I’m interested to hear other answers as well, but I think it’s just maximising safety. I see trucks drifting out of their lane a lot. The majority of times it’s to the left into the empty hard shoulder, very rarely to the right into the possibly occupied lane 2.

The state of the bloody road surfaces you’ll find me checking the undulations and pot holes as far as i can see ahead and trying to avoid the worst.
Which means invariably i’ll be keeping to the left of the inside lane just inside the white lines, slightly to the left of the main traffic wear and hopefully avoiding the worse of the surface damage, sometimes just running the left wheels on the white line allows you to straddle the holes, if you run down the middle of the lane in the ruts you’ll hit every hole there is, tend to cover the same routes regularly so know most of the bad sections.

Its not just trucks that are wide now, cars and SUVs are now bloated horrid looking things (vastly overpriced tat too) that many drivers can’t cope with, and with no more room inside despite being half as wide again as the previous decades of equivalent vehicles, they take up so much room wandering from side to side in their outside cruising lane that the trucks now keep further to the left on 1st and 2nd lane to accommodate.