Ladders

First time for everything and today was no different… parked up on an industrial estate to collecting something for home, when I observed this lorry being loadings both curtains, A framed ladder at the side of his trailer…so I thought wait and see what happens… once his pallets where in suite. He proceed to climb onto the edge of his trailer to throw over the straps…not holding on to anything

Whilst it might seem a unique was of doing something, isn’t the risk greater of falling, could have lost his footing or slipped at any stage especially if it was wet under foot…
Now I did see something similar years ago, the guy had a couple of ropes with knots from the centre rail… which he use to climb up into his trailer… I reckon he was ex military the way a watch him climb that rope

So my question is anyone else do you use ladders for strapping and unstrapping or do you just climb onto your trailer using the cattle/ side bars…

ChunkyChunk:
First time for everything and today was no different… parked up on an industrial estate to collecting something for home, when I observed this lorry being loadings both curtains, A framed ladder at the side of his trailer…so I thought wait and see what happens… once his pallets where in suite. He proceed to climb onto the edge of his trailer to throw over the straps…not holding on to anything

Whilst it might seem a unique was of doing something, isn’t the risk greater of falling, could have lost his footing or slipped at any stage especially if it was wet under foot…
Now I did see something similar years ago, the guy had a couple of ropes with knots from the centre rail… which he use to climb up into his trailer… I reckon he was ex military the way a watch him climb that rope

So my question is anyone else do you use ladders for strapping and unstrapping or do you just climb onto your trailer using the cattle/ side bars…

You’ll see quite a few with ladders on the rear of the cabs, years ago I carried a cut down old wooden one I acquired from a well known scaffolding company made life so much easier and safer ,

Yep i use them…Have them on the back of the cab…Even more essential now everything has to be strapped…Some loads we pick up leave a to small a gap to throw a strap over from ground level

ChunkyChunk:

Hi ChunkyChunk,

Ladders being carried for a driver’s use aren’t a new thing, cos we carried and used them back in the 80s for stripping and rebuilding tilts.

I’ve still got mine, but these days it only gets used for painting and decorating at home.

Years ago at Wickes we used to collect ladders from Youngmans at Slinfold, they used to load them right to the roof. We had to throw the internal straps up onto the roof then when loaded the forkie would lift us up to the roof so we could pull them down. One driver couldn’t be bothered one day so left them un strapped. He opened the curtains back at Nether Heyford, and the ladders had not moved an inch.

We all had one each at our company (on back of cab) until about 3 years ago when it was decided they had to be removed on 'elf n safety grounds :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

I use a small aluminum ladder every day if I’ve A-frames of glass at front of trailer.
There’s no way to get to them from rear doors if you’ve a pile of PVC window frames/doors at rear.
An H&S person would have a fit if they seen the Camden Group drivers clambering about the sides of taunt trailers with A-frames onboard!!!

The last artic I drove over here had the knotted rope right at the arse end of the trailer. Our trailer wheels are right at the back so it was nice and easy to get up.

I use the trailer under run bars and whatever is on the trailer to use as a hand hold :open_mouth:
I once jumped up onto a trailer with nothing loaded and another driver said I won’t be able to do that in another few years :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :open_mouth:

Transport company in court after drivers death

http://press.hse.gov.uk/2015/transport-company-in-court-over-drivers-death/?eban=govdel-workplace-transport&cr=21-Aug-2015

Watch out for those unsecured ladders :wink:

^^^
I just wonder whether the driver’s family received more insurance compensation than the transport company had to pay out to the professional trough snufflers who have helped themselves as a result of this sad event?

cav551:
^^^
I just wonder whether the driver’s family received more insurance compensation than the transport company had to pay out to the professional trough snufflers who have helped themselves as a result of this sad event?

Unfortunately fines and legal fees are separate to any liability claim - but the guilty verdict and high fines would help boost any compensation claim.

But why should a family receive compensation when the bloke climbed the ladder without securing it? He effectively killed himself.