Lack of Side Under-Run Bars (usa video)

uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Cmw0HIKgH … re=related :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

interesting vid that.
i wonder how many lives would be saved per year, in the us, if their trailers, had too have similar side guards too our own■■?

also, is that, THE, brandon bloch■■?

seen it b4

Interesting video and i think the idea of side guards is a good one but what Mr. Bloch fails to understand is that if we here in N.A. put those side guards on our trailers it would render our sliding tandems useless. It would become impossible for us to properly distribute the weight amongst our axles. Of course there are ways around using sliding tandems (add more axles, decrease the max weight etc.) but i honestly don’t see that happening as it would no doubt require numerous lengthy and expensive govt studies. :unamused: However, i believe side guards should be mandatory for the many types of trailers that don’t use the sliding tandem system.

I have seen some companies starting to put “side skirts” (as we call them) on their trailers but they offer no protection for four wheelers and are only plastic panels used to try and improve airflow around the tandems.

Btw, long time lurker, first time poster. I enjoy reading about the issues facing fellow truckers across the pond and elsewhere.

it would be technicaly more difficult to fit side guards if you had sliding bogie
but not impossisble

knowing how slow North america is to adopt new truck technology surely
the fitting to new trailers should be mandtory

eventually all trailers would be done

or retrofit when trailers are up for annual test (MOT over here) if you do such things

and then think of the aero dynamics and fuel saving
forgot that line above cos you get your diesel free with Coco Pops