Kölner Ring. Major havoc alert!

During an inspection earlier today, major structural damage was discovered on the Rhine bridge on the A1 on the Kölner Ring.

The damage is deemed to be so severe that an immediate ban has been implemented for all vehicles over 3.5t in both directions between Kreuz Leverkusen and Köln Niehl for the foreseeable future.

This is going to cause chaos in the area, with all traffic over 3.5t having to divert via the A3 and A4.

Expect long delays or avoid the area entirely until further notice.

The location of the bridge is marked “A” HERE

My first thought was, Oh [ZB].
Then I had a look at your map, n went phew.
We do a regular drop in that area, but I usually join the A1 just after the Rhine Bridge heading for the A3 :smiley:

Sticky status methinks Simon, as this is going to drag on for a while.

(Oh, and knock that A40 sticky into the long grass :wink: )

HERE is a random report for those who wish to practice their German…

bloody hell came out of Köln yesterday wonder if I went over it ha ha ha empty though at 16 ton

Emergency repairs are now underway with a view to reopening the bridge to +3.5t in March 2013.
A completely new bridge is at the planning stage to open in 2020.

In the meantime, avoid trying to approach the bridge along the A1 as the queues are horrendous.

I came down from Dortmund mid morning last Monday and was stuck for an hour between Burscheid and Leverkusener Kreuz, where the traffic is being routed out onto the A3 (not a peep from the radio traffic bint :imp: ) and it is allegedly the same in the other direction.

If coming from Dortmund, leave the A1 at Wuppertal Nord and take the A46 in the direction of Düsseldorf down to Kreuz Hilden and then pick up the A3 towards Köln.

Well, slap my Lederhosen, the situation has just got worse.

The bridge on the A3 (Oberhausen - Frankfurt) in the Leverkusener Kreuz where it crosses over the A1 is now deemed to be unsafe and is in need of immediate repair (marked “A” on THIS MAP)

Lane widths are to be reduced, a 60km speed limit will be in place and also an overtaking ban for trucks.

The repairs will take between 3 to 6 months.

Needless to say, huge traffic jams are being forecast to add to those already being caused by the ongoing works on the Rheinbrücke a few clicks down the A1.

Avoid the area like the plague until further notice.

Vorsprung durch Technik, my arse…

Report (in German) here: www1.wdr.de/themen/politik/autob … en100.html

Running down the A3 an hour or so ago, I saw the weight limit signs for the Rhine Bridge were crossed out with those official cross boards they use over here.
No hold-ups, other than slowing down for that bridge at the Leverkusen Kreuz either.
What it would be like a few hours earlier,in rush hours, I dunno.

Aye Simon, the Rhine bridge on the A1 has been provisionally patched up and is now good to go for all vehicles up to 44t.
However, the carriageway is down to 2 lanes in each direction with a 60k limit in force. At peak times the queues are averaging 10kms in each direction according to the traffic news.

On the A3 the queues approaching the Leverkusener Kreuz appear to be worse when approaching from the Frankfurt direction. During peak times the jam goes right back to Dreieck Heumar.
From the north, ie coming down from Oberhausen, the traffic bint is usually only reporting a couple of clicks during rush hour.

Any update latest on this route?

Next week I will drive from Eupen (Belgium) near Aachen to Berlin via A4 Aachen, A1 Leverkusen (Kolner King) lead to A1 North route on Thursday Morning? Is that okay or no no? :confused:

Cheers

Still a bit of a pain during rush hour, so best avoided between 7 and 9am.

Traffic news on WDR 2 (100.8 in the Aachen area)

Inselaffe:
Still a bit of a pain during rush hour, so best avoided between 7 and 9am.

Traffic news on WDR 2 (100.8 in the Aachen area)

Ach right thanks for info cheers

I am learning quickly that ALL German roadworks are an absolute and utter nightmare and have already made me miss a ferry . Efficient ( sp … its late and i have lager )my arse :astonished:

Inselaffe:
During an inspection earlier today, major structural damage was discovered on the Rhine bridge on the A1 on the Kölner Ring.

The damage is deemed to be so severe that an immediate ban has been implemented for all vehicles over 3.5t in both directions between Kreuz Leverkusen and Köln Niehl for the foreseeable future.

This is going to cause chaos in the area, with all traffic over 3.5t having to divert via the A3 and A4.

Expect long delays or avoid the area entirely until further notice.

The location of the bridge is marked “A” HERE

As of this morning (Monday) the bridge is closed again in both directions to all traffic over 3.5t for the foreseeable future. New structural damage has been found. Diversion via the A3 and A4. Enjoy.

Weight sensitive cameras have now been installed on the bridge. A picture costs 150€. You have been warned :wink:

To update …

This weight limit is STILL in force

…and will be for some considerable time.

Trouble is, after the restrictions were lifted the first time, the welding repairs were quickly shaken apart by the renewed load of heavy traffic, hence the reintroduction of the ban.

Plan now is to screw the bloody bridge back together. However, it is doubtful if the bridge will ever reopen to heavy traffic.

Not to worry though. A new all singing, all dancing 10 lane bridge is due for completion in 2023 :unamused:

In the meantime. the whole of the ring road around Köln, with the possible exception of the A4 along the southern side (which would be used by Brits travelling Aachen to Frankfurt), is a total basket case, especially at peak times, with 10km+ queues being the norm.

Inselaffe:
…and will be for some considerable time.

Trouble is, after the restrictions were lifted the first time, the welding repairs were quickly shaken apart by the renewed load of heavy traffic, hence the reintroduction of the ban.

Plan now is to screw the bloody bridge back together. However, it is doubtful if the bridge will ever reopen to heavy traffic.

Not to worry though. A new all singing, all dancing 10 lane bridge is due for completion in 2023 :unamused:

In the meantime. the whole of the ring road around Köln, with the possible exception of the A4 along the southern side (which would be used by Brits travelling Aachen to Frankfurt), is a total basket case, especially at peak times, with 10km+ queues being the norm.

Brilliant news :unamused:

I got caught in this yesterday :slight_smile: I had to get from Koln Neihl to Rath. I went across the Rhine on the A4 bridge then down the A59 onto the A3 - I think :confused: Anyway I didn’t see any weight restrictions signs on that route so I’m hoping I got it right!

m4rky:
I got caught in this yesterday :slight_smile: I had to get from Koln Neihl to Rath. I went across the Rhine on the A4 bridge then down the A59 onto the A3 - I think :confused: Anyway I didn’t see any weight restrictions signs on that route so I’m hoping I got it right!

Yes, you got it right.
The closed to LGVs bridge is on the A1, around the North side of Koln.

Work has now started on the A3 between Köln Mülheim and Leverkusen Zentrum to widen the carriageway to 4 lanes. So expect longer than usual queues at peak times. Northbound queues are regularly back as far as Heumar.

Oh, and there’s a new sport on the Leverkusener bridge (the knackered one) on the A1:

Simply ignore all the warning signs under the premise of “no understandy ze lingo” and proceed until you see the cameras about to snap you for being overweight.

At this point stop and REVERSE down the Autobahn to the last exit and try to skedaddle before the Polizei turfs up.

www1.wdr.de/themen/aktuell/lkw-f … e-100.html