Know your place Victorian style

Think it’s a bit of an issue with society in general. The expectation is that you should go to university and get a job off if that.

So all the non degree based jobs are now looked down upon. Somewhere along the line it stopped being acceptable to earn a living from a trade. And if you do then it must be because you’re not smart enough to have a degree.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

IronEddie:
Think it’s a bit of an issue with society in general. The expectation is that you should go to university and get a job off if that.

So all the non degree based jobs are now looked down upon. Somewhere along the line it stopped being acceptable to earn a living from a trade. And if you do then it must be because you’re not smart enough to have a degree.

most graduates who have 2.2/ 2.1 masters this and that haven’t got a JOB! :unamused: neither common sense, nor what REAL life is. :grimacing:

To be honest though knowing how some truck drivers behave I can’t say I blame them. The biggest problem is the cap ones are memorable and the good ones forgotten leaving the impression that truck drivers are as rough as an old beagles testicle

IronEddie:

Degrees used to be for the best and brightest (and richest). Now they’ve been dumbed down so everyone can get one, they’ve become worthless.

switchlogic:
To be honest though knowing how some truck drivers behave I can’t say I blame them. The biggest problem is the cap ones are memorable and the good ones forgotten leaving the impression that truck drivers are as rough as an old beagles testicle

Sadly that’s the truth, we have an image problem due to the idiots who live up to the media stereotype of a truck driver.

Personally I’ve never had a problem with telling people I drove lorries for a living, even in my general haulage days, if people are so narrowed minded as to judge somebody purely on their occupation that’s their problem.

Winseer:
“Women - Know your Limits”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w&list=PLZT6TWhW90XQEGeXk7oKCPK3wa6B7PEw6

LOL

chloe8.jpg

what made him special then,he’s just a desk jockey,nothing great,had exactly the same from a receptionist getting all snotty,i explained why I was in reception as that was the logical place to ask if you were unsure of their delivery entrance,after I explained I then said,oh by the way don’t look your nose down at me cos you are just a telephone answering service in human form,you ain’t nothing special lady,if looks could kill I would have been a goner,shut her up though

Captain Caveman 76:

IronEddie:

Degrees used to be for the best and brightest (and richest). Now they’ve been dumbed down so everyone can get one, they’ve become worthless.

Nah. dumb degrees used to only be for the richest. You don’t see any royals with engineering, law, and medical degrees do ya?
Now it’s those same dumb degrees - that are for everyone.

Such degrees were always worthless… But if you’re the longest term umemployed person in the country but heir to the throne - that don’t matter - right?

It’s of more concern that people with the “Good” degrees - double firsts in Engineering - are being flooded out by very able Hispanic engineers, of which there is a glut.
Double firsts in Law? - They all seem to be working for the court of human rights, or defending the undefendable, such as terrorists. It’s a shame we can’t get more of the top ones working and representing OUR interests like Workers Rights to pay rises in line with profits, Getting Brexit completed, or laws to prevent corporations from generally taking the ■■■■ - instead of representing Terrorists, people who want ■■■ changes on the NHS, and illegal immigrants who claim to be running away from a harsh regime they cannot possibly go back to, and yet won’t renounce that same “Religion” of.
Then there’s the Medical graduates… You only have to walk into any NHS hospital these days to see where THAT has left us. Go to a BUPA one though - and it’s a different story. There’s still hope then for British Medical graduates - in the private health sector. The gap has clearly become too wide for ordinary people to cross. We cannot blame our brightest and best medical graduates for steering well clear of the statistical death camps that NHS hospitals have become. The NHS doesn’t and never needed “More Money” - it’s been getting progressively more money for decades now. It needs the entire staff base turned over, and the administration ranks in particular - hollowed out. There’ll be plenty of new jobs there once this is done of course… Bring back matron, and stop wiping bed tables down with the same cloth used to wipe the sluice with for starters!
We didn’t have MRSA until the current shower cultured it up all by themselves!

I agree that some degrees are either a soft option to simply get a degree with very little in the way of career opportunities afterwards, but there are still degrees that are either a good career move or essential to enter your career choice. The medical degrees that you have given as an example, the NHS is still a good employer as far as a Dr is concerned, The majority of consultants that work in BUPA or the private sector are actually employed by the NHS. You just cut out the waiting list with the private sector, the doctors are actually the very same people. Regardless to this fact the point you make with the “good degrees” is correct. I hold a degree and was University educated and I drive a truck, it all depends on whether or not you are willing to make a career choice that does not require a degree even though you possess one. It may seem pointless to some and makes perfect sense to others. I realise that you only live once and if driving a truck is more appealing to me then that is my choice. Holding a degree does give you more options whereas simply holding a licence doesn’t. However which ever makes you happy is the most important factor, I do the same job as someone who does not have a degree. It boils down to choice, some doctors btw choose not to work in private medicine on the grounds of morality. Choice is a great thing.

Unfortunately most people outside of the transport industry, and unforgivably some within it, have a view of drivers that is largely fueled by what they read/see in the media.

One thing I have learnt over the years, is that there are some very intelligent people, some who have held what would be considered “high powered” jobs in the past, that drive trucks because they enjoy it. There are many reasons why drivers, who would be more than capable of working in “management” jobs, choose to be drivers.

After 2 yrs off the road, I have come to the realisation that, whilst I do enjoy office hours, I’m not actually suited for an office environment. I am far too honest and outspoken, also, apparently, expecting others to be competent at their job and challenging their mistakes is seen as not working with the team. Apparently I am expected to cover up other departments mistakes even if it means that the customer gets a raw deal or my own department gets the blame!

It seems that the modern transport office, in the biggest logistics company in the world, is a place where you cannot be “forthright” or “direct” with people…actually have a briefing document which tells us that “banter” is not acceptable in the workplace! We are not even allowed to have hot drinks in the office! A transport office with no tea!

UKtramp:
I agree that some degrees are either a soft option to simply get a degree with very little in the way of career opportunities afterwards, but there are still degrees that are either a good career move or essential to enter your career choice. The medical degrees that you have given as an example, the NHS is still a good employer as far as a Dr is concerned, The majority of consultants that work in BUPA or the private sector are actually employed by the NHS. You just cut out the waiting list with the private sector, the doctors are actually the very same people. Regardless to this fact the point you make with the “good degrees” is correct. I hold a degree and was University educated and I drive a truck, it all depends on whether or not you are willing to make a career choice that does not require a degree even though you possess one. It may seem pointless to some and makes perfect sense to others. I realize that you only live once and if driving a truck is more appealing to me then that is my choice. Holding a degree does give you more options whereas simply holding a licence doesn’t. However which ever makes you happy is the most important factor, I do the same job as someone who does not have a degree. It boils down to choice, some doctors btw choose not to work in private medicine on the grounds of morality. Choice is a great thing.

Interesting thoughts there. My mind boggles at those doctors who do work for both sides as you put it. Especially the “Morality” angle of doing thus!
I suspect that it might be very easy indeed for a doctor to get employed by the NHS - but once working there, soon realize that the money and the better working conditions are to be had elsewhere. That private money though - might not be regular. If it were, then surely more doctors would quit their NHS roles outright, and become private healthcare professionals that are never seen again by the general public…

DonutUK:
Unfortunately most people outside of the transport industry, and unforgivably some within it, have a view of drivers that is largely fueled by what they read/see in the media.

One thing I have learnt over the years, is that there are some very intelligent people, some who have held what would be considered “high powered” jobs in the past, that drive trucks because they enjoy it. There are many reasons why drivers, who would be more than capable of working in “management” jobs, choose to be drivers.

After 2 yrs off the road, I have come to the realisation that, whilst I do enjoy office hours, I’m not actually suited for an office environment. I am far too honest and outspoken, also, apparently, expecting others to be competent at their job and challenging their mistakes is seen as not working with the team. Apparently I am expected to cover up other departments mistakes even if it means that the customer gets a raw deal or my own department gets the blame!

It seems that the modern transport office, in the biggest logistics company in the world, is a place where you cannot be “forthright” or “direct” with people…actually have a briefing document which tells us that “banter” is not acceptable in the workplace! We are not even allowed to have hot drinks in the office! A transport office with no tea!

Despite lack of “Banter” - the grapevine is alive and well! All these “Private and Confidential” meetings soon turn into rumors about the place… SO and so got sacked for such and such reason. I wonder who’s doing the blabbing? Getting around “No hot drinks” though is easier still: The vending machine’s lights and heater don’t work. You can have as many cold cups of tea and coffee as you like. :stuck_out_tongue: Just keep the boss away from seeing it on your desk!

Winseer:
Interesting thoughts there. My mind boggles at those doctors who do work for both sides as you put it. Especially the “Morality” angle of doing thus!
I suspect that it might be very easy indeed for a doctor to get employed by the NHS - but once working there, soon realize that the money and the better working conditions are to be had elsewhere. That private money though - might not be regular. If it were, then surely more doctors would quit their NHS roles outright, and become private healthcare professionals that are never seen again by the general public…

Bupa and the private sector don’t have critical care or A&E consultants, these are only covered by the NHS. The other consultants work part time for the private sector can get there pocket money from these roles, although when I say pocket money, to you and I we could retire on it!! but certain doctors do work full time in private medicine, even NHS surgeons work for the private sector part time. A doctor to qualify has to have a certain amount of clinical experience gained through the NHS. Once qualified and experienced it is like driving, the job market opens up.

UKtramp:
There is a definite class problem being a driver, its not just using a staff toilet it is the job in general. We are classed as filthy animals regardless of who you are. Step into a truck and you are stripped of all dignity to others. Those from Hull will know the area I live, it is classed as a very high profile area of Hull, even my neighbors look shocked when my wife tells them I am a driver. There is a stigma attached to driving for a living.

Now I know you are a troll. There are no nice/high profile areas of Hull :smiley: :smiley:

Castillidie:
Now I know you are a troll. There are no nice/high profile areas of Hull :smiley: :smiley:

Really, then you do not know Hull. I live on the outskirts of Hull but even so there are some extremely nice areas in Hull. We don’t all walk around with whippets and wear flat caps I will have you know.

UKtramp:

Castillidie:

Really, then you do not know Hull. I live on the outskirts of Hull but even so there are some extremely nice areas in Hull. We don’t all walk around with whippets and wear flat caps I will have you know.

Nice place on the outskirts of Hull. Its called Beverley,

I am from Kirk Ella, not far from Beverly,

UKtramp:

Castillidie:

It was a sarcastic comment mate. I know there are some nicer areas BUT there are some real horrible parts as well. I worked there for a couple of years and hated every second of it.

UKtramp:

Blimey, the way you bigged it up I thought it was going to be Swanland at least.

del trotter:

UKtramp:

Blimey, the way you bigged it up I thought it was going to be Swanland at least.

Good lord no, Swanland is a little too rough for me, I was in swanland last week and saw a pigeon just casually sat in a tree and my first thought was how much it has gone downhill. thank god I am in Kirk Ella.