Know your onions

Star down under.:
Nothing wrong with it. It’s travelled to the point of interception without issue. Should an unplanned event, such as severe evasive action, occur the pallet might break up, but will still be confined within the load area. It’s then only a civil dispute between the consignor/consignee and the carrier, if damaged.

If the pallets weigh more than 400kg they have to be secured by RATCHET straps if its a non xl curtain, so there is plenty wrong with it…even though we all know its going nowhere and is perfectly safe, but thems the rules in the UK.

robroy:
The fact that the pallet was still upright after god knows how many miles, kinda makes a good argument that it IS in fact sufficient and secure.

Peculiar argument there:
Because a pallet travels 50 km, it cannot fall over in the next 50?
If it travels 10km then it wont fall over in the next 100km?

Because something hasn`t happened yet, then it will not happen in the future.
Nonsense.

Because I have spun the pistol and pulled the trigger 3 times, I cannot be shot the next time. :smiley:

I dont think that pallet is likely to spill onto the road, nor lean over and drag the truck with it. But it doesnt look like it has been secured according to the rules.
Do it right and save yourself grief and your wallet, or be a rebel and just “get on with it”? Driver`s choice.

shullbit:

Star down under.:
Nothing wrong with it. It’s travelled to the point of interception without issue. Should an unplanned event, such as severe evasive action, occur the pallet might break up, but will still be confined within the load area. It’s then only a civil dispute between the consignor/consignee and the carrier, if damaged.

If the pallets weigh more than 400kg they have to be secured by RATCHET straps if its a non xl curtain, so there is plenty wrong with it…even though we all know its going nowhere and is perfectly safe, but thems the rules in the UK.

Yep exactly not difficult is it.

Franglais:

robroy:
The fact that the pallet was still upright after god knows how many miles, kinda makes a good argument that it IS in fact sufficient and secure.

Snip…

Nonsense.

Because I have spun the pistol and pulled the trigger 3 times, I cannot be shot the next time. :smiley:

Snip… ]

You can’t play Russian Roulette with a pistol…

Franglais:

robroy:

Peculiar argument there:
Because a pallet travels 50 km, it cannot fall over in the next 50?
If it travels 10km then it wont fall over in the next 100km?

Nonsense.

I dont think that pallet is likely to spill onto the road, nor lean over and drag the truck with it. But it doesnt look like it has been secured according to the rules.
Do it right and save yourself grief and your wallet, or be a rebel and just “get on with it”? Driver`s choice.

No it wouldn’t throw the truck over, you’re right.
Worse case scenario? a few bags of onions on the trailer deck for the driver to re stack,…and at least he had made a (so far) successful attempt to secure it.

Ok Frangers,.so does it work both ways?..I’ve just bought a lottery ticket so I m about to give my lot a bell telling them to shove it, on the likliehood I’m going to win. :smiley:

Say wtf you like and chuck the obligatory rules and regs at me, we all know how you like them and how they MUST be obeyed to the absolute letter,.what , with you definitely not being ‘‘A rebel’’ :smiley:
.I still say potential ■■■■ up or not, secure or insecure , there was definitely room for discretion in this particular case, for the reasons I laid out, rather than automatically fine the guy.

robroy:
there was definitely room for discretion in this particular case, for the reasons I laid out, rather than automatically fine the guy.

The trouble with discretion is that is a matter of judgment.

The rules as written stop an over zealous cop as much as they stop dangerous loads. Youve got a 300kg pallet and he says "internals arent enough"…No.
The rules are plain enough. I haven`t said they are always sensible, but if we know what they are, (and we should!) then

Franglais:

drover:

shullbit:

Star down under.:

Yep exactly not difficult is it.

Pretty much it.

Thanks for the clarification,.I can now do my job safe in the knowledge that ‘‘I’m adhering to the Rules’’…thanks again. :wink: :smiley:

shullbit:

Star down under.:

Fair enough, but it’s still a case of…

As others have said: “It looks okay to me.”

On the other hand, when I was doing multidrop, that pallet would have been against the headboard with an upsidedown pallet on top and a couple of straps. I never had problems with asking FLT drivers to rearrange my load if that was necessary. This is very similar to the wobbly shrink-wrapped pallets of bottled water we used to get from Scotland.

I’d of personally put a ratchet over it , 2 min job ,

Pallet on the top with 2 ratshit straps.

Ken.

Optimum:
The most slippery loads I recall were kitchen laminate worktops out of Kronospan, Chirk. They always moved.

They don’t if you strap them properly and drive accordingly. Shifted hundreds of trailers with them on at Hygena/MFI/Howdens over the years. On a stack two packs/pallets high three over the top, one over the bottom pack. On a stack three packs high two over the bottom two, three over the top. Same with chipboard, even with the large 3-4.5 tonne packs we move.

If I was stopped I’d be asking ok fair enough. So you tell me how it should be secured down.
There quick at telling us it’s not secure. But not so forward at telling us.how it should be done.
I’d of been asking them to show me.tell me how do I secure it then. And if they don’t know just say we how do I know then?

Conor:

roughyed:
GMP posted these pictures on twitter tonight that the straps on the truck were not designed to hold this load. They prohibited the driver and fined him. What is the correct way to secure this pallet?

The driver should have asked the police who issued the fine. If the answer from the police was the inevitable “you’re the driver, you’re supposed to know” then the response to that should be “if you don’t know how it should be secured then why have you issued me with a ticket and prohibition?”

But they don’t need to know or tell the driver how to secure it, they just need to know what the rules are on securing loads so that they can then determine if a load is secured or not according to the published rules.

You may not agree with what the rules are, but that’s pretty much irrelevant when stopped, you’re either compliant or you’re not.

The load in the pic is not compliant, as anyone who has read the rules will know, so it’s not surprise that they were fined.

People are arguing the equivalent of I’m safe driving 6 hours without a break, but we all know if you practice that you’re gonna get fined as you’re only allowed to drive for 4.5, but the majority haven’t got a clue what the equivalent of 4.5 is.

I’m always surprised that people rely on internals for securing heavy loads. At the end of the day, the security of the whole load depends on the 4 bolts holding the rail in place!

Personally I’d put a pallet on top then two ratchet straps over the top.

Blowing up the picture, The diagonal across the rear isn’t attached to the platform, it looks like it is hooked onto the pallet. It should also be the strap from the roof rail forward of the one securing the pallet sideways. Onion nets are slippery things, but the whole pallet is netted.

edd1974:
If I was stopped I’d be asking ok fair enough. So you tell me how it should be secured down.
There quick at telling us it’s not secure. But not so forward at telling us.how it should be done.
I’d of been asking them to show me.tell me how do I secure it then. And if they don’t know just say we how do I know then?

Um you know because you’re a fully qualified Professional driver! You also passed the driver cpc!

Good job they didn’t pull me. They wouldn’t have found any straps. It’s a pallet of onion ffs, not a load of sheet steel. All you’ve got to do is drive like miss Daisy and it’ll be fine.

why not say " ok driver good job ,but I would have put another strap here" then explained why then let him get on his way. What a fine start to the day that would have been