Knot advice please

One for the real drivers here… [emoji13]

I’ve my mod4 soon so been practicing my dolly, but felt might be handy to learn clove, scaff, and coiling up as I hate lazy heaping practices.

All going well but my hard shoulder found nylons a bit dead now hahaha so question is…

Any other good basic knots to look out for, or are they just looking for the dolly and thats your lot?

And is my blue 3ply nylon still acceptable or should I be using organic vegan unicorn strands weaved with carbon?

I’ve watched a few vids, they all show doing the dolly but not initial securing hence I done scaff if I get a hook, an clove if a bar or the like only coz I had visions of turning up on test day to find a coiled rat nest on floor, thus I’m hoping I may nail a brownie point should the situation arise…[emoji24][emoji38]

So yeah many thankyous in advance as always Gents [emoji41][emoji41]

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

You have just made some old men very happy :laughing:

idrive:
You have just made some old men very happy [emoji38]

[emoji38] [emoji38]

I’m Hopeful they’ll pop in an show their appreciation soon then…

To be honest though mate you are highly unlikely to see a rope on your mod 4.
A ratchet and a chain perhaps, but they will show you exactly what to do with them first

A dolly is all you need to know, but as above, you’ll struggle to find a rope on test day.

If you can splice an eye, stop end and make a dolly, round turn & two half hitches and a bowline, you’ll be fine at the side of the road.

How to coil up a length of rope.

youtube.com/watch?v=vX4Zr0vdGHE

If you can wrap a parcel neatly then you are 3/4 the way there to sheeting.

cav551:

Brilliant that, much appreciated fella [emoji41] [emoji41]

mardybum:
A dolly is all you need to know, but as above, you’ll struggle to find a rope on test day.

If you can splice an eye, stop end and make a dolly, round turn & two half hitches and a bowline, you’ll be fine at the side of the road.

Cheers bud [emoji41][emoji41]

Yeah I’ve heard it’s a lottery if rope or straps…
but tbh I want to drive a truck, not attend its wheel so I’m thinking back to what me dad taught aswell, thus I may then find a job where these skills can be used, as I don’t want to be bored shirtless, I like to graft my hours away so I’m more than happy to rope an sheet if it gets me through a good door…

Or I can noose my kids up if all else fails [emoji106]

Hangmans noose youtu.be/AMCFoudyYxQ

Nylon rope…

Is alright once it’s been used a few times. All it does when new is twist on itself which is a pain. To break in nylon rope, tie one end of it around the end of a trailer and the other end round the back of your unit and drive gently until the rope is stretched tight. After you coil it up it won’t twist on itself any more.

yourhavingalarf:
Nylon rope…

Is alright once it’s been used a few times. All it does when new is twist on itself which is a pain. To break in nylon rope, tie one end of it around the end of a trailer and the other end round the back of your unit and drive gently until the rope is stretched tight. After you coil it up it won’t twist on itself any more.

We used a forklift truck and an iron post. New nylon rope has some surprising spring to it!
As you say, once given a tug, it behaves better.

Quite proud of this hahaha even got my working loop on show [emoji38]

Any of the old guard think it’d look alright hanging off an ERF?

Benjie83:
… thus I’m hoping I may nail a brownie point should the situation arrise

Only one on mod 4 us dolly knot and only met one person so far who was given that (don’t think they had ropes in the box when i did it).

I would doubt most of the examiners would know any other types of knots anyway (except the odd one that’s been an old school driver).

Any job wanting you to rope and sheet I would run from unless they pay an appropriate amount, and thats not £10 / hour by a long way. For that they get a safe, considerate, steering wheel turner.

Benjie83:

That, my boy, is way too neat to be hanging off an ERF! Particularly if it was one with bits of rag flapping to keep the mirrors clean, and a wee bucket tied on the grille which was used to catch the oil dripping out of the Gardner whenever you stopped!!

The rope in that coil is not nylon. It’s cheap and nasty split filament polypropylene. It is easy to knot ant it isn’t too slippy even when new, but as rope goes, it’s pants. When it gets a little bit of wear it absorbs water like a sponge, and when you pull a kinch tight, you get covered in all the crap off the rope. There’s a lot of better rope out there for only a little more money(one I call blue and red is much better, although it is still polyprop). However, if you’re working for somebody, you just have to make the best of what you’re given.
If you are taking rope off a new coil, there is only one correct way to do it to avoid a million kinks, and that’s to take it from the middle, with the coil the right way up. Don’t worry. If you get it wrong, you’ll be the first to know!!

Well done to you for taking an interest and wanting to be good at your job.
With that attitude you almost certainly will be.
Crack on, and good luck.

Old John:

Benjie83:

That, my boy, is way too neat to be hanging off an ERF! Particularly if it was one with bits of rag flapping to keep the mirrors clean, and a wee bucket tied on the grille which was used to catch the oil dripping out of the Gardner whenever you stopped!!

The rope in that coil is not nylon. It’s cheap and nasty split filament polypropylene. It is easy to knot ant it isn’t too slippy even when new, but as rope goes, it’s pants. When it gets a little bit of wear it absorbs water like a sponge, and when you pull a kinch tight, you get covered in all the crap off the rope. There’s a lot of better rope out there for only a little more money(one I call blue and red is much better, although it is still polyprop). However, if you’re working for somebody, you just have to make the best of what you’re given.
If you are taking rope off a new coil, there is only one correct way to do it to avoid a million kinks, and that’s to take it from the middle, with the coil the right way up. Don’t worry. If you get it wrong, you’ll be the first to know!!

Well done to you for taking an interest and wanting to be good at your job.
With that attitude you almost certainly will be.
Crack on, and good luck.

Thanks John, really appreciate your input, and encouraging words bud [emoji482][emoji482]

Yeah Im gonna keep practicing, make em pretty lol, just gotta stretch this cheap poly a bit more lol, I’d have bought proper rope but funds are tight at the mo [emoji57]

Im, like a few have stated am doubtful I’ll ever get to do much of the old game… esp if I secure the job on offer once passed… but in my opinion it never hurts to have a few strings on the bow, lost count of the amount of times my dad would help other drivers out back in the day, if they were out sheeting steel in hurds lol, it was just the norm everyone lent hands is what I remember, it’s what I knew from my early days and I’ve carried it on as I go, jump out an push a car if it’s broke down, offer if you see a stranded soul or shuttle a plater on their travels…

Just a nicer way of life and I’m bolloxed if I’m changing my nature, just more cautions of when to use it now sadly but hey I may make it to the outback and live the dream, then who knows what knots I’ll need to create, or I can noose myself up if I fudge up so one way or another I’ll use em… [emoji38]

Again, Many many thanks John [emoji41][emoji41]

cav551:

Quite a few of ’ the old guard’ will be stroking their Gentleman over this video.

I would look on utube for the barrel knot for use on 205 litre oil drums or anything round, I could show you easily but not explain it, and if I found it on utube I am not sure I can post it on here, I will look and come back

hotel magnum:
I would look on utube for the barrel knot for use on 205 litre oil drums or anything round, I could show you easily but not explain it, and if I found it on utube I am not sure I can post it on here, I will look and come back

Will do, cheers bud [emoji482]

Some of us still do it regularly, in fact tomorows job is roping and sheeting, not rolls of paper and timber like we used to do but i still have to throw a sheet about a couple of times a week

E428B755-344B-4D6D-AB1A-2875DDD97D94.jpeg
Every day a different a load ,somehow I never have the time to perfect .