Knocking on the doors next week

It is my intention to go knocking the doors next week looking for work! Whats the best way to get to speak with the correct person as apposed to receptionist? should i make up little business cards with my details and licence held ect on that i can leave with them? all helpfull comments will be gratefully receaved as i am not the most confident person to just go ad hock knocking doors!! :neutral_face:

This

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=79308

The greggs job i have applied for as seen it advertised, but i am thinking of just going round the doors seeing what is available

Good luck matey
Hope you get a break just make sure you have equipment in car ready to go ,high viz boots , digi card etc
You never know someone may have just rung in sick :wink:
Heres hoping
Jen x

You can’t beat face to face contact, especially if you’re as good looking and as charming as me.

It can be difficult to get past the monkeys to speak to the organ grinder. Persistence is the key, don’t give up just because some sixteen year old receptionist tells you to jog on. Keep pestering them until you get to speak to the main man. If he tells you to do one then it’s time to move onto the next door. Make the right impression though and a job will be yours. This approach worked for me.

cheers jennie i hope so… there is a company not far from me advertising but you need a hiab cert so i was gonna go have a chat and make them aware i will pay for hiab cert myself if they give me a chance,nerver know if you dont try eh… one thing that just ma be in my favour is the wage is only £7 an hour so hopefully i may get in there with a small chance :wink:

dodester:
i am not the most confident person to just go ad hock knocking doors!! :neutral_face:

This is what you have to overcome. You won’t get a job by being timid, or sending emails. Nobody will be angry if you call in and ask them about work. At worst they will be indifferent or dismissive, but more often than not they will keep your details for future reference. Then one day you will get the call.

You don’t need business cards, take along photocopies of your driving licence with your mobile phone number written on it, even if you just give it to the receptionist, she will forward it to the transport manager, unlike the spoken word.

Honestly though mate, I don’t want to appear rude, but you really are going to have to “grow a pair” if you want to drive a truck, otherwise you will just be bullied and pushed around.

Most jobs you see advertised are all ready gone
You have to be there before the job is advertised :open_mouth:

cheers guys and girls… Roll on tommorow onwards and upwards :wink:

Hi Dobster
It does work mate i have done it saw an advert for tipper driver it said EXPEARIENCE neaded but I just phoned up and said im being honest I have no expearience with tippers but im willing to learn and will work hard for the chance … was asked to go for Interview next day then asked if i minded doing Nights and do 3 nights training no pay once I said no i dont mind I got a start date :smiley: after my 2nd night I was given the Job and on full pay … £10 hr … now OK i didnt stay long as i did not like the tarmac side of the job but the stone and sand side was easy … :smiley: and i did get a reference when i left another Big Plus was i now have expearience on tippers … :smiley: as well as curtain side/box van /refridgeration and Hiab
My point is even though they may advertise for expearience drivers some people are willing to give a new driver a chance but you have to make that first move … Like Harry says you will have to have OO like steel and when you hear the word NO as you will a few times just keep trying and dont give up mate … :wink:
Im re taking my C/E on the 21st and if its third time lucky mate on the 23rd i will be out there right behind you knocking on doors and hitting all the European transport companies i can find … another thing to do is when you are out and about make a note of the adverts on the side and back of trucks …and give them a Ring / talk to as many other drivers as you can and ask them what the company is like to work for … :slight_smile: .
When you hear NO NO NO just keep telling you self that some one out there neads a driver and keep going .
All the best ROY

i did this last week as i just been finished from my last firm i printed loads of cvs of with cover letters threw em in the car and drove around for nearly 6 hrs i started with driving to the ones i knew of then googling the rest i walked in every place and asked to speak to a person that deals with recrutment or the tm if i got hold of anyone id say hi im cliff and looking for work bla bla bla and hand them a letter with everything they needed to know i even filled a few aplication forms out
i too like smashed face thinks it looks better the fact you have taken the time to drive to there place and speak to them in person it shows willing

I’ll be thinking about you tomorrow mate as I’ll be out doing the same. Time to get my ■■■ out there and find the work I need/want :smiley:

One thing I have offered as well is a week trial with no pay to try and get foot in door depending on your circumstances. Coz then you will see if thats where you wannabe or if it the company for you. Plus persistance (not as far as stalking lol) is the advice I have been given.